ADVERTISEMENT

The Search Could Have Been Better

One word. Disaster.

When coaching candidates are coming up that keep on missing the mark that’s very concerning. Troubling.

The main requisite for a TU coach is having established roots or connections to Texas. It’s the lifeblood of the program.

Aside from GJ Kinne, no candidate has deep roots to Texas. Marion has skipped from job to job. Wells has spent the last decade primarily in Utah. Odom’s focus has been in MO, KS, and Arkansas.

We have heard nothing from or about Gillespie in quite some time. The old ball coach may have delayed any communique till after the conference championship, or he may have just taken a pass on the job.

The results at Arkansas this year don’t lend any great confidence in hiring Odom. None. Zilch. Marion? People forget he was kicked off the TU team, and he’s never really held on to a job very long at all. He’s a professional “job hopper”. Look at his resume’.
Let the record show…It was Johnson and not Marion that was dismissed from the team.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I was hoping that they had a name to announce today. The transfer portal officially opens tomorrow. How much of an exodus are we going to have?

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
I was hoping that they had a name to announce today. The transfer portal officially opens tomorrow. How much of an exodus are we going to have?
That’s my concern, too. You’d sure like the new coach to have a chance to visit with players before the official portal opening tomorrow . That’s why there’s been so many coaches hired this past week. There didn’t use to be this major deadline.

That’s my concern, too. You’d sure like the new coach to have a chance to visit with players before the official portal opening tomorrow . That’s why there’s been so many coaches hired this past week. There didn’t use to be this major deadline.
Correct but the portal used to not be just like free agency either. It’s getting more lax as the years go on

Looking on the lines, it seems that a lot of schools have already hired coaches whose teams are still playing. Maybe it used to be the rule that you'd wait til their seasons were done but not anymore, probably for exactly the reason you and Loca point out.

Reactions: loca2874
Still think Odom makes to much and we won’t be willing to pay more on the chance he will be great coach

Still think Odom makes to much and we won’t be willing to pay more on the chance he will be great coach
You keep posting that, but you are the only one who thinks money would be a problem. Do you have inside sources on this? It’s been mentioned in other places that they will pay more for certain candidates.

Edit to add: you may be right! He may have been asking for a lot of money & guaranteed money. I think most on here are relieved, regardless of why he may no longer be in consideration.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the search is taking so long. Most jobs that opened at the same time are filled. Not getting "firm hand on the rudder" vibes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT