ADVERTISEMENT

The Search Could Have Been Better

Oak775

I.T.S. Sophomore
Gold Member
May 31, 2020
One word. Disaster.

When coaching candidates are coming up that keep on missing the mark that’s very concerning. Troubling.

The main requisite for a TU coach is having established roots or connections to Texas. It’s the lifeblood of the program.

Aside from GJ Kinne, no candidate has deep roots to Texas. Marion has skipped from job to job. Wells has spent the last decade primarily in Utah. Odom’s focus has been in MO, KS, and Arkansas.

We have heard nothing from or about Gillespie in quite some time. The old ball coach may have delayed any communique till after the conference championship, or he may have just taken a pass on the job.

The results at Arkansas this year don’t lend any great confidence in hiring Odom. None. Zilch. Marion? He’s never really held on to a job very long at all. He’s a professional “job hopper”. Look at his resume’.

Last edited:
One word. Disaster.

When coaching candidates are coming up that keep on missing the mark that’s very concerning. Troubling.

The main requisite for a TU coach is having established roots or connections to Texas. It’s the lifeblood of the program.

Aside from GJ Kinne, no candidate has deep roots to Texas. Marion has skipped from job to job. Wells has spent the last decade primarily in Utah. Odom’s focus has been in MO, KS, and Arkansas.

We have heard nothing from or about Gillespie in quite some time. The old ball coach may have delayed any communique till after the conference championship, or he may have just taken a pass on the job.

The results at Arkansas this year don’t lend any great confidence in hiring Odom. None. Zilch. Marion? People forget he was kicked off the TU team, and he’s never really held on to a job very long at all. He’s a professional “job hopper”. Look at his resume’.
I don’t recall Marion being kicked off the team. He played 2 years at TU and finished both years….

For some reason, some posters mistake Marion for Demaris Johnson. Both were very fast, talented players, but only Johnson was suspended.
I figured that’s who they were thinking of but I didn’t want to assume. I just don’t understand how those two get confused. I remember Johnson being one of the best returners I’ve ever seen. Marion was one of the best deep threats I’ve ever seen. Two different things.

I guess lying about Marion is cool with you then.
It wasn't a lie, he mistakenly confused the two. Mistakes are made by good people. His body of posts says he is not an idiot. I'm going by that, instead of one mistake.

I don't agree with this posts point, but I don"t call him an idiot for it.

Reactions: rusty-c
There's been no info from official channels leaving a vacuum that's been filled by troublemakers who want to piss us off, speculators, opportunists trying to promote their careers and maybe trial balloons for all we know, which makes the process look chaotic. But I don't think we have any idea how the process is going. Maybe the admin could have been a little more open to give more faith in the process but until we get a hire, who knows how it's going?

One word. Disaster.

The results at Arkansas this year don’t lend any great confidence in hiring Odom. None. Zilch. Marion? People forget he was kicked off the TU team, and he’s never really held on to a job very long at all. He’s a professional “job hopper”. Look at his resume’.

Looks like Texas was the state he signed most recruits.
I'm not in the Odom corner. If he's hired, depending on who he hires as OC and other staff positions. I give him more of a chance than I gave Haith.

Last edited:
There's been no info from official channels leaving a vacuum that's been filled by troublemakers who want to piss us off, speculators, opportunists trying to promote their careers and maybe trial balloons for all we know, which makes the process look chaotic. But I don't think we have any idea how the process is going. Maybe the admin could have been a little more open to give more faith in the process but until we get a hire, who knows how it's going?
They don’t need to tell anyone anything. Why risk leaks?

There is a process and until an official announcement is made, none of us have any idea who the coach will be, despite NW Ark trying to pay us back for almost hiring Gragg.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Too many fair weather fans threatening to stop attending games when they probably don’t even go in the first place.

Sit out there at midnight in 20 degree weather then tell us what you think.
Monk's and non fair weather fan's, things in common?

They don’t need to tell anyone anything. Why risk leaks?
Of course, that's so obvious that I'm not sure why it even needs to be said. The question isn't do they "have to" say anything but would it be a good idea. Those are 2 entirely different questions. The reason they would do it is, as I said in my prior post, to build confidence in the process and shut down some of the rumors. I'm not saying they should say "we're interviewing X, Y and Z" but they could say this is our timeline and process. I honestly don't know if it would be on net better to do that or not, but it's an open question and the longer the process drags on, the more it would be beneficial.

We already saw a basketball coaching search play out something like:

- leak several names ranging from decent to terrible to the press
- pretend the worst of those candidates was the leader for the job
- hire somebody decent and not previously mentioned but fans get excited about because he’s way better than the worst choice we thought we were getting

Don’t see any reason to get worked up at this point

We already saw a basketball coaching search play out something like:

- leak several names ranging from decent to terrible to the press
- pretend the worst of those candidates was the leader for the job
- hire somebody decent and not previously mentioned but fans get excited about because he’s way better than the worst choice we thought we were getting

Don’t see any reason to get worked up at this point
Backhanded compliment for Konkol. The guy will get it going, we just need to get through this season so the roster rebuild can start. But I agree with most of the sentiments.

Backhanded compliment for Konkol. The guy will get it going, we just need to get through this season so the roster rebuild can start. But I agree with most of the sentiments.

I’m just saying I’m sure expectations management is part of the process, and given the sh!tshow at USF(fans being dumb) I can see why you’d want to

Last edited:
Reactions: t-townpod
Cool story brah
Lighten up, Francis. We're all tense here right now. Things seem not to be going our way but we don't really know. My guess is that we'll know within 24-48 hours.

I would post that clip from "Pulp Fiction" where Marcellas Wallace assures Jules that he's sending the Wolf to help but it would violate several rules of this board. We can always hope that the Wolf is on his way.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Hello Peter…..what’s happening?
Milton, since you're down here, it would be really great if you could just sort of take care of the cockroach problem we've been having in here... So, for now why don't you get ahead and get yourself a flashlight and a can of pesticide and crawl back...

Reactions: dougheffking
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT