ADVERTISEMENT

The Ohio State Scandal and Coach Urban Meyer

Urbs just released a statement that he followed Title IX protocol. Which would mean he lied at Big10 media days when asked.

I do not even believe this fall under Title IX. Smith’s ex-wife was not an employee or a student at OSU and thus her ability to pursue/continue being a student or employee was not infringed upon. Title IX only applies to an educational setting and those under the umbrella of the university (employees and students). Just because an employee or a student at a university commits an act of sexual assault or violence against someone doesn’t mean it falls under Title IX. The victim would also have to be a member of said university community and reasonable argument can be made that due to said act, the individual’s ability to continue their education or employment would be in doubt if the alleged attacker were still around. This is what differentiates Baylor’s situation from Penn State and the Ohio State cases.

Remember the Pat Swilling issue at TU? Alleged to have sexually assaulted another student. TU immediately suspended him. My guess is TU also told PS3 to keep his distance from the victim, not have any contact, not have his friends contact her. TU would have also taken steps to make sure the victim could continue classes if she wanted to and make accommodations for her as well. I am assuming TU took the appropriate steps as I believe the lawsuit on title IX violations was dismissed.

That said, none of the coaches at Ohio State had any responsibility under Title IX to make a report with the university. I’m not saying Urban Meyer didn’t have a responsibility to get that dirt bag away from that environment and possibly even intervene or call the police. That’s just being a decent human being.

Urban was required by his contract and university policy to report to the school’s Title 9 director any knowledge of conduct which could have violated Ohio State’s sexual misconduct policy. This standard is much broader than the Title 9 standard and would apply to all university employees. Because of the way the university’s official policy is written, Urban’s conduct does appear to fall under the Ohio State Title 9 umbrella.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT