ADVERTISEMENT

The American Huddle (football round up)

Lord almighty! This is spiraling! We’ll be fine... and if not, it’ll make many trustees and nearly all the faculty wet themselves with joy.

Now back to adding the extra sports pack on directv so I can watch one channel for 3.5 hours.

So we pay Navy $2M per year for what amounts to one televised game?

It looks like its all the Navy AAC road games, 1 AAC home game and the Navy- Notre Dame game every other year

It looks like its all the Navy AAC road games, 1 AAC home game and the Navy- Notre Dame game every other year

Right....but the AAC would have the rights to most of those Navy road games anyway as their home games for AAC schools. The only games the conference would gain this season is Navy at Hawaii and one home game. Apparently that's worth almost half of what the other schools receive for a full slate of games AND all other sports combined.

That is not a separate deal. The navy CBS sports money will be rolled into the overall media deal and distributed equally.

CBS sports is guaranteed four navy name games and they get the Air Force navy game no matter what.

The most likely out come is a set of packages sold. This is just one package. The AAC keeps the most valuable game the Notre Dame at Navy game which is worth about 3 million dollars every other year (which is what NBC pays for it) and one other home game (which is 1st choice).

Navy also signed a separate deal with CBS sports for some Olympic sports not under the AAC umbrella. Navy also retains rights and revenue to the Army-Navy game which is signed to CBS.

This deal means Army and Navy home games will be the central highlight games of CBS sports football Saturday and Navy gets to ensure it's home Saturday afternoon games as is traditionally done.

This actually means we will get a little more in pay out for the media.

Last edited:
Lol no, the reason the p5 don't schedule us is money. Bubba Cunningham screwed us. Our stadium is too small to produce the revenue for us to pay enough for Iowa St or Purdue, Pitt, or Indiana to give up a home game. They also pay a lot less than Ohio St or Michigan St do for a buy out game so we don't even see them on the road. Unlike say Tulane or Georgia State we are also not in a recruiting hotbed to offset our financial short comings. Even so Tulsa does a bad job of scheduling and I'm not sure we have any guide for it other than the bottom line.
How many seat do we need to add, so we can schedule home games with purdue, pitt, Illinois, indiana .. .. ..
How much would that cost?

I am locking this thread...

LOCKED!!!!!
I don’t actually have the ability to lock anything.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Lol no, the reason the p5 don't schedule us is money. Bubba Cunningham screwed us. Our stadium is too small to produce the revenue for us to pay enough for Iowa St or Purdue, Pitt, or Indiana to give up a home game. They also pay a lot less than Ohio St or Michigan St do for a buy out game so we don't even see them on the road. Unlike say Tulane or Georgia State we are also not in a recruiting hotbed to offset our financial short comings. Even so Tulsa does a bad job of scheduling and I'm not sure we have any guide for it other than the bottom line.
How many seat do we need to add, so we can schedule home games with purdue, pitt, Illinois, indiana .. .. ..
Hell, I’d settle for Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Mizzou. Why aren’t we trying to schedule games against like schools like Northwestern, Vandy, Wake Forest, & Duke?

Well that actually all kind of depends. Theoretically we could do it with a 10,000 seat stadium with 200 dollar tickets and sell outs every game.

More realistically with our current price structure probably around 35,000 and regularly selling 26,000 tickets. At that point the extra bump from a total sell out or close would create enough extra cash to make signing a deal feasible.

I have no idea what the cost would be to get to 35,000 but with tariffs going into effect and the economy growing it can only be going up.

I worked for the athletic department as a student when they first started thinking they could make over Skelly. Originally the idea was for 33-35,000 seats. My understanding is Bubba wanted to capitalize off the program success and pad his resume for a future P5 job so we got "30,000" instead.

Hell, I’d settle for Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Mizzou. Why aren’t we trying to schedule games against like schools like Northwestern, Vandy, Wake Forest, & Duke?

This is what I meant about not having scheduling guidelines. If we we're smart we would spread our two for ones, with OU and OSU, out and arrange them so when we host is the SMU/Tulane conference home schedule.

If we have games vs an FCS opponent we need to have them as the opener (which we have done lately) and they should be a regional known name (which we have also done). Examples would be Missouri St., UAPB, UCA, Stephen F Austin, or teams like Northern Iowa who we had history with. If we can they should be paired with a P5 home game.

I do like the buy games they are lining up, lower top tier teams like Michigan St are games our better teams will be competitive in and could pull off an upset.

We need to try and sign home and homes with teams that are lower end P5s non-traditional powers . Iowa St, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas St., Missouri, Illinois, Wake Forrest, Duke, Vandy, Boston College, Baylor etc. These games are winnable and teams who have signed home and homes with other aac conference members. They're also names casual fans will know.

G5 games need to be regional (Arkansas St, Texas St, UNT, La Tech) or known names (BYU, Boise St, Army) and paired together with the Houston/Memphis/Navy games.

Doing this would give us a more balanced and attractive home schedule, appeal to a casual fan and hopefully bring a few visiting fans in when they're not as well known.

Home schedules of

Army, North Texas, Houston, Cincy, Navy, Memphis

OSU, SFA, Tulane, SMU, UCF, ECU

BYU, UTSA, Memphis, Houston, Temple, Navy

OU, Missouri St, Tulane, SMU, USF, UConn

La Tech, Kansas, Houston, Navy, Memphis, Cincy

Missouri, Hawaii, SMU, UCF, ECU, Tulane

UNI*, Arkansas St, New Mexico, UConn, Memphis, Navy, Houston

*Extra game from Hawaii.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Well that actually all kind of depends. Theoretically we could do it with a 10,000 seat stadium with 200 dollar tickets and sell outs every game.

More realistically with our current price structure probably around 35,000 and regularly selling 26,000 tickets. At that point the extra bump from a total sell out or close would create enough extra cash to make signing a deal feasible.

I have no idea what the cost would be to get to 35,000 but with tariffs going into effect and the economy growing it can only be going up.

I worked for the athletic department as a student when they first started thinking they could make over Skelly. Originally the idea was for 33-35,000 seats. My understanding is Bubba wanted to capitalize off the program success and pad his resume for a future P5 job so we got "30,000" instead.

This is what I meant about not having scheduling guidelines. If we we're smart we would spread our two for ones, with OU and OSU, out and arrange them so when we host is the SMU/Tulane conference home schedule.

If we have games vs an FCS opponent we need to have them as the opener (which we have done lately) and they should be a regional known name (which we have also done). Examples would be Missouri St., UAPB, UCA, Stephen F Austin, or teams like Northern Iowa who we had history with. If we can they should be paired with a P5 home game.

I do like the buy games they are lining up, lower top tier teams like Michigan St are games our better teams will be competitive in and could pull off an upset.

We need to try and sign home and homes with teams that are lower end P5s non-traditional powers . Iowa St, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas St., Missouri, Illinois, Wake Forrest, Duke, Vandy, Boston College, Baylor etc. These games are winnable and teams who have signed home and homes with other aac conference members. They're also names casual fans will know.

G5 games need to be regional (Arkansas St, Texas St, UNT, La Tech) or known names (BYU, Boise St, Army) and paired together with the Houston/Memphis/Navy games.

Doing this would give us a more balanced and attractive home schedule, appeal to a casual fan and hopefully bring a few visiting fans in when they're not as well known.

Home schedules of

Army, North Texas, Houston, Cincy, Navy, Memphis

OSU, SFA, Tulane, SMU, UCF, ECU

BYU, UTSA, Memphis, Houston, Temple, Navy

OU, Missouri St, Tulane, SMU, USF, UConn

La Tech, Kansas, Houston, Navy, Memphis, Cincy

Missouri, Hawaii, SMU, UCF, ECU, Tulane

UNI*, Arkansas St, New Mexico, UConn, Memphis, Navy, Houston

*Extra game from Hawaii.

TU4ever2 for AD!!! This all sounds realistic and leads to some fantastic home schedules!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT