ADVERTISEMENT

The American Huddle (football round up)

Yeah, as time goes by, im convinced we are done in the AAC. It started with the Navy thing and the TShirts and has been building since then. Which depending on where we go and what the payout is, I’m ok with that. This video is a good example of how absurd the league office has become. They hype Houston getting dogged by Rice and only winning because Rice fell apart over Cincy’s win over a P5 traditionally strong program.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I love a good conspiracy theory, but even the Denver Airport has more evidence than that claim.

Reactions: drboobay
Dont feed the trolls.

Huffycane you’re an idiot.
Been getting that my whole life. People overwhelmingly come back a few weeks months or years later and tell me I was right. See you then.

Been getting that my whole life. People overwhelmingly come back a few weeks months or years later and tell me I was right. See you then.

Just so we’re clear - you’re saying that we’re getting kicked out of the AAC. Is that correct?

You can’t be serious that Huffy is the only one who realizes we’re the red headed stepchild of the AAC? We’re clearly not part of their programming vision. I don’t think they’re in any hurry to get us out but I’m sure if a shuffling happened they wouldn’t be distraught if we found another home. And in the meantime, they’re going to do us no favors.

Kinda reminds me of Red Forman.

giphy.gif

Reactions: cmullinsTU
You can’t be serious that Huffy is the only one who realizes we’re the red headed stepchild of the AAC? We’re clearly not part of their programming vision. I don’t think they’re in any hurry to get us out but I’m sure if a shuffling happened they wouldn’t be distraught if we found another home. And in the meantime, they’re going to do us no favors.
Our team was 2-10 last year.

I don't think this was done intentionally and my op was tongue in cheek. I do not think we are getting kicked out.

However it's not good when the conference overlooks us even accidently.

It's more concerning when we are about to play a name opponent and don't even get a mention on a production that covers that sport.

If we win on Saturday there had better be an apology before they run our highlights and start talking p6 with the win.

It's just disrespectful and shows the amateurish nature of it. At least make sure you count, so every conference member is at least represented on a round up of the conference.

Seriously guys, think about it...

Houston, Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis, SMU, and ECU all openly tried to leave the American. UCF, USF and Tulane are probably whispering at other conferences. Meanwhile, the AAC is seriously considering making expansion room for [someone] by kicking out Tulsa because [reasons]. I hear Rice, YALR, and the various Louisiana initials are waiting in the wings. That is, if BYU, Air Force, Boise, and Oklahoma continue to pass on the invites.

It all makes sense.

/damn happy with our conference, now just win

The league tv deal expires in 2020. Some prelim negotiations will begin soon.

We were paid more money last year from league revenues than UCF. They went to the Peach Bowl and won.

We got twice the pay out as Navy.

If you dont bring eyes to the TV table, you had better bring wins. We are doing neither, cutting salaries and even spending school funds to insult the league office. Then we go out and whup arse in the women’s and Olympic sports. We aren’t the best neighbor.

We got a year to start winning and bring home some bowl and tourney money or the AAC will certainly be looking for better dance partners. In my opinion, that process has already begun.

The league tv deal expires in 2020. Some prelim negotiations will begin soon.

We were paid more money last year from league revenues than UCF. They went to the Peach Bowl and won.

We got twice the pay out as Navy.

If you dont bring eyes to the TV table, you had better bring wins. We are doing neither, cutting salaries and even spending school funds to insult the league office. Then we go out and whup arse in the women’s and Olympic sports. We aren’t the best neighbor.

We got a year to start winning and bring home some bowl and tourney money or the AAC will certainly be looking for better dance partners. In my opinion, that process has already begun.
You're wrong. Period.

I couldn't even finish that hyper shouty amateur hour video.
It’s pretty sad the level of talent they can afford when you consider the league office pays the Commish nearly $2.0 million dollars yearly. Almost as much the league paid Navy last year.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Why would we have received less than UCF & Navy?

He's wrong.

UConn, USF, and Cincy make more and is based on the big east money from the divorce. The alomony is why they haven't cried too much about the AAC media deal.

UCF, Houston, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, Memphis, ECU, and Temple make the same pay out roughly (they pay for some bowl expenses and I believe you get an extra payout for a ny6 game).

Navy gets a 70% share because they are football only. They also keep revenue and media rights from the Army-Navy game. They also sold some Olympic sports to cbssn so they make a nice chunk.

Wichita gets a ham sandwich (no cheese, one mustard packet, on dry white bread) for each player and coach for away games. They may also get a slightly bigger share of their tourney credits. They paid a 2 million plus entry fee and will get in on the next media deal probably for the 30% share left over from Navy.

He's wrong.

UConn, USF, and Cincy make more and is based on the big east money from the divorce. The alomony is why they haven't cried too much about the AAC media deal.

UCF, Houston, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, Memphis, ECU, and Temple make the same pay out roughly (they pay for some bowl expenses and I believe you get an extra payout for a ny6 game).

Navy gets a 70% share because they are football only. They also keep revenue and media rights from the Army-Navy game. They also sold some Olympic sports to cbssn so they make a nice chunk.

Wichita gets a ham sandwich (no cheese, one mustard packet, on dry white bread) for each player and coach for away games. They may also get a slightly bigger share of their tourney credits. They paid a 2 million plus entry fee and will get in on the next media deal probably for the 30% share left over from Navy.
I research and argue for a living. I’ve been doing it for twenty years and I’m pretty good at it. So you might want to think twice before you argue facts with me. I’ll tell you when it’s my opinion. And you can feel free to disagree or ignore me. Just don’t tell me I’m wrong about facts. You can bet I know a bit. That said, thanks for the explanation why the Navy share is low. That makes sense and was helpful.

However, contrary to your assertion, we got 20% more than UCF, roughly, from the league in 2016-17, which is the most recent publicly available numbers. We got $4.9 million. UCF $4 mill and change.

You are right that the core non-Big East schools all get roughly the same media payout ($2 million), but that’s only a portion of the total revenue paid to each school. (If you are scoring at home, LSU pays their defensive coordinator more than TU’s entire athletic department media income share.).

The exclusive negotiations with ESPN open Feb 1, 2019 and last 30 days. Our commish is a tv dinosaur exec who thinks streaming isn’t going to be an important factor to our negotiations. Go luck with that pal. Texas almost makes more on its streaming contract alone now that our entire conference media contract.

The good news is that the ink will likely dry on a third AAC deal before the next SEC negotiation in 2025. Musical chairs realignment is likeky not to occur before then. But recent history has proven that conferences will show an underperforming school to the door if they aren’t going to fulfill their obligations.

We need to win. Now.

Source:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ron-365/os-sp-aac-revenue-20180531-story.html

Last edited:
The inequity among the P5s and the rest in revenue is striking. Every Big12 school received over $40M in revenue last year. That $35M more than TU and that number doesn’t count ticket sales, donations, etc.. Imagine what TU athletics could do with an additional $35M in annual revenue.

The inequity among the P5s and the rest in revenue is striking. Every Big12 school received over $40M in revenue last year. That $35M more than TU and that number doesn’t count ticket sales, donations, etc.. Imagine what TU athletics could do with an additional $35M in annual revenue.

I’ve actually thought about this before... it definitely makes you wonder. It also makes one wonder what those schools who receive that type of money and still underachieve.

I research and argue for a living. I’ve been doing it for twenty years and I’m pretty good at it. So you might want to think twice before you argue facts with me. I’ll tell you when it’s my opinion. And you can feel free to disagree or ignore me. Just don’t tell me I’m wrong about facts. You can bet I know a bit. That said, thanks for the explanation why the Navy share is low. That makes sense and was helpful.

However, contrary to your assertion, we got 20% more than UCF, roughly, from the league in 2016-17, which is the most recent publicly available numbers. We got $4.9 million. UCF $4 mill and change.

You are right that the core non-Big East schools all get roughly the same media payout ($2 million), but that’s only a portion of the total revenue paid to each school. (If you are scoring at home, LSU pays their defensive coordinator more than TU’s entire athletic department media income share.).

The exclusive negotiations with ESPN open Feb 1, 2019 and last 30 days. Our commish is a tv dinosaur exec who thinks streaming isn’t going to be an important factor to our negotiations. Go luck with that pal. Texas almost makes more on its streaming contract alone now that our entire conference media contract.

The good news is that the ink will likely dry on a third AAC deal before the next SEC negotiation in 2025. Musical chairs realignment is likeky not to occur before then. But recent history has proven that conferences will show an underperforming school to the door if they aren’t going to fulfill their obligations.

We need to win. Now.

Source:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ron-365/os-sp-aac-revenue-20180531-story.html

So say you’re right and we get kicked out... does what mean Tulane/ECU will get kicked out as well? Neither of them has done a damn thing in this conference.

Also along that same line of thinking, why hasn’t the big10 kicked out Illinois or Purdue? Why is Vanderbilt still in the SEC? There are plenty more examples of other schools that underachieve on the reg, but still get the royal treatment... so why do we get kicked out for underachieving when we’re just here for crumbs?

Reactions: astonmartin708
So say you’re right and we get kicked out... does what mean Tulane/ECU will get kicked out as well? Neither of them has done a damn thing in this conference.

Also along that same line of thinking, why hasn’t the big10 kicked out Illinois or Purdue? Why is Vanderbilt still in the SEC? There are plenty more examples of other schools that underachieve on the reg, but still get the royal treatment... so why do we get kicked out for underachieving when we’re just here for crumbs?
Illinois/Purdue/Vanderbilt have decades of historical ties to their conferences, academic credentials in the case of Vanderbilt and Purdue that are considerations. There's other reasons as well. Idaho and New Mexico State got booted out the door of the Sun Belt. That conference lacked the stability and marketshare of your examples when they decided that the future of the conference depended on cutting some dead weight. The schools had no historic ties to the conference and conference was not ingrained in regional sports generally. On the plus side, one of the reasons the AAC got such a raw deal on the football contract was that the conference was not stable when the current contract was negotiated. So Houston, UCF, and the Commish have some incentives to keep things the same. But if ESPN sits down and says we will triple your money if you help us cut costs by severing ties with Tulsa and ECU, you can bet Houston will hold us down while UCF slits our throats.
No school is getting kicked out of any conference. The lawsuit threat is simply to great for a conference to chance taking such action.
Happened in 2016. No law suits yet. What's the sol on an action based upon a written instrument in New Mexico? ....

I’ve actually thought about this before... it definitely makes you wonder. It also makes one wonder what those schools who receive that type of money and still underachieve.
It makes Iowa State the definition of a loser. And it further explains why the low tier P5 schools won't schedule us. Its the height of embarrassment to have that much money and lose to us. It makes things around the conference table a little testy at the summer retreat when the Iron Bowl generates tens of millions of dollars, Vanderbilt takes a portion of that money, spends it on travel to Tulsa and lays an egg. Bama and Auburn start thinking to themselves that it might be better if they shared less money or kept it all in the future. So Vandy stays at home and plays the Citadel. Arguably, its more embarrassing than losing to an FCS school that is typically loaded with P5 transfers and the random NFL draft pick.

Illinois/Purdue/Vanderbilt have decades of historical ties to their conferences, academic credentials in the case of Vanderbilt and Purdue that are considerations. There's other reasons as well. Idaho and New Mexico State got booted out the door of the Sun Belt. That conference lacked the stability and marketshare of your examples when they decided that the future of the conference depended on cutting some dead weight. The schools had no historic ties to the conference and conference was not ingrained in regional sports generally. On the plus side, one of the reasons the AAC got such a raw deal on the football contract was that the conference was not stable when the current contract was negotiated. So Houston, UCF, and the Commish have some incentives to keep things the same. But if ESPN sits down and says we will triple your money if you help us cut costs by severing ties with Tulsa and ECU, you can bet Houston will hold us down while UCF slits our throats.

Happened in 2016. No law suits yet. What's the sol on an action based upon a written instrument in New Mexico? ....

There’s a considerable difference between a one sport member and a full conference member. When was the last time a conference kicked out a full member ? I assume there are in fact instances but they are extremely rare.

I don't care what you do for a living. Arguing with facts will get you no where.

The difference in pay outs is bowl expenses which have a cap level and tourney credit pay outs. Jeez I wonder where the extra pay out is coming from? Notice Temple is up there at almost the exact same amount as us? It' also in the separation of the big east pay off which is a different amount for each sschool.That is why Cincy, UConn, and USF have got close to ten million a year since the split although that money is basically gone.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-aac-uconn-money-0527-20170526-story.html

Here is a link with the numbers from 2013-2014 tax returns. UCF is the highest paid non-big east member.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...nference Revenue&txt=IRS Form 990 for 2013-14

UConn $10.7M
Cincy $10.1M
Louisville $8.6M
USF $8.5M
Rutgers $8.3M
UCF $7.4M
Houston $6.4M
SMU $5.0M
Memphis $5.0M
Temple $4.8M

ESPN had until February 1, 2019 to use its exclusive period. According to the Memphis AD in recent radio interview we are currently in talks with ESPN.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...929espn.radio.com/media/audio-ch...ay-82918-1

It's the 8-29 show.

The commish confirmed it by chosing not to talk media deal, a first in the past year.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/bcsnn/aac-daily-with-c-austin-cox-8-30-18

He also has mentioned in the past that Amazon and Facebook have been interested in live programing and that we would consider appropriate offers. Begins at the 1:07 mark June 12 podcast.
http://www.630wpro.com/podcasts/

Of course we did show our baseball tournament on Facebook too, so it doesn't look like he has a problem with digital platforms.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-849340.html

Again our pay out is roughly equal. 4.9 and 4.1 million is not a big difference especially considering tourney credits and bowl expenses. We went from Tulsa to Miami and they went from Orlando to Boca for our bowls. We have the extra from the tourney credit share.

The conference revenue and media deal are constant subjects on the AAC conference board. I'm up to date on it.

Finally no conference has kicked out a full member....ever. so I'm going to need you to do some research and prove that argument with some evidence.

It makes Iowa State the definition of a loser. And it further explains why the low tier P5 schools won't schedule us. Its the height of embarrassment to have that much money and lose to us. It makes things around the conference table a little testy at the summer retreat when the Iron Bowl generates tens of millions of dollars, Vanderbilt takes a portion of that money, spends it on travel to Tulsa and lays an egg. Bama and Auburn start thinking to themselves that it might be better if they shared less money or kept it all in the future. So Vandy stays at home and plays the Citadel. Arguably, its more embarrassing than losing to an FCS school that is typically loaded with P5 transfers and the random NFL draft pick.

Lol no, the reason the p5 don't schedule us is money. Bubba Cunningham screwed us. Our stadium is too small to produce the revenue for us to pay enough for Iowa St or Purdue, Pitt, or Indiana to give up a home game. They also pay a lot less than Ohio St or Michigan St do for a buy out game so we don't even see them on the road. Unlike say Tulane or Georgia State we are also not in a recruiting hotbed to offset our financial short comings. Even so Tulsa does a bad job of scheduling and I'm not sure we have any guide for it other than the bottom line.

Lol no, the reason the p5 don't schedule us is money. Bubba Cunningham screwed us. Our stadium is too small to produce the revenue for us to pay enough for Iowa St or Purdue, Pitt, or Indiana to give up a home game. They also pay a lot less than Ohio St or Michigan St do for a buy out game so we don't even see them on the road. Unlike say Tulane or Georgia State we are also not in a recruiting hotbed to offset our financial short comings. Even so Tulsa does a bad job of scheduling and I'm not sure we have any guide for it other than the bottom line.
If you read closely, I said further explain, not explain. I understand there are other factors. But if stadium size, recruiting, and crowd was really an issue, USF would be selling out games every year to Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State.

They are slowly choking the money off. They might tell you it’s about short term economics of scheduling favorably, but it’s really about slowly capturing market share by reducing the ability of the G5 to compete.

Tulsa isn't going anywhere. We've had literally 2 bad seasons in football, and one was with a coach we no longer employ. Basketball has been above league average and we absolutely bring up the power of the league. The only football school anyone could possibly think of being kicked out of a major conference is Temple, and we're no where near where they were.

I can’t believe we’re taking comfort from this not happening before. There’s been a lot of change in college sports, I wouldn’t bet on the future being like the past. We don’t fit Arazco’s model for the AAC - we’re a small school with modest fan base in a relatively small and unimportant market and no natural storyline to make us interesting. He cares about programming and markets not performance (except to the extent it affects programming and markets).

I suspect if something happens it’d be part of some larger shakeup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT