ADVERTISEMENT

The 2016 Softball Season 1st Weekend…

Tax Guy

I.T.S. Sophomore
Dec 5, 2003
…gets started this weekend in Boca Raton.

The ladies are picked by the coaches to finish 2nd in The American behind UCF who is ranked 17th nationally and a pitcher listed in the Player of the Year Top 50 watch list. Houston will also likely be a tough team in conference. Probably true that some question marks at pitching and middle infield but I really don’t know because I don’t get a chance to see them play. In just reading box scores, last year I saw hitting as being solid down the line up, but someone needs to step it up and have break out season. Somebody seems to each year, who might that be this year? I like how the Withee sisters have improved each year and as a catcher’s dad enjoy seeing how often Horner’s name comes up. They should be competitive in conference play, but in order to make it back to a NCAA bid they will probably need to win the conference or the tournament or both. So pretty much a typical year.

Oh and the conference tournament is in Tulsa this year.

The FAU Kick-off schedule:
Friday
12:30 Wright State
2:45 Hofstra
Saturday
2:45 Penn State
7:15 Florida Atlantic
Sunday
10:15 Hofstra

Should be a good test to see where they are and make some noise. Both Hofstra and host Florida Atlantic are in the “also receiving votes” part of the preseason polls.

I’m ignoring the other thread. Having been at youth softball tournaments about every other weekend for a several years now the stereotypical “softball dad” knows more than any of us mere mortals especially the coach, just ask him. It’s just simply not worth the effort to discuss. They also haven’t seen their boy parts without a mirror since before they were the 3rd string offensive lineman senior year in high school.

Weekend results 3-2

Friday:
Game 1 – W 2-1

Wright State 1 run on 6 hits and had 1 error
Tulsa 2 runs on 7 hits and had 2 errors

Maddie Withee was 2-3 with a double
Jodi Edmiston was 2-3
Morgan Neil had a triple and an RBI
Emily Watson pitched Complete Game with 0ER on 6 hits and 11 K and 1 BB

Game 2 – W 6-3

Tulsa 6 runs on 7 hits with 2 errors
Hofsta 3 runs on 7 hits with 2 errors

Maggie Withee was 2 for 3
Jocelyn Sheffield was 2 for 4 with a HR
Caitlin Sill pitched a Complete Game giving up 1 ER on 7 hits with 3 K and 1BB

Saturday
Game 1 W 11-4

Penn State 4 runs on 10 hits and had 2 errors
Tulsa 11 runs on 10 hits and had 2 errors

Maddie Withee was 2-3 with a double and a triple
Jodi Edmiston was 3-4 with a double
Jocelyn Sheffield had 4 RBI HR
Ellie Reaves pitched Complete Game giving up 3 ER on 10 hits 4 K and 3 BB

Game 2 - L 0-1

Tulsa 0 runs on 0 hits and had 4 errors
Florida Atlantic 1 run on 6 hits and had 1 error

Caitlin Sill pitched Complete Game giving up 0 ER on 6 hits with 5 K and 0 BB

Sunday
L 2-4

Hofstra 4 runs on 5 hits and had 2 errors
Tulsa 2 runs on 5 hits and had 3 errors

Maggie Withee was 2-3
Emily Watson pitched 6 innings giving up 1 ER on 4 hits and 3 BB and had 7 K
Ellie Reaves pitched 1 inning with 0 ER on 1 hit 1 BB and 0 K

Several pitchers got opportunities and the numbers seem to be solid . While there were 13 runs given up there were only 5 ER charged to the pitchers.
I haven’t listed errors in the past but with 13 errors over 5 games, it is part of the story
1 ea for Mag. Withee at 3rd Horner at C and Edmiston in CF
2 for Sheffield at 1st
4 ea for Morgan at 2nd/SS and Estocado at SS.

Too many errors this weekend. Looks like we left runners stranded. Glad to see freshman getting inserted early for experience. Hopefully we get a couple of freshman to really step up their game quickly. We need a power boost.

In a fair assessment, it was a freshmens 1st college games..probably explains errors..game is faster..The Withee twins and senior Edmiston along with freshmen Neal looks like they hit well...pitchers according to the stats pitched well...errors should get better as they go along...agree need a few more of the experienced players to step up ..the freshmen kid was a top 100 national recruit so no surprise she can hit...im going to go watch when they play OU

Also to be fair, looking at all 15 of the games played only 1 was error free by both teams, and only 2 other games did one of teams have a error free game. 12 games had at least one of teams have at least 2 errors. Without anyone having actually seen the games it’s hard to say if it was talent, conditions or karma , but it sounds like it was a pretty sloppy weekend by everyone involved.

I'll keep the ongoing schedule / results in this same thread for now
This weekend 2/19 - 2/21 is in San Antonio

Friday
10:00 am University of Virginia
12:30 pm University of North Dakota
Saturday
2:00 pm Texas A&M - Corpus Christi
7:00 pm University of Texas San Antonio
Sunday
2:00 pm University of Texas San Antonio

I didn't have time to look up anything on these teams

I'll keep the ongoing schedule / results in this same thread for now
This weekend 2/19 - 2/21 is in San Antonio

Friday
10:00 am University of Virginia
12:30 pm University of North Dakota
Saturday
2:00 pm Texas A&M - Corpus Christi
7:00 pm University of Texas San Antonio
Sunday
2:00 pm University of Texas San Antonio

I didn't have time to look up anything on these teams
North Dakota will show up wearing skates...

TU wins game 1 vs. Virginia, 4-3. TU made 1 error, albeit in the 7th inning and it put the tying run on 3rd. Good defense and pretty solid pitching from Sill.

Game 2 update: T4, TU up 4-0 and getting plenty of hits off of North Dakota pitcher. Watson has 6 K's through 3 innings, including striking out the side in the 1st.

TU wins vs. No Dakota, 15-0. Watson had at least 9 K's. Lots of hitting in this one for TU.

5-0 for weekend #2, only 2 errors committed. Watson was a strike out machine over the weekend. 8-2 on the season so far. Bats are hot!

2nd Weekend Results 5-0
Overall Record 8-2

Friday’s results:
Game 1 W 4-3

Virginia had 3 runs on 7 hits committed 1 Error and had 9 LOB
Tulsa had 4 runs on 10 hits committed 1 Error and had 7 LOB
Notable:
Maggie Withee went 2 for 4 with an RBI
Maddie Withee went 2 for 3 with a HR and 2 RBI
Catlin Sill pitched the complete game giving up 3 ER on 7 hits 3 BB 1 hit by pitch and had 4 K

Game 2 W 15-0 (in 6)
North Dakota had 0 runs on 3 hits committed 3 errors and had 6 LOB
Tulsa had 15 runs on 17 hits committed 0 errors and had 10 LOB
Notable:
17 hits
Estocado and Sheffield both had HRs
Emily Watson pitched 5 innings 0 ER on 2 hits 3 BB, 1 HBP with 9 K
Lexi Blevins pitch the 6th with 0 ER 1 hit 0 BB, 1 HBP and 2 K

Saturday results
Game 1 W 5-3

A&M – Corpus Christi had 3 runs 7 hits 0 errors and 7 LOB
Tulsa had 5 runs on 7 hits 1 error and 9 LOB
Notable:
Morgan Neal was 2 for 3 scored a run and 1 RBI
Maddie Withee was 2 for 4 with 2 RBI
Ellie Reaves pitched 4 innings with 3 ER on 6 hits 2 BB and had 4 K
Caitlin Sill Pitched 3 innings with 0 ER on 1 hit 0 BB and had 2 K (school record 10th career Save)

Game 2 W 6-0
Tulsa had 6 runs on 10 hits 0 errors and 4 LOB
Texas-San Antonio had 0 runs on 2 hits 3 Errors and 3 LOB
Notable
Catherine Horner was 2 for 4
Jocelyn Sheffield was 2 for 3 with a double
Emily Watson pitched Complete Game with 0 ER on 2 hits 1 BB and 17 K (ties single game school record)

Sunday W 10-1 (6 innings)
Tulsa had 10 runs on 10 hits, 0 Errors, and had 5 LOB
UTSA had 1 run on 2 hits, 3 Errors and had 2 LOB
Notable:
Jodi Edmiston was 2 for 3 with an RBI
Jocelyn Sheffield had a HR and 3 RBI
Caitlin Sill pitched the 6 innings with 1 ER on 2 hits 2 BB with 1 K

Last edited:
This team is just awful. The coach should be canned, I can't believe he doesn't have them better than .800. And I think it's going to get worse. I can't see them doing any better than .700 over the next several games. I was talking with a lot of unprejudiced people/parents who know what they are talking bout and they want this coach gone yesterday. I'm going to act like my opinion really matters and try to piss off as many people on this board as is possible, because I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA
This team is just awful. The coach should be canned, I can't believe he doesn't have them better than .800. And I think it's going to get worse. I can't see them doing better any better than .700 over the next several games. I was talking with a lot of unprejudiced people/parents who know what they are talking bout and they want this coach gone yesterday. I'm going to act like my opinion really matters and try to piss off as many people on this board as is possible because I can.
You're on a roll...$$$$ takes

And also whoever took over the Twitter @TulsaSoftball account this weekend did a nice job

Cb1mZ3OUkAAchgZ.jpg:large

Cb1m9CxUcAABhHq.jpg:large

Yes...the updates via twitter were money and timely. Almost like I was listening to the PBP on radio.

This team is just awful. The coach should be canned, I can't believe he doesn't have them better than .800. And I think it's going to get worse. I can't see them doing any better than .700 over the next several games. I was talking with a lot of unprejudiced people/parents who know what they are talking bout and they want this coach gone yesterday. I'm going to act like my opinion really matters and try to piss off as many people on this board as is possible, because I can.

I think the competition steps up this weekend so let's see..but yes, very nice start

Yes next weekend will be against better competition. But still an impressive 5 win weekend. 17 strikeouts in a game is insane. Batting .300 will get the team in top 25 in short order if the pitching continues to dominate.

Keeping the conversation going in this thread again for at least another week or until I get tired of scrolling down.

TV opportunity!

Friday 2/26
9:00 am Weber State (7-4) TV Longhorn Network
2:30 pm Texas #24 (10-0) TV Longhorn Network
Saturday 2/27
10:00 am Texas #24 (10-0) TV Longhorn Network
3:00 pm Abilene Christian (2-7)
Sunday 2/28
12:00 pm Illinois (5-4)

Common Opponents: (UTSA we’ve played, the rest we play later)
Texas: beat Houston 4-1 and Arkansas twice 4-1 and 6-5
Weber beat UTSA 2-1
ACU lost to OSU 9-7
Illinois beat Florida State 5-1

Definitely a step up in competition with Texas twice and Illinois beating a ranked team. Weber can push runs across scoring 7 or more runs in 6 of their 11 games.
ACU recently move up to D1. I have some personal connections the school and my daughter has played ball with 1 of the young ladies on the team. I wouldn’t suggest looking past them despite their record.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT