ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks Kelly Hines!

Well you can't mention West Texas without playing Marty Robbins' "Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs".

Reactions: TU1NNJ
I grew up in the panhandle. My brother has a nice little 10,000 are ranch up yonder.

I did not! I’ll have to listen to that one. I’ve provably heard most of it, I got a 10 CD box set of his greatest hits ~15 years ago. So I know most of his songs just not what original albums they’re from.

It's called "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music". The two biggest hits were "I Can't Stop Loving You" and "You Don't Know Me". There is also a volume 2 that has a great version of "You Are My Sunshine".

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I worked with Marty Robbins when I was the stage manager/sound engineer at Ziegfeld's. Really cool guy. In all the time I worked there, he was the only star that actually showed up for the sound check. He put on a great, mostly impromptu, show that lasted 2 hours. Most of them did 1 hour tops.

71st and Sheridan, right?

Yes. I haven't been been that way much since my dentist moved, but I believe the building is still there. I was a real estate agency for a while, but I think it's something else now.
That was an amazing sound system. The speakers were in the ceiling so they didn't take up any room on stage and there was a totally separate mixer for the monitors that was on the stage so the musicians could do their own mix.
This thread has really gone off the rails, but it's more fun than talking about our disappointing basketball team.

How much oversight and responsibility falls to the SID hold when it comes to the lack of media coverage? Does the SID have any power to request better?

The SID -- any SID -- has absolutely no say on which writers are assigned to cover his school. In fact, if the SID attempted to involve himself in the process it would probably have an effect opposite what he wished, as the media fiercely guard their independence.
This is correct. However, the SID does have a say in which media outlets get credentialed, and he/she controls (to a degree) what access they have to players and coaches. I've had SID's threaten to pull credentials if I didn't do X, Y and Z...and you're right, it had the opposite effect.

I don't think the SID demanding anything is a good idea. On the other hand, it is their job to sell the local media on covering TU and they appear to be lacking in that regard.
Yes, and we've had roadblocks thrown at us before, which makes no sense. We have a decent reach on social media, and we want to promote TU athletics as much as possible...but they don't always seem to want it...it's crazy.

This is correct. However, the SID does have a say in which media outlets get credentialed, and he/she controls (to a degree) what access they have to players and coaches. I've had SID's threaten to pull credentials if I didn't do X, Y and Z...and you're right, it had the opposite effect.

Yes, and we've had roadblocks thrown at us before, which makes no sense. We have a decent reach on social media, and we want to promote TU athletics as much as possible...but they don't always seem to want it...it's crazy.

Chris, I was told by a donor several years ago that there is a segment of the donor class at TU that would prefer it if the hoi polloi just stayed away. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Reactions: cmullinsTU

Chris, I was told by a donor several years ago that there is a segment of the donor class at TU that would prefer it if the hoi polloi just stayed away. Maybe that's part of the problem.
By hoi polloi do you mean the fans that would dare stand and yell during games?

Reactions: ba11game
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT