ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks Kelly Hines!

Journalism like that is exactly why I quit subscribing to the Tulsa world.

attendance was the best without visitors or bused-in students, 5,100 and that was exactly my guess.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
attendance was the best without visitors or bused-in students, 5,100 and that was exactly my guess.

It was also a vocal crowd, thanks to a large # of students & some really bad refs (including the always bad Zelton Steed).

Tubby has been to Tulsa. So has Lawson. Do either of them know any Rashads or Shaquilles????

Last edited:
Reactions: cmullinsTU
Journalism and the Tulsa World are mutually exclusive terms these days.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It irks me to no end. People bitch about attendance but Tubby would sell a few hundred tickets
+1, imo the marketing/promo of TU sports should also extend to the local coverage and the beatwriter.

If the beatwriter can't put 100% effort behind the assignment, then should the SID call for a change? How much oversight and responsibility falls to the SID hold when it comes to the lack of media coverage? Does the SID have any power to request better?

TX

Journalism and the Tulsa World are mutually exclusive terms these days.

That’s a little strong. It’s not in good shape right now, but it’s sort of the only legitimate news outlet we have in this state. I hope they do better.

+1, imo the marketing/promo of TU sports should also extend to the local coverage and the beatwriter.

If the beatwriter can't put 100% effort behind the assignment, then should the SID call for a change? How much oversight and responsibility falls to the SID hold when it comes to the lack of media coverage? Does the SID have any power to request better?

TX
DT might, but to be honest the basketball SID is new (the old one left for Tulane) and I doubt they could request something like that. I don't think Tubby getting another behind the fold mention from the world would have moved many more tickets.

One of the three patriarchs of TU basketball rolls into town and not one word. Korita gets a nice write-up but he doesn’t sell tickets. Tubby does. Without him, there’s no TubbyDome on campus. Know your history, Kelly!

On a positive note, you looked good on tv this morning.

The SID -- any SID -- has absolutely no say on which writers are assigned to cover his school. In fact, if the SID attempted to involve himself in the process it would probably have an effect opposite what he wished, as the media fiercely guard their independence.

Reactions: astonmartin708
On a positive note, you looked good on tv this morning.

LOL, I haven't seen it. I saw all these cop cars outside so naturally I went out there and talked to the camera man to see what was going on. I guess some 14-year-olds were on a joyride.

LOL, I haven't seen it. I saw all these cop cars outside so naturally I went out there and talked to the camera man to see what was going on. I guess some 14-year-olds were on a joyride.

Too bad you weren’t wearing a stained wife beater with a nice mullet... they always seem to find those types for interviews.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
I don't think the SID demanding anything is a good idea. On the other hand, it is their job to sell the local media on covering TU and they appear to be lacking in that regard. We have had good coverage from the World in the past (Eric Bailey comes to mind). Another thing I think has hurt TU with local media coverage is the move away from KRMG. I don't know the details of that and maybe it was unavoidable, but Rick Coury was very good to TU.

I don't think the SID demanding anything is a good idea. On the other hand, it is their job to sell the local media on covering TU and they appear to be lacking in that regard. We have had good coverage from the World in the past (Eric Bailey comes to mind). Another thing I think has hurt TU with local media coverage is the move away from KRMG. I don't know the details of that and maybe it was unavoidable, but Rick Coury was very good to TU.
Rick Couri is still on football broadcasts. I hated when it was on KRMG. I hate it now on 99.5 because if I listen to a post game and it doesn’t end by the time I get home, I get in my car the next morning and I have Hank Williams Jr. making my ears bleed.

They need to get back on one of the sports stations in town. Not sure The Franchise has any college sports properties to air and Hoover would be fair in his on air coverage the following day. I think TU is just taking as much money as they can from whom they can with a distribution you can hear more than 5 miles outside the city limits.

Remember that time KRMG decided not to broadcast the basketball post-game show after a huge win at Memphis so that they could talk about a light dusting of snow in the Tulsa area instead? I don't miss KRMG at all.

Rick Couri is still on football broadcasts. I hated when it was on KRMG. I hate it now on 99.5 because if I listen to a post game and it doesn’t end by the time I get home, I get in my car the next morning and I have Hank Williams Jr. making my ears bleed.

They need to get back on one of the sports stations in town. Not sure The Franchise has any college sports properties to air and Hoover would be fair in his on air coverage the following day. I think TU is just taking as much money as they can from whom they can with a distribution you can hear more than 5 miles outside the city limits.
Hank Williams and Johnny Cash all day!

Reactions: Chris Harmon
Anybody else on here think Barlass is Barrister and wonder why he’s not asking to see bewbs?

Now that barlass doesn’t post often I think it’s a bewb viewer when you post.

Anybody else on here think Barlass is Barrister and wonder why he’s not asking to see bewbs?

Now that barlass doesn’t post often I think it’s a bewb viewer when you post.
She said light dusting of snow, & you heard light dusting of glitter?

Hank's voice may be tough to listen too, but he wrote a lot of great songs for a guy who died at 29. By the way, I've never heard him on 99.5. Seems like they mostly play 80s and 90s stuff.
As for KRMG and the weather. I wrote the PD an email once asking why they didn't just do the weather on AM and keep the game on FM, or visa versa. He told me if they weren't 100% simulcast, they would have to pay double for the ratings services.

This thread of musicians led to me remembering how much I enjoy listening to Ray Charles. Thanks everyone

I agree with John Doe, I like shakespearian language in my country. You damn Yankee, TuBla. ;0)

This thread of musicians led to me remembering how much I enjoy listening to Ray Charles. Thanks everyone
I love Ray too. Did you know that the first country western album to go to number one on the pop charts was by Ray Charles?

I love Ray too. Did you know that the first country western album to go to number one on the pop charts was by Ray Charles?

I did not! I’ll have to listen to that one. I’ve provably heard most of it, I got a 10 CD box set of his greatest hits ~15 years ago. So I know most of his songs just not what original albums they’re from.

George Strait- Amarillo By Morning. It reminds me of when West Texas St was in the MVC. Canyon TX is not a place you want to go on a road game trip!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT