ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday's NCAA Tournament Thread

Rumor has it that that the Big $$$$$ Kansas alums are putting together a multi-hundred million dollar package to get Calipari to retire and never coach at the college level again. Thus enabling Self to get a shot at some of the 5* players that keep going to Kentucky. If you can't beat'em buy 'em out!!!

KU is a juggernaut in basketball. Self is a phenomenal coach who always supports TU within reason.

The coach that got TU back in the dance was a slightly above average player at KU.

I'm not necessarily a fan, but their consistency is unreal.

Big Strong Phoggy is right...The shockers were clearly the better team. Also, this year, the Shockers have more experienced talent.

The WSU story is amazing. Having two lightly recruited players (especially Baker) turn out to be fringe multi-year All-Americans only happens to teams like WSU (maybe) once in a generation.

Marshall is a great coach. Dump Truck loads of money will be coming his way...We'll see what happens after next year.

Kansas fills an important place in the world. If it weren't for Kansas there would be nothing between Oklahoma and Nebraska...oh wait....

I am a Wichita St fan since the Valley, yet I don't feel compelled to comment on every thread about Wichita St...

Originally posted by TUMe:
Kansas fills an important place in the world. If it weren't for Kansas there would be nothing between Oklahoma and Nebraska...oh wait....
I still remember this from an old Mazeppa TV or radio show :

" This just in.....Officials have announced that Kansas is being moved to Florida for additional parking for Disney World. "

WVa vs UK is a fascinating matchup. How will UK's great but young athletes handle the pressure WVa is going to give them?

As a TU fan since the late 70s I get sick of the OUs and KUs of the world and enjoy seeing them beaten by teams from less recognized conferences. The WSU win was quite enjoyable for me as would have been a Dayton win. That said if TU is not involved I don't care all that much and take any outcome in stride. No wall punching as could have been seen during the UCONN choke fest.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I've been a Northern Iowa fan since birth.

Louisville's hot hand a the refs whistle sealed the deal. Cardinals have a tough team, but the Panther starters no showed.

Originally posted by PhoggyBottom:
WSU not better in 2012. No argument on 2014 or this year. 2013 is a toss up. Regardless, KU got beat by a better team and a much better coached team. Still, I would take KU's future over WSU's. They will be back to a .500 team in two years losing VanVleet and Baker and probably with a new coach.
Greg Marshall will end up in Austin, TX. Just a very strong hunch.
wink.r191677.gif

TX

i hope he does. I would like for someone in the Big12 to consistently challenge KU for the title. Texas is the logical choice. The only question with Marshall is whether he can recruit 4 and 5 star guys. You can catch lightning in a bottle from time to time but it is pretty difficult to consistently compete at a high level by finding hidden talents.

WSU has recruited strong.
VanVleet was a national prospect (Top 150).

And Cleanthony Early may have been the top juco coming out a few years ago. Without Early, they don't get to the Final 4 and then go 35-0 the next year.

I am not denying that he has put together a great team. I am saying that you are not going to win consistently in the Big 12 or the tournament unless you can get 4 and 5 star guys. He has never had the opportunity to do it, so it is an unknown whether he can. If he can, he would be the best hire for UT or anyone else with an opening.

I am not denying that he has put together a great team. I am saying that you are not going to win consistently in the Big 12 or the tournament unless you can get 4 and 5 star guys. He has never had the opportunity to do it, so it is an unknown whether he can. If he can, he would be the best hire for UT or anyone else with an opening.
Marshall built this WSU team using the same philosophy Self used when he was at TU. Get a couple of top kids when you can, add some great IQ players with pretty good talent but that may not necessarily get the accolades in HS, have some foresight on how you would expect some kids to develop and contribute in your system, and then grab a couple of JUCOs to fill in. It's unfortunate all of the top tier programs think they need to have the 5* one and done kids every year to compete because we are seeing that is simply not the truth. VanVleet is best PG in the country IMO. He actually reminds me a lot of Greg Harrington but a little quicker. Baker is simply a kid who can play that probably didn't get the credit because he didn't fit the image. Baker is the type of player Tarkanian would have uttered his cake quote about.

Can WSU match most offers out there? Unless TX throws a ridiculous number out there which they are likely to do, wouldn't WSU try to match?

Am I missing something? Is the Texas job open? Barnes fired?

Originally posted by bigzit:

WSU has recruited strong.
VanVleet was a national prospect (Top 150).

And Cleanthony Early may have been the top juco coming out a few years ago. Without Early, they don't get to the Final 4 and then go 35-0 the next year.
The game against Kentucky last year was a classic one of the best in the Tourney. Kentucky got a lot of calls in the second half to keep them in the game.

It almost looked a little fishy. Of course Kentucky goes on to the NC game. Which I think WSU might have as well had they won the game.

The look like a Final Four team.

GO TU!!!

I laughed and laughed.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/03/the-university-of-kansas-has-the-saddest-most-desp.html
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Again, I am not arguing that he hasn't done a great job at WSU or that this WSU team isn't a tremendous team. My point is you are not going to compete consistently for conference titles, top seeds and final fours in the P5 conferences without a roster of 4 and 5 star players. It is pretty hard to find hidden talents repeatedly. That is the reason Duke, UNC, KU, Arizona usually win their conferences and usually get top 4 seeds - because they have the best players. A team like Self's Tulsa team or WSU's recent teams can come along and be every bit as good (or better) than those teams but it is hard to maintain that level over time simply by finding guys no one else wanted.

Regardless, I suspect Marshall will do a good job wherever he goes. Personally, I think he is more likely to go to Illinois or Indiana if those come open than Texas.

Again, I am not arguing that he hasn't done a great job at WSU or that this WSU team isn't a tremendous team. My point is you are not going to compete consistently for conference titles, top seeds and final fours in the P5 conferences without a roster of 4 and 5 star players. It is pretty hard to find hidden talents repeatedly. That is the reason Duke, UNC, KU, Arizona usually win their conferences and usually get top 4 seeds - because they have the best players. A team like Self's Tulsa team or WSU's recent teams can come along and be every bit as good (or better) than those teams but it is hard to maintain that level over time simply by finding guys no one else wanted.

Regardless, I suspect Marshall will do a good job wherever he goes. Personally, I think he is more likely to go to Illinois or Indiana if those come open than Texas.
I don't agree with any of this.

Is it possible he pulls a Coach K and stays at Wichita St for his entire career?

If he makes it to another FF why not WSU can pay him, they average 10000+ a night.

GO TU!!!!

I agree with Geo & others, you can succeed just fine at non-P5 schools under the right circumstances. The main P5 advantage today is NCAA seeding. WSU should've been seeded at 4, not 7. Too bad for KU. Next time WSU will probably get seeded higher so another P5 school won't have to lose earlier than anticipated.

Name a P5 school that has consistently been a top 4 seed and conference title contender without top 150 guys? Argusbly, Wisconsin even bough they now have 2 top 60 recruits starting for them. I cant think of another.

Tulsafanzz posted on 3/23/2015...

I agree with Geo & others, you can succeed just fine at non-P5 schools under the right circumstances. The main P5 advantage today is NCAA seeding

The main advantage is $$$$.

Originally posted by Steve Zissou:
Alabama is offering Marshall $3,000,000 annually.
Let's see.....
--4 straight years that WSU home games have been sold out
--4 straight NCAA bids w/ one final 4 appearance
--NIT Champs in 2011
--Big Dawg in a G5 Conference, but offer amenities like a P5 school
(charter flights, large budget for recruiting, & large $$$ pool 2 pay coaching assistants)
--Coach Marshall has a 1.8 Million base salary w/ performance incentives as well as
as a continuous one year roll over contract that now extends to 2021, plus membership to Wichita Country Club
& a $ 1 million dollar annuity.
--WSU Basketball is HUGE in Wichita,
--WSU basketball is THE only major sports product in this town.
--Coach Marshall "easily' the most popular person in town.
--They play one game a year (sold out last 3 years) @ the local Intrust Bank Arena,
(Like the BOK, seats around 15K for basketball)
--If Marshall goes to places like 'Bama or Texas he'll always B 2nd fiddle to f-ball.
--Plus u can expect WSU to give him another raise after beating Kansas
& another Sweet 16 appearance.

Pastner leaving Memphis is more likely than Marshall leaving Wichita

I doubt he is going to Alabama but I suspect he will be gone this summer or next. He loses Carter and Cotton this year and VanVleet, Baker and Wessel next year. Some combination of Texas, Indiana, Illinois, Syracuse, UNC, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma St will open up within the next couple of years. He will be #1 on every list.

I doubt he is going to Alabama but I suspect he will be gone this summer or next. He loses Carter and Cotton this year and VanVleet, Baker and Wessel next year. Some combination of Texas, Indiana, Illinois, Syracuse, UNC, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma St will open up within the next couple of years. He will be #1 on every list.
U might B right
But, Mark Few, Greg McDermott, Chris Mack, & Steve Fisher
sure enjoy being where they're @.

OSU fans would luv 2 have Marshall
But they're stuck w/ their own "Oh No another yr. w/ Wojo"
Travis " 6 more yrs" Ford

BTW, Arizona St fired their head coach today
If they offer Pastner, I bet he leaves Memphis

I ask out of ignorance, so forgive me... but why would any program with a decent history in basketball offer a job to Pastner?

Why would anyone want Pastner? Maybe Arizona State wants him to help distract free throw shooters? Or are they doing a reboot of Wonder Years?

Long term planning? I guess you could sign Pastner to a two or three year contract, have him bring in a couple of recruiting classes, plan on canning him at the end of his contract, and leave the next coach with some good recruits. ;0)

I will give you Mark Few, although I think it is much easier to enjoy being in the Northwest than in Wichita. Also, Gonzaga is now in a situation where recruiting is a much simpler job. I would have also conceded Shaka Smart although I think he is waiting for the perfect opportunity.

Greg McDermott got the boot from Iowa St in 2010. He has only been at Creighton for 5 years and this is his first without his son. It didn't go well. I am not sure that he has had any options to go elsewhere and probably won't anytime soon. Chris Mack has been at Xavier for 6 years. Missed the tournament in his 4th year which likely halted his opportunities for a year or two. Xavier has had a much longer and more continuous successful stretch than WSU. Regardless, Xavier is now in the Big East and, being in Cincinnati, has a much broader recruiting base than WSU. Nobody wants Steve Fisher. He is 112 years old and flamed out and had a substantially dirty program at Michigan.

Maybe Marshall enjoys a good beer. He can drive over to West St. and go to Goebel's Liquor Store / Rob's House of a 1000+ Beers, where over 1400 different beers are on hand! Just saying....

Originally posted by TU Sepp:

Maybe Marshall enjoys a good beer. He can drive over to West St. and go to Goebel's Liquor Store / Rob's House of a 1000+ Beers, where over 1400 different beers are on hand! Just saying....
True but sad 2 say, no Marshall beer sold there, just saying.....

Originally posted by TU Sepp:
HHooter...

Yes, Marshall beer is sold there...
It is?!?
Last time I was there, they didn't have any. that's great news
Marshall Wheat is much better than Shock Top or Boulevard wheat.
Plus Marshall makes a sweet IPA.

I talked with Eric and he said John was buying their beer.

My aunt before she passed lived at the convent around the corner on SW Blvd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT