#48 UCLA
#49 Oklahoma State
#55 Purdue
#57 LSU
#60 Ole Miss
#61 Indiana

All lost except UCLA which got the lucky break and then #129 RPI team UAB

Notice every at large was a P5

I really don't think they gave the committee the kind of result that deserved that many selections.

It seems Joe Castiglione was determined to go with P5's

Go TU!!!

NCAA couldn't be happier IMO. Great games coming down to the wire. All-time record high TV ratings. $$$$$

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
NCAA couldn't be happier IMO. Great games coming down to the wire. All-time record high TV ratings. $$$$$
So that justifies the piss poor performance of the last six at larges. The rating are going to be there no matter what at large teams are selected.

With all due respect that is weak Law.

Go TU!!!!

Those weren't the last six at-large selections and if the NCAA selections result in great games and record ratings I assume they're quite happy and see no reason to change their criteria going forward.

This post was edited on 3/22 1:41 PM by lawpoke87

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
Those weren't the last six at-large selections.
Correction: By CBS Sportsline RPI they would represent the last six teams in as an at large.

By the way Virginia just killed my bracket.

GO TU!!!

This post was edited on 3/22 11:43 AM by Tu Geo

Mine too...damnit.

Mississippi, Dayton, Boise St and BYU were the last four at large followed by UCLA and Indiana.

Originally posted by TUMe:
Yes, Virginia, there is a Michigan State.
Never bet against Izzo in an NCAA tournament. If only Wojcik had been a pure clone and exhibited some flexibility and had the ability to adjust during a game.

Michigan State is taking the exact trip Tulsa took to the elite 8 in 2000. Especially if Providence beats OU and NC State becomes the UNC of 2000.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I think they dropped using a team's record in their last 10 or 12 games as a factor in selecting at-large picks because it hurt P5 teams.

Here are the only 6 at-large picks who went .500 or worse in their last 12 games :

Providence... ..Lost 1st game
West Virginia....Won 1st game
Texas..............Lost 1st game
Okla. State......Lost 1st game
LSU.................Lost 1st game
Indiana............Lost 1st game

It appears they need to reinstitute the last 10 or last 12 games as a factor again.

Originally posted by I.I.:
Good post Fanz. Is Wichita State still on our schedule ?
They should be, this year's game was our 5th straight year playing WSU. I would think a 6th game is part of a current contract. It would be a great chance for a big non-conference win.

They may have officially dropped that factor but they seem to be using it when it suits their decisions. The committee head specifically mentioned recent play as a factor in many decisions.

Last WSU appearance here we had them tied at half and brilliantly our student section chanted overrated as they walked off the floor at halftime. They came out and beat us by twenty.

Yep....first time I've ever heard fans chant "overrated" to a team they lost to by 20.

II.... I heard that chant while listening online. I lost it. Most pathetic student section chant of all time IMO.

Van Vleet.... ROCKFORD, IL! Home of Cheap Trick and now.... Fred F'in Van Vleet.

Wichita has been the best team in the state of Kansas for the last four years. Today's game just proved it.

Yep. They were just talking about the torch being passed to Northern Iowa. Surely the rhetoric will change.

WSU not better in 2012. No argument on 2014 or this year. 2013 is a toss up. Regardless, KU got beat by a better team and a much better coached team. Still, I would take KU's future over WSU's. They will be back to a .500 team in two years losing VanVleet and Baker and probably with a new coach.

Originally posted by PhoggyBottom:
Still, I would take KU's future over WSU's. They will be back to a .500 team in two years losing VanVleet and Baker and probably with a new coach.
If so, it's likely because KU has 4x the athletic budget of WSU supplemented by funds from the NCAA that come from things like the inclusion of Texas in the NCAA tournament thanks to close losses to "the worst Kansas team in a decade". It's a nice racket if you can get yourself included.

You know what's really f'in old.... ?

When dip:crap:s say "they are a well coached team." Dip:crap: pundits always qualify positive play of the non-power conferences as a "well coached team."

Of every player on the court today, I would take Fred Van Vleet over anyone. Then Ellis. Then Baker and then Cotton.

WSU has players.

Go freakin cheer on their board, dang you're annoying. We don't care what u think. U contribute nothing to our board. Go ahead and 'correct' me, u were only annoying yesterday,or something or other... I'm a KU fan, like many others who appreciate Self. But u are temporarlily making it difficult for me to be a KU fan with every post u contribute. In the words of Tim Robbins, how can you be so obtuse?

A lot of young future recruits saw the KU/ WSU game. Tradition fades fast when you are 16 years old. Kids don't remember that TU ever went to the elite eight. They will forget about Kansas unless they turn it around soon. Lots of kids saw the Kentucky/Kansas game on TV this year. Previous national championships don't mean a lot after a few years. Look at UCLA. They barely get in the tournament now after a long string of national championships. Gonzaga was nowhere in 1995. Look at them now.

Kentucky can't rest either. They have to keep their coach. Look what happened in the Gillispie era.

Frank Mason was the best player on the court. VanVleet, Baker and Cotton were next three. Ellis was maybe 4th. Wverybody else on WSU was next. Like I said, WSU was the better team and was better coached.

Originally posted by PhoggyBottom:
Frank Mason was the best player on the court. VanVleet, Baker and Cotton were next three. Ellis was maybe 4th. Wverybody else on WSU was next. Like I said, WSU was the better team and was better coached.
Maybe I missed it Phoggy, but why do you come to this board ? I know the Rock Chalk board has melted but I don't think anyone over here is giddy to hear your comments. This is an Inside Tulsa Sports message board.?????????????

I am not sure what you mean by "turn it around soon." KU has won 11 straight conference titles, been a top 2 seed for 6 straight years, a top 4 seed for 15 straight years, won a national title in 2008 and a national runner up in 2012. More importantly to the top recruits, KU had he #1 and #3 picks in the draft last year. The last two seasons have been down years but 95% of the teams in the country would kill for those seasons.

i simply respond to others' posts about KU. If you guys don't want to talk about KU, quit starting posts about them.

I don't know your background but I have been a TU fan for 35+ years. I go to games and would live for them to be the power they once were. I post about TU on here all the time. Like I said, if you guys don't want to discuss KU, quit posting about them. I don't start KU threads on here. Never have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT