ADVERTISEMENT

Student debt

Unless you have a state government with a brain that understands the best kids leave forever if the financial aid is better.

Look at Florida. You can work your way through no problem if you are even mildly interested in school. OR if your parents pre-paid through employer deductions. (And way too many barely scrape by partying in Gainesville or smoking pot on the beach at UCF without these benefits.)

Every kid in the state that makes a 3.0 in high school and a 26 ACT pays no more than $39 a credit hour so long as they do 75 hours of community service (your frat takes care of that) and maintain a 2.5.
Not every state is Florida and has a bunch of real estate tax from the elderly helping them out.

Because of the time value of money.
The US federal government doesn’t need to abide by the time value of money. It’s not going anywhere and it isn’t able to reinvest that money for elsewhere for interest gains.
In fact, one could argue that the government would get more benefit in terms of the economic prosperity with graduating students being able to contribute more to the economy earlier and the students being able to better fund their homeownership, retirements, healthcare, etc... at an earlier point in time.

Last edited:
Not every state is Florida and has a bunch of real estate tax from the elderly helping them out.
Florida’s budget revenue is largely based on sales tax, commercial real estate tax, and employment tax revenue, but yes, the doc stamp tax does help a little.

But that doesn’t matter, the program I’m referencing costs $200 million for the nation’s fourth largest state and comes entirely out of lottery funds. Oklahoma could do it tomorrow.

Florida’s budget revenue is largely based on sales tax, commercial real estate tax, and employment tax revenue, but yes, the doc stamp tax does help a little.

But that doesn’t matter, the program I’m referencing costs $200 million for the nation’s fourth largest state and comes entirely out of lottery funds. Oklahoma could do it tomorrow.
Oklahoma has something similar for community colleges and I believe they give out a small scholarship for 4 years that is similar (I seem to remember like 2K a year but that was years ago). It certainly wasn’t enough to get you all the way through. Would have taken care of books for two semesters.

In any case states like Oklahoma have been god awful at post secondary education funding for about a century. They tried the lottery thing, then they cut the education budget to match the “savings” they gained with the lottery.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
The only people who have earned free college are military, police and fire
Why should Police get to go free? They should honestly already have a college education before they get into the force much like teachers have to.

My son was a walk on with considerable academic scholarships . TU is amazing at helping students find outside scholarships as well. The Energy Management department especially. They are wonderful !!!

My son was a walk on with considerable academic scholarships . TU is amazing at helping students find outside scholarships as well. The Energy Management department especially. They are wonderful !!!
The EM department does do well at finding outside help. You are correct. Not all departments are like that though, neither are all universities.

Reactions: Sbellini
So aston, real talk. After reading about your trauma as a child with nothing to eat...why do you want to give more of your money to the government to hand out to people like you who used to starve regularly, rather than donate to a charity that focuses on feeding kids in need? Or even better, start your own charity in your city and fund raise to help feed kids like you used to be? Would you really rather the government do that or you and ither volunteers in your community? Im assuming you are a middle class guy now and have the ability to donate a portion of your income to charities that help starving kids.

If my assumption is wrong, i apologize. And honest question, no ulterior motive.

So aston, real talk. After reading about your trauma as a child with nothing to eat...why do you want to give more of your money to the government to hand out to people like you who used to starve regularly, rather than donate to a charity that focuses on feeding kids in need? Or even better, start your own charity in your city and fund raise to help feed kids like you used to be? Would you really rather the government do that or you and ither volunteers in your community? Im assuming you are a middle class guy now and have the ability to donate a portion of your income to charities that help starving kids.

If my assumption is wrong, i apologize. And honest question, no ulterior motive.
No, what I want to do is improve the healthcare system that was what basically led to us having such a hard time. It was bad enough that my family was trying to recover from a serious accident, but it was even worse that we were trying to do so with my mom having to work long hours while barely being able to walk and not having any food on the table. It was the medical bills from lifeflight, ambulances, surgeries, and hospital stays that screwed us. In terms of money being given to the government vs. charity I think the government has a more direct line to people in need and a more substantial ability to affect change. If people would just vote in ways that would actually support agendas that promoted money getting to the people who need it everything would be fine. The problem is people forget their empathy when they’re not confronted with it, or they forget how hard some people are having it and it’s not just that people aren’t willing to to work.

No, what I want to do is improve the healthcare system that was what basically led to us having such a hard time. It was bad enough that my family was trying to recover from a serious accident, but it was even worse that we were trying to do so with my mom having to work long hours while barely being able to walk and not having any food on the table. It was the medical bills from lifeflight, ambulances, surgeries, and hospital stays that screwed us. In terms of money being given to the government vs. charity I think the government has a more direct line to people in need and a more substantial ability to affect change. If people would just vote in ways that would actually support agendas that promoted money getting to the people who need it everything would be fine. The problem is people forget their empathy when they’re not confronted with it, or they forget how hard some people are having it and it’s not just that people aren’t willing to to work.
Ok. I understand to some extent the hospital bills...what should it cost to fix a broken leg surgically? It costs you a surgeon with 10+ years post bach training, an anesthesia provider with give or take 10 years post bach training, a nurse with usually a bachelors, and scrub tech with an associates, a building, hundreds of thousands in equipment, implants that took millions to r&d and develope and be the best. I understand that a bag of fluid being $1000 is crazy, and that likely prices are iver inflated, but all of those skills to fix people in surgery isnt cheap.

Ok. I understand to some extent the hospital bills...what should it cost to fix a broken leg surgically? It costs you a surgeon with 10+ years post bach training, an anesthesia provider with give or take 10 years post bach training, a nurse with usually a bachelors, and scrub tech with an associates, a building, hundreds of thousands in equipment, implants that took millions to r&d and develope and be the best. I understand that a bag of fluid being $1000 is crazy, and that likely prices are iver inflated, but all of those skills to fix people in surgery isnt cheap.
I agree, but that’s also why we pay insurance. Also, those doctors nurses etc... should be able to benefit from economies of scale. I don’t know if another comparable country in the world where a car accident would put you in a comparable level of medical debt as it would in the US. Even if you have decent insurance.

Not only that, but the doctors responsible for helping my mother didn’t even do a very good job. It’s not as if they were light years better than say a doctor in Italy or France.

In any case states like Oklahoma have been god awful at post secondary education funding for about a century. They tried the lottery thing, then they cut the education budget to match the “savings” they gained with the lottery.
This was exactly what I meant when I said they could do it tomorrow.

Reform is definitely necessary but there must be the right balance found between the mixture of capitalism and the eventual solution.

The biggest problem with the student debt debate is that it is just another step in the Democratic scam. They created this mess trying to promise the middle class everything while handing their academic friends a blank check. Now that they have millions of supporters struggling to pay it back or feed their children, they scam continues. They float hope of forgiveness. But the reality is that any meaningful student debt relief would benefit middle abd upper class whites with multiple degrees in grossly disproportionate numbers. Something no actual Democrat administration can stomach. So the scam continues. They float student debt relief to entice Obama Democrats (Right leaning independents who are college educated in the suburbs who are mostly white) to the polls. But once elected, they poo poo it or float income based repayment plans that almost all borrowers are eligible for in the demographics they are after. Leaving folks like our friend Aston out in the rain. $10,000 isn’t going to stimulate spending and benefit the economy. It won’t I give meaningful relief to the kids in the Philly suburbs with critical gender dance graduate degrees from Oberlin who still owe more than they borrowed after 10 years of payments. And it doesn’t apply to people who are already in income based forgiveness or had no intention of paying defaulted loans anyway. You’ve been baited and switched if you voted for Biden for this. You know it’s true. The scam continues.

Easy way to avoid student debt. Don't go to college and remain uneducated.

Last edited:
And so it continues. Raise minimum wage to $15.00. So what do you with the established employee already at $15.00? Bump him to $18.00? And so on and so on. Now how so you reconcile this? Raise prices ot cut hours.

Not every job is worth minimum wage. Not every employee is worth minimum wage.

Reactions: shon46
And so it continues. Raise minimum wage to $15.00. So what do you with the established employee already at $15.00? Bump him to $18.00? And so on and so on. Now how so you reconcile this? Raise prices ot cut hours.

Not every job is worth minimum wage. Not every employee is worth minimum wage.
Most of Europe is sitting at $10.50 to $12.50 an hour I think that’s a fair -er number.

Reactions: shon46
Most of Europe is sitting at $10.50 to $12.50 an hour I think that’s a fair -er number.
The great irony of minimum wage advocates is that they derive their sense of a “fair” (or “fair-er”) wage from the general prices for labor set by market forces themselves (the same forces they are trying to fight against or undermine or avoid).

If a higher minimum wage leads to greater prosperity, why not set it at $20/hr? $50/hr? $1,000/hr?

Why do people have to work for MW?
Lack of skills . Value to to the company. Work ethic. Menial job.

Rather than people expecting higher MW, how about they get the skills for a better job

The great irony of minimum wage advocates is that they derive their sense of a “fair” (or “fair-er”) wage from the general prices for labor set by market forces themselves (the same forces they are trying to fight against or undermine or avoid).

If a higher minimum wage leads to greater prosperity, why not set it at $20/hr? $50/hr? $1,000/hr?
You can't advocate "market forces on labor" and then complain about unions in a few days / weeks / months. Fun fact: Italy doesn't have a minimum wage. Their wages are set by collective bargaining.

Reactions: watu05

Sounds like you'd like to go the other way.... we could have Vietnamese / Chinese sweat-shops where there are no controls on how little the employers can pay their workers. Maybe they could even put up some nets on the sides of the buildings so the workers couldn't throw themselves off of them anymore.

If the government "forgives" student loan debt, that portion should become earned compensation and taxable.

If the government "forgives" student loan debt, that portion should become earned compensation and taxable.
Ok, but it should be discounted over the life of the loan. (If I was only going to pay 4K this year then it should only count as 4K forgiven this year) it should only be taxable on that 4K, then next year another 4K until you get to the full amount that’s scheduled to be forgiven.

I know there are ways to move money around as the executive. But I’m not quite sure how it’s done. It’s partially why the executive has too much power as I’ve been saying for years.
This is how Trump funded his wall since he couldn't get Congress, which was controlled by GOP for the 1st 2 years, to get the wall funding worked into the budget. Trump's EO moved almost $2B from the defense budget to the wall by declaring the border situation a disaster requiring emergency response. So when Biden undid that EO with his own EO last week, people assumed he was soft on border security and opening the border...which is not what he did. He simply said we're restoring the defense budget. The $2B by the way was a line item in the defense budget marked for improvements to military family housing on bases and K-12 schools on bases.

This is how Trump funded his wall since he couldn't get Congress, which was controlled by GOP for the 1st 2 years, to get the wall funding worked into the budget. Trump's EO moved almost $2B from the defense budget to the wall by declaring the border situation a disaster requiring emergency response. So when Biden undid that EO with his own EO last week, people assumed he was soft on border security and opening the border...which is not what he did. He simply said we're restoring the defense budget. The $2B by the way was a line item in the defense budget marked for improvements to military family housing on bases and K-12 schools on bases.
Do you know what was designated this yr for the wall? I know it wasn’t anywhere close to 2 Billion

Ok, but it should be discounted over the life of the loan. (If I was only going to pay 4K this year then it should only count as 4K forgiven this year) it should only be taxable on that 4K, then next year another 4K until you get to the full amount that’s scheduled to be forgiven.
Also tied to gpa and major

It actually is in the lump sum payment to pay off the principal. And as far as I understand, if this happens, this part will still apply and I don't know how many people this would help realize this. And it would only be for those people where the fed government still holds the original student loans and not for people who may have consolidated through private programs at lower interest rates.

The rebate should not apply for degrees like philosophy. If the government is going to buy college degreess, those degrees should be in something useful. ie Engineering or Accounting.

And those with a higher gpa should be rewarded.

The rebate should not apply for degrees like philosophy. If the government is going to buy college degreess, those degrees should be in something useful. ie Engineering or Accounting.

And those with a higher gpa should be rewarded.
Who the hell are you to judge which degrees are worthwhile? The world only needs so many engineers and accountants. If everyone chooses engineering or accounting, you're not going to have any graphic design or advertising. You won't have any films or television, no lawyers (most of them do poly-sci which is pretty much a joke without the law degree), no music. When your wife decides she wants to see a counselor because you've been such a turd there won't be any for you, and when she leaves you depressed and alone, you won't be able to see a psychiatrist either. Those ag majors at OSU? Screw those guys. How about the vets that help your dog when he gets hit by a car? What are they supposed to major in prior to vet school?

I know people with engineering degrees that never used the engineering degrees and people with art design degrees that have accomplished much more.

And no offense but not all GPA’s are created equal. You learn that quite quickly when you have a petroleum geology class with energy management majors who whine about how difficult it is, when for petroleum engineers it’s your easiest class... I could have flown through that program. Instead I chose something challenging. You don’t get to punish me for that.

Last edited:
And where do you get a job with a philosophy degree?
Carly Fiorina, Gerald Levin, Herbert Allison, Sheila Bair, Carl Icahn, Patrick Byrne, George Soros, Stewart Butterfield, Peter Thiel, just to name a few.

Key word "few".

My brother got an English degree. He could quote a lot of Shakespeare

I'm not saying that these are not good subjects. I got a math degree. What can you do with a math degree? Work for nasa? It was my Accounting minor that got me my first job.

Last edited:
Key word "few".

My brother got an English degree. He could quote a lot of Shakespeare

I'm not saying that these are not good subjects. I got a math degree. What can you do with a math degree? Work for nasa? It was my Accounting minor that got me my first job.
So what you’re saying is that you didn’t get a job in your degree field even though it was a STEM field... go figure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT