ADVERTISEMENT

Sterling Taplin plans to lead Tulsa back to NCAA Tournament -- Free content

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
It's not that Sterling Taplin necessarily thinks of himself as an old man now. But his arrival in Tulsa seems to him like ages ago. Taplin, a 6-foot-1 senior point guard, has now matured into the undisputed leader of the team, and is Tulsa’s best player. When he is playing well, Tulsa is a tough team to handle. This season will be something of a legacy season for Taplin since he has a chance, with an outstanding season, to go down as one of the best point guards in Tulsa history.

LINK: Taplin wants to lead TU back to NCAA Tournament

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Thanks Larry. I enjoy your articles, especially basketball. As you reported, Taplin, being a senior and our point guard, is expected to lead this team. It is obvious when he’s in the game we are so much better. The offensive flow is better. Players seem to be in better positions and have more open shots.

Great point guards make those things happen. Let’s hope he can make it throughout the season without missing time due to injuries.

When we look back on most of our great teams, we had a really good point guard. That’s why it was really important to get Isaiah Hill in the 2019 class.

Having been a point guard myself and a coach, I still remember all the thinking that is required to play that position well. When I watch a game, I still look at it thru the eyes of a point guard—what they’re trying to accomplish.

As Taplin stated, we’re going to have to play hard each game. I think if we do that and with his leadership, we’ll be dancing in March. I sure hope so.

@Larry Lewis, I know you have a lot of Tulsa basketball knowledge. My memory is not as good as it once was. Do you recall the name of the point guard Jim King signed from Los Angeles? John Wooden used him in some of his instructional videos. I don’t think he ever made it to campus, like the juco player who led the nation in scoring and ended up at New Mexico.

Also, we signed a guard from New Trier, IL who was also a stud quarterback. Don’t know if he ever played at Tulsa. I know it wasn’t Ty Nillson??

Thanks. And if anyone else can answer these questions, please do. Seniorgolfer, Roger, I’m sure you remember.

Thanks, Bill, much appreciated. I think as Taplin goes, so goes Tulsa. If he is playing well, TU will be tough to beat. I think he has a chance to have a terrific season.

As for the King recruits, if they didn't make it to campus, I wouldn't know who they are. I can remember most of the ones who made it to campus. I remember guys who were supposed to be good and didn't pan out, like a guard in Nilsson's class named Brad Pierce. He stayed a year, played a little, and left when Nolan arrived.

Very interesting note on the Wooden instructional video.

Thanks, Bill, much appreciated. I think as Taplin goes, so goes Tulsa. If he is playing well, TU will be tough to beat. I think he has a chance to have a terrific season.

As for the King recruits, if they didn't make it to campus, I wouldn't know who they are. I can remember most of the ones who made it to campus. I remember guys who were supposed to be good and didn't pan out, like a guard in Nilsson's class named Brad Pierce. He stayed a year, played a little, and left when Nolan arrived.

Very interesting note on the Wooden instructional video.

Thanks Larry. Pierce could have been the player from New Trier, IL. I remember he had some Big Ten offers as a quarterback. He should have stuck with football. Lol

I remember a story Bill Connors told about a phone conversation he had with Nolan Richardson shortly after Nolan was named head coach at Tulsa. Talking about his style of defense, Nolan said if an opposing team had slow guards "we'll be on them at the bus." Connors told Nolan, "you know, you're inheriting two of the slowest guards in America." He was referring to Pierce and Nilsson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT