ADVERTISEMENT

Starting Lineup and 6th/7th Man???

I hope Christopolos gets it this year since he has already paid his own way last year.

My biggest concern is that Haith may be unable to tell who can play
until we have had a couple of "bad losses" which usually eliminates
us from the bubble. This is the year I hope he will only sub one or at
most two at a time and not disrupt momentum.
Well said, and I agree....The one overriding problem with Haith's
version of TU basketball, is that he recruits 3*s that range from the
top of that category all the way to the bottom.....While his team as
a whole, when you go nine or ten deep has all of the requisite
basketball skills, it is hard to define which seven or eight of them have
the MOST of those skills that is necessary to WIN....No individual
player has them all..Thus one of the strong reasons why we have the
pell-mell substitution patterns in the early games....

Couple that with the 2018 recruiting class that is down to Jones (who
red shirted and is yet to play), and you can see why it was necessary
to bring in yet another large recruiting class into the fold, and will be
just as necessary to test them "under the lights" in early games...

So much of our success, or the lack thereof, revolves around our ability
to recruit players that have the complete skill set...While the 2019 class
seems to be a significant upgrade from that 2018 class, the jury is still
out on what that means in the W-L category.....

Some say that Haith is coaching for his job this season...True or not, he
should damned well coach as if that were true.......

One thing is for sure....Pell-mell substitution early in the season serves no
good purpose....Playing with the players you will be playing with later is
the thing that develops team chemistry....There is no "substitution" for
that....

Last edited:
Reactions: 4tu2
I also think that if Embery gets the waiver, he'll probably take the point. He
seems like a player that needs the ball in his hands to be special and he's
not a prolific shooter. He's also a tad smaller than Joiner. For me, this is
what I'm seeing:

PG: Embery-Simpson* (25-28 mpg), Hill (10-12 mpg)
SG: Joiner* (23-25 mpg), Jackson (15 mpg)
SF: Korita* (20 mpg), Jones (20 mpg)
PF: Rachal* (18-20 mpg), Horne (22 mpg)
C: Igbanu* (26 mpg), Ugboh (14 mpg)

Good post......Really hard to tell who will actually start, and I hope there
are some pleasant surprises as far as performance vs. expectations are
concerned.....

Starters or not, there are key people who I hope are "good enough to
start", that include some of the new folks and some of our carry-overs:
Whether they start isn't really material, as Haith wants the relief team
to have some zest also....

Ugboh--I hope he is tough defensively, and is a plus in that respect...He
doesn't need to be a high scorer if he can protect the rim and rebound...

Rachal--Takes pride in his defense, sounds a lot like Jeffries sans the
three ball....He can play D and rebound....Kind of an offset to Horne
whose real forte is on the offensive end....

KES--I will assume he will get his waiver, as the coach that recruited him
was fired.....This young man has a lot of talent, and I hope we find the
right path that will let him use it....I remember Ricky Ross, who was going
to be the next who-ever.....He went every where, and did little or nothing
until he came to TU and Nolan let him be RICKY ROSS of all things! The
answer is sometimes as easy as that....

Hill.....I feel it is very important for him to be able to play Point for even a
few more minutes that you suggest....For this team to really reach it's
potential, Joiner has to be at the 2! I can't remember many sequences
last season where Joiner at PG gave us many positive outcomes...At
SG, we might see a much different player in Joiner....Let's hope that
Hill, KES, and Christopoluos can handle that PG spot.....

Horne--I am reminded by a current commercial....When is just OK not
quite OK? Horne is almost always a positive on the offensive end...He
is OK on the defensive end and in his rebounding....If he could strengthen
those, it would make us a lot more dangerous team!

Overall, this team is more physical than last season's, and probably
better rebounders.....Perimeter shooting and ball handling might be no
better....We don't know yet.....

I'm anxious to get it started to see what we have....This team might really
be something.......

I have to disagree on Horne’s D and rebounding. He averaged 5 rebounds per game which I thought was pretty good considering how much he played on the perimeter. He also was good at getting his hands in the passing lanes and either getting steals or deflections. I thought he was a more complete player than I expected.

I also think that if Embery gets the waiver, he'll probably take the point. He seems like a player that needs the ball in his hands to be special and he's not a prolific shooter. He's also a tad smaller than Joiner. For me, this is what I'm seeing:

PG: Embery-Simpson* (25-28 mpg), Hill (10-12 mpg)
SG: Joiner* (23-25 mpg), Jackson (15 mpg)
SF: Korita* (20 mpg), Jones (20 mpg)
PF: Rachal* (18-20 mpg), Horne (22 mpg)
C: Igbanu* (26 mpg), Ugboh (14 mpg)

I think some are trying to force a PG position on two of our best shooters....KES and Joiner...... Hill needs to step up and take control of the point. That's what we recruited him for. Those other two suffer offensively when asked to do too much at the point. They are quintessential 2G's.

Reactions: t-townpod
I think some are trying to force a PG position on two of our best shooters....KES and Joiner...... Hill needs to step up and take control of the point. That's what we recruited him for. Those other two suffer offensively when asked to do too much at the point. They are quintessential 2G's.
KES didn't shoot very well at Arkansas (not sure if that's an anomaly or not) I think he's going to be used a lot like Haith used Shaq Harrison / Sterlin Taplin. I'm guessing he's going to be asked to use his quickness and handles to drive downhill and get to the basket off the high pick and roll.

He was a great shooter in high school. I am also perplexed with his UA shooting.

He was a great shooter in high school. I am also perplexed with his UA shooting.
I just think he's too good at running the pick and roll to not have the ball in his hands. He was basically used as a utility guard last year and we saw that it didn't really put him in a position to have success. I think the entire reason he came to Tulsa is probably because Haith promised him he'd be able to run the offense here.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
Joiner played fourth/fifth most minutes on the team, a large part of it at pg. He averaged a 2-1 assist to turn over ratio.

He is a combo guard and served very well as a back up pg. He was less effective in the two spot and will need to raise all of his shooting percentages if we are using him as a two.

Taplin didn't perform as well or as consistently as we expected last year and no second post presence were the issues.

I think Joiner will probably play point. I don’t think he’s that great of a shooter and as much as I like Jackson, that’s a JP era type backcourt if they are in a same time. Maybe his shooting will be better.

We need someone to replace Scott’s shooting. I think we’ll be fine. We won’t miss Scott’s other occasionally goofy tendencies. But he could shoot.

Reactions: ctt8410
I think Joiner will probably play point. I don’t think he’s that great of a shooter and as much as I like Jackson, that’s a JP era type backcourt if they are in a same time. Maybe his shooting will be better.

We need someone to replace Scott’s shooting. I think we’ll be fine. We won’t miss Scott’s other occasionally goofy tendencies. But he could shoot.
Scott was a good scorer of the basketball. He always found ways to find himself an open shot or get to the line. But you're right, I could do without his being the designated ball handler against the press (designated by the other team's HC).

Reactions: Gold*
I was hard on him and he proved me wrong a couple of times. But that dribbling. That was also JP era stuff. He may have done drills with Seneca Collins at the basketball camp.

I was hard on him and he proved me wrong a couple of times. But that dribbling. That was also JP era stuff. He may have done drills with Seneca Collins at the basketball camp.
I think it is OK to be constructively critical without being mean spirited. We recognize some of the shortcomings of indivdiual players (and some on this board have somewhat trained eyes for it too), we can only hope the coaches and the player recognize those "areas of growth" as well.

I agree. And I don’t think I was wrong in what I said. But evidently someone in his family wasn’t happy. I don’t know why we can’t have that discussion and we should. We all want our players to succeed (well maybe everyone but red dirt, zit, and rip).

I think back in the JP era, when there was nothing good to say, we really clamped down on criticism of players. Back then it just wasn’t helpful. But we should be able to have a tasteful discussion of what our guys should be able to do better.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
He was hurt at Arkansas. Had stress fracture treated sugicall but did not heal. Has repeat surgery here this summer. I hope that was the reason for freshman woes.
I agree, we need hill at point and joiner and embry at the 2. We need outside shooting. Horne good shooter at the 3 spoty

Reactions: seniorgolfer
I think it is OK to be constructively critical without being mean spirited. We recognize some of the shortcomings of indivdiual players (and some on this board have somewhat trained eyes for it too), we can only hope the coaches and the player recognize those "areas of growth" as well.

I just want to remind everyone that Jackson made a huge jump from his freshman year to last. While Joiner continued to grow his game and leadership. I expect a lot of worker again from Jackson on some of his weaker points, kid has a great attitude and drive. I hope it pays off. Both players have room to grow and have shown they will put in the work to do so, I think they will be critical to the level of success this team will experience. If Jackson improves his shot substantially....woooooo boy

He was hurt at Arkansas. Had stress fracture treated sugicall but did not heal. Has repeat surgery here this summer. I hope that was the reason for freshman woes.
I agree, we need hill at point and joiner and embry at the 2. We need outside shooting. Horne good shooter at the 3 spoty
You know, point guards can shoot too? lol.

I just want to remind everyone that Jackson made a huge jump from his freshman year to last. While Joiner continued to grow his game and leadership. I expect a lot of worker again from Jackson on some of his weaker points, kid has a great attitude and drive. I hope it pays off. Both players have room to grow and have shown they will put in the work to do so, I think they will be critical to the level of success this team will experience. If Jackson improves his shot substantially....woooooo boy
I do too....If Jackson can improve his FT shooting as much as he did last year,
I would bet he can come up with an average or better OS shot....

One thing for sure.....He can do one thing that no one else on the team can
do....He can (and did) make us a transition team....He can absolutely FLY!
His defense, is quick and deadly....I really like to watch him.....Here's hoping
he can do the whole Sha-bang well enough to get substantial floor time.....

Reactions: TU4ever2
One thing is for sure....Pell-mell substitution early in the season serves no
good purpose....Playing with the players you will be playing with later is
the thing that develops team chemistry....There is no "substitution" for
that
That sure makes sense to me, & probably applies to most other sports as well. A guy named Greg Beer?halter immediately comes to mind in the other futbol. He's new coach of US Men's soccer & suffers from this exact thing. (Sorry about thread detour).

KES didn't shoot very well at Arkansas (not sure if that's an anomaly or not) I think he's going to be used a lot like Haith used Shaq Harrison / Sterlin Taplin. I'm guessing he's going to be asked to use his quickness and handles to drive downhill and get to the basket off the high pick and roll.
He had injury issues at arky

He was hurt at Arkansas. Had stress fracture treated sugicall but did not
heal. Has repeat surgery here this summer. I hope that was the reason
for freshman woes.
I agree, we need hill at point and joiner and embry at the 2. We need
outside shooting. Horne good shooter at the 3 spot..
You know, point guards can shoot too? lol.
Yes! Those few games during his career that Tap lit it up, we were very
hard to beat....Some players want the ball in play making situations,
and are the most effective when they have it....Others, and I have always
felt Joiner was one, had rather catch and shoot, or move freely without
the ball....

Joiner has steadily (but slowly) gained in ability at the point....I wonder if
his role for this year isn't yet to be defined, depending on the waiver
success of KES, and the development of Hill.....

Reactions: I.I.
With Georgia Tech getting a significant penalty, I'd be surprised if Haywood's chances for a waiver approval didn't go up as well.
If we even applied for him, and if he could have even known there was a possibility when he transferred.

If we even applied for him, and if he could have even known there was a possibility when he transferred.
The coaches said they were going to apply for both of our transfers. I'm not sure what kind of reasoning they would have applied to it when they mailed in their waiver request, but it seems like a legitimate consideration for the NCAA to make. At least as legitimate as Grimes transferring from Kansas to Houston.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT