ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Ball

Pat Jones said today on 97.1 the Sports Animal that he will be interviewing Kevin Wilson tomorrow on air and will get to the bottom of Tulsas team this season after he went over Tulsas schedule this fall a game at a time 😂 obviously expert picking a lot of losses this fall 😜
Hard to believe that this could go any way but Jones talking stupid and Wilson shredding him.

It’s actually more than $6M a year because TU would likely drop some women ships they now give to comply with Title9. Now I believe it’s a bad idea but the number would likely be closer to $10M a year.

It’s actually more than $6M a year because TU would likely drop some women ships they now give to comply with Title9. Now I believe it’s a bad idea but the number would likely be closer to $10M a year.
Wow $10 million decision to make your school an Oru institution we still would have high academics ratings but you think we are invisible in the Oklahoma media now just wait Nsu would get more publicity with no football program.

How much TV revenue would be lost? The network contracts are for about 90% football and 10% Olympic sports, most of which is men’s basketball.

How much TV revenue would be lost? The network contracts are for about 90% football and 10% Olympic sports, most of which is men’s basketball.
We’d lose almost all of it:

A. The AAC would kick us out immediately and we’d be begging the Missouri valley to take us back… or worse the summit league 🤢

There would be no money made to speak of.

B. If for some reason they didn’t kick us out, our share would likely be a mere fraction of what everyone else gets. I believe WSU, for example, gets around $2m for just participating in Olympic sports.

C. The ramifications on campus and among donors, for dropping football, would cripple the university or at the very least set it back many many years.

So yes, while football has some unique struggles that we must try to overcome, it is MUCH better to continue working towards that than throwing in the towel.

We’d lose almost all of it:

A. The AAC would kick us out immediately and we’d be begging the Missouri valley to take us back… or worse the summit league 🤢

There would be no money made to speak of.

B. If for some reason they didn’t kick us out, our share would likely be a mere fraction of what everyone else gets. I believe WSU, for example, gets around $2m for just participating in Olympic sports.

C. The ramifications on campus and among donors, for dropping football, would cripple the university or at the very least set it back many many years.

So yes, while football has some unique struggles that we must try to overcome, it is MUCH better to continue working towards that than throwing in the towel.
So in other words, Pat Jones is an idiot.

I haven’t listened to rambling Pat in years. His latest “new” idea (he’s said this garbage before) for TU to drop football is classic Pat Jones. From an OSU perspective, that would be good news. It would be less competition in the sports marketplace and would theoretically add more OSU football fans.

I have always felt many OSU fans are like Pat Jones & wished TU would drop football. OU fans may be arrogant, but that arrogance allows many of them to also root for TU’s football success. They rarely appear threatened by TU success. That’s the opposite of how I believe many OSU fans feel about TU football.

Regardless, it’s hilarious that Jones is still on Tulsa radio spouting his OSU focused stupidity about Tulsa football. Wilson or someone at TU needs to call him out for this nonsense.

Reactions: Tu Geo
I haven’t listened to rambling Pat in years. His latest “new” idea (he’s said this garbage before) for TU to drop football is classic Pat Jones. From an OSU perspective, that would be good news. It would be less competition in the sports marketplace and would theoretically add more OSU football fans.

I have always felt many OSU fans are like Pat Jones & wished TU would drop football. OU fans may be arrogant, but that arrogance allows many of them to also root for TU’s football success. They rarely appear threatened by TU success. That’s the opposite of how I believe many OSU fans feel about TU football.

Regardless, it’s hilarious that Jones is still on Tulsa radio spouting his OSU focused stupidity about Tulsa football. Wilson or someone at TU needs to call him out for this nonsense.
Maybe we need to beat them a time or two instead of just playing them close. It’s been 25 years now.

My dad (OU fan) and I don't agree on a lot, but we do agree on our distaste for Jones. Even more than his constant idiotic comments about TU is his nostalgic view of his coaching days. If you listen to him talk, it sounds like he was one of the best coaches ever, yet his coaching career is around .500. Including his final 6 seasons, he had an "incredible" win rate of .273.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
I think we lose about 7 million in TV revenue plus the loss of media exposure. Idiotic.
That’s roughly the hard cash number. It comes with soft perks that if valued in dollars increase the exposure to the university. The indirect impact to admission numbers, net student tuition paid, and student population diversity would be significant and valued at a rate much higher than $10M over time. TU can’t drop football and can’t drop down conferences. If they could, theres been enough arrogant and narrow minded people in charge over the last 25 years that they would have done it by now. The current leadership gets it.

I'm not a Pat Jones fan but he was able to land 2 of the greatest RBs the NFL has ever seen and convinced them to go to OSU...Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders. And he will never let people forget that

I'm not a Pat Jones fan but he was able to land 2 of the greatest RBs the NFL has ever seen and convinced them to go to OSU...Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders. And he will never let people forget that
Didn’t he also land the wide receiver - Hart Lee Dykes - that got OSU, ILL, OU, UT (and everyone in the old SWC except Rice and Baylor) on probation for offering illegal inducements? Everyone was shocked when he signed with OSU and they hid him in Enid the weekend and days leading up to signing.

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
Didn’t he also land the wide receiver - Hart Lee Dykes - that got OSU, ILL, OU, UT (and everyone in the old SWC except Rice and Baylor) on probation for offering illegal inducements? Everyone was shocked when he signed with OSU and they hid him in Enid the weekend and days leading up to signing.
Yeah, he was a Poke too...and then the Patriots drafted him and he basically did nothing in New England except get injured

Reactions: TU65alum
I don't quite understand why an athlete let them hide them back in those days. I'd think they wanted the attention, and possibly a better offer. Unless it was peer pressure and guarantees of financial means that wouldn't be guaranteed unless they let them hide them. I don't see how they could guarantee something that was illegal though. But I'm sure there are ways.

Its breathtaking in its stupidity that a person (Pat Jones) so heavily involved with NCAA football for over 40 years would ever suggest a team that is part of the American Athletic Conference would suggest giving up football.

It makes you wonder if he even understands the economics behind Div One big time sports. Crazy for Tulsa to give up the incredible amount of TV revenue in football.

Just plain dumb!!!!! LOL But not surprised.

GO TU!!!!

Its breathtaking in its stupidity that a person (Pat Jones) so heavily involved with NCAA football for over 40 years would ever suggest a team that is part of the American Athletic Conference would suggest giving up football.

It makes you wonder if he even understands the economics behind Div One big time sports. Crazy for Tulsa to give up the incredible amount of TV revenue in football.

Just plain dumb!!!!! LOL But not surprised.

GO TU!!!!
He clearly doesn't understand the economics or the exposure, plus he's a bit vindictive...

Reactions: libertychamp
Maybe we need to beat them a time or two instead of just playing them close.
I'm sick of playing any P-5 team close into the 4th Q and then folding our tent. That's why I'm very happy that KDub is working our guys hard. If some can't hack it, boo hoo! Frank Kush he is NOT, as evidenced by comments recently by several players noted on here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT