ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina

at home. They just quit on their coach it appears.

Another example of why you don't hire loud mouth control freak coaches. That was always a questionable model, but now may be defunct.

Another example of why you don't hire loud mouth control freak coaches. That was always a questionable model, but now may be defunct.
That's because kids today are soft. It works for some, it doesn't for others. There's a reason why Larry Bird finished school in Terre Haute, IN instead of Bloomington. He didn't mesh with Bobby Knight's personality. But it has to be up to the kid. Today coaches are held to ridiculous standards by parents and the cell-phone culture society has taken on. If the kid doesn't want to be yelled at because he is not performing to the level coaches think he should, then let him transfer. He made the choice to attend the university and play for that coach (in most instances). To many times it's a parent calling an AD or a university president to complain about how their son/daughter was treated by a coach because all they got was a phone call from the player because they never taught their son/daughter how to address issues appropriately. You don't go whine to mom and dad. You talk to the coach...if he doesn't want to listen, go talk to the AD. We have parents who have forgotten that their job as a parent is to raise a child and teach them to be an adult...not be an adult for them. They call professors arguing about grades. They call me to complain about their child's roommate. The question from me to them is always "Have they talked to anybody at the school about it? have them come by my office and we'll see what we can figure out." Parents have morphed from being "helicopter parents" to "snowplow parents" (those who just move the obstacles out of the way).

<SMH>

Reactions: scotty0912
Over generalize much on your soap box? Frank Martin is a head case of a coach. How do you know any of the kids on his team are/were soft?

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Too many words. I don't think kids are soft if they won't tolerate verbal abuse in public from an employer, teacher, or coach. There's a major difference from that and helicopter parents. We don't need a diatribe on the latter. Martin is an established bully. Ain't got no time for that.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT