ADVERTISEMENT

Some Skelly Field history

quincy101

I.T.S. Position Coach
Nov 4, 2007
I'm visiting my beloved in-laws about 35 miles southwest of Green Bay in Appleton. A big deal up here in sports news is the 50th anniv. of the 1966 NFL championship between the Packers & Dallas, which they say was one of the top 10 games in NFL history & 1 year before the "Ice Bowl".

To practice in better weather for the game, the late Don Chandler, the Pack's kicker from Broken Arrow, talked Lombardi into flying to Tulsa for practices @ TU. Unfortunately for Chandler and the team, an ice storm in Tulsa left Skelly Field in worse shape than Lambeau Field was before they left. Apparently, someone rigged a heater or something up to rear of a 1963 Cadillac & tried to defrost the field. Anyway, the Packers won the game in the Cotton Bowl. There were some giants playing in that game such as Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Bob Hayes, Dandy Don Meredith, Dan Reeves and many others.

Meanwhile, Lombardi & all his teammates were giving Don Chandler hell about the "great" weather in Tulsa. I had no clue about the Packers coming here but maybe some guys on here remember this & can elaborate. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

I remember in the 70's, Bud Grant brought the Minnesota Vikings to Skelly to practice for playoff games. I believe the weather did the same for the Vikings that it did to the Packers.

In the 1965 preseason, the "opening" of the greatly expanded Skelly Stadium from about 20,000 to over 40,000 was ushered in by Jerry Rhome having a great day for the Dallas Cowboys throwing to fellow rookie "Bullet" Bob Hayes. I can't remember who the Cowboys played.

Of course, Rhome, coming off his second place finish in the Heisman voting, was a huge reason the stadium was expanded after the 1964 season.

I remember going out to Minnesota practice at Skelly. I forget what they called the front 4 on defense for Minnesota? I know they were darn good.

Don Chandler, although not born in Oklahoma moved to Tulsa and graduated from Will Rogers High School.

Reactions: mccbob
Carl Eller, Gary Larson, Alan Page, and Jim Marshall were the feared foursome known as the Purple People Eaters.

Colin Boulton was more of the prototype keeper personality.

But the NASL forced teams to play at least 3 North Americans and most teams liked to use a keeper to fulfill that commitment.

Don Chandler was a regular customer at my dad's restaurant BTW in the 70s and 80s. I think his kids started up Rib Crib.

Don Chandler was a regular customer at my dad's restaurant BTW in the 70s and 80s. I think his kids started up Rib Crib.
You are correct, Dr. It was his son, Brett. Brett & his young family rented half our duplex in the late '80's when "Daddy" had financed Brett in a misc. construction crew which failed. Then, Mr. Chandler financed him in a bar-bq joint & the rest is history. BTW, the young Chandler family moved out owing us rent $ & $4K worth of damages to our unit. Now the sucker is a millionaire bbq magnate. Go figure!

Reactions: RealTUTypical
Colin Boulton was more of the prototype keeper personality.

But the NASL forced teams to play at least 3 North Americans and most teams liked to use a keeper to fulfill that commitment.
Michael Caine had that problem too.

In 1965 and 1966 Cowboys played the Bears and Vikings. Bears were coached by George Halas and included Gayle Sayers and Brian Piccolo ( of Brian's Song fame). Rhome played for Dallas as well as Willie Townes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT