ADVERTISEMENT

So...what bowl games are likely to have an unexpected opening?

I don't think anyone will know until the negotiations start. The B-12 has 8 tie-ins and will have a maximum of 7 bowl eligible teams, and that requires Texas to beat TCU next week. I haven't looked at the rest of the conferences.

my guess is we will know on Saturday after Cinncy. Maybe before. There will be bowl openings from conferences that don't make the number. That will not be the SEC where I count 10, due to fattening Ws off of DIIs and low major DIs.

Reactions: TU Sepp
I don't think anyone will know until the negotiations start. The B-12 has 8 tie-ins and will have a maximum of 7 bowl eligible teams, and that requires Texas to beat TCU next week. I haven't looked at the rest of the conferences.
Right now the Big XII has 5 bowl eligible teams, and coins have 6 with Texas but I think that team will phone it in as well. Rumor is Baylor is more likely to not accept a bowl bid leaving 4 Big XII teams. B1G has not filled their tie-ins and I don't think the SEC has either. There have also been a lot of G5 wins over P5s which has really thrown things out of whack for bowl tie-ins.

One of those Big 12 bowls is the Liberty Bowl, but I imagine they would take Memphis before us.

I don't know why Memphis would want to go to a bowl in their own stadium. what kind of reward is that? Right now 62 teams have 6 wins and 18 more have 5 wins.

Reactions: RealTUTypical
Memphis has never played in the Liberty Bowl game and that is craved by the locals. It's a sore point that TU has won to LBs recently.

Memphis has never played in the Liberty Bowl game and that is craved by the locals. It's a sore point that TU has won to LBs recently.
Tommy West, Memphis' former coach, lobbied actively for the Liberty Bowl to take Memphis over us in 2005 after we had won the C-USA championship. I believe the C-USA commissioner made sure the Liberty Bowl was contractually obligated to take the conference champion and the invite was part of the trophy presentation in Orlando.

I expect we will be in the "Heart of Dallas Bowl" have from the beginning of the season.
We will see.

GO TU!!!!

The AAC has secondary affiliations with the Independence, Liberty and Poinsettia Bowls. Those will most likely be filled first if they have openings.

Does the conference have to fill our bowl partners fist?

Theoretically, yes, but there are negotiations between the bowls and the conferences. The AAC didn't fill all of their contracted spots last year and sent TU to the independence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT