ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day

quincy101

I.T.S. Position Coach
Nov 4, 2007
As of 10am, we signed a dozen: 4-WR's; 2-OL's; 1-DL; 1-CB; 1-QB; 1-deep snapper; and 2-LB's. Looks like a pretty good group. On the other hand, we lose 24 starters & back-ups & 3 coaches & counting.

Apparently, no one is opting out of the Myrtle Bowl. Which means we will lay a pretty good thumpin on poor ODU.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU_BLA
As of 10am, we signed a dozen: 4-WR's; 2-OL's; 1-DL; 1-CB; 1-QB; 1-deep snapper; and 2-LB's. Looks like a pretty good group. On the other hand, we lose 24 starters & back-ups & 3 coaches & counting.

Apparently, no one is opting out of the Myrtle Bowl. Which means we will lay a pretty good thumpin on poor ODU.
Apparently Jaxon Player wants to score a TD so I look for him in the 4th quarter with a 3rd and goal to get the football. He said he'll do a front flip as a celebration. I'm here to see that!

Reactions: TulsaGrad07
What happened to the DL that committed (verbally) a few days ago from Colorado? If he didn't sign today does that mean we lost him to another school?

What happened to the DL that committed (verbally) a few days ago from Colorado? If he didn't sign today does that mean we lost him to another school?
I'm not 100% sure but transfers are handled differently. I don't believe they have to wait once they put their name in the portal they can shop themselves around and they would sign a financial aid agreement and not the traditional LOI that HS seniors would sign.

Reactions: TULOYAL
On the first day of the early football signing period, which runs Dec. 15 to Dec. 17, Tulsa signed all but one of its current commitments. A total of 12 recruits signed letters of intent with TU, including two from Oklahoma.

Apparently Jaxon Player wants to score a TD so I look for him in the 4th quarter with a 3rd and goal to get the football. He said he'll do a front flip as a celebration. I'm here to see that!
I hope it happens! Would he have to change jersey #s to pull that off?

Only if there is another #90 on offense. He would just report in as eligible and line up in the backfield.
Only numbers 50 through 79 are ineligible in college football. He can wear 90 in the backfield and not need to change numbers or report, so long as he is not lined up at an ineligible position (guard or center or some tackles) when the ball is snapped and no other offensive player on that play is wearing #90. The rules are similar but much different for the pros due to smaller rosters and the preference of TV knowing who is playing exactly what each play. This is one of the differences.

Gus had a ridiculous play that never made into a game situation thank God, where the QB3 would switch jerseys to high number in the eighties or nineties and line up at tackle uncovered on the field side with no WR on that side of the line. QB 3 would thus have to report as eligible but look like a tight end at first glance. Who really knows what a third string QB looks like anyway through a face mask? QB2 would line up in the slot in a diamond formation of WR on the boundary side. At the snap, QB1 would fumblerooski, which was picked up by QB3. QB2 would read the defense and either streaked as a WR or shallowed in the backfield based on safety rotation or keys. He would shallow if he saw a single safety, and QB 3 would zip a back pass to him. Meanwhile QB1 after the fumble would run field side on a streak. If uncovered, QB2 would hit him in the open. If covered, QB2 would read WR1 for a hitch or rush for whatever he could get. He ran it a couple of times in high school. Where it belongs.

We did use three QBs on a couple of plays in 2008 using similar creative substitutions designed to generate confusion in part hoping to exploit the opponents complacency, fatigue or lack of familiarity with the rules. Those plays were reverses with Bower and Whitmore both having an RPO after lining up as WR. It worked once. At UAB iirc, Clay or maybe Sears caught like a 40 yard pass. Sears was a former big boy QB who walked on as a TE, in part to be available for that stupid fumblerooski play I confusingly described above.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA and TU1NNJ
Only numbers 50 through 79 are ineligible in college football. He can wear 90 in the backfield and not need to change numbers or report, so long as he is not lined up at an ineligible position (guard or center or some tackles) when the ball is snapped and no other offensive player on that play is wearing #90. The rules are similar but much different for the pros due to smaller rosters and the preference of TV knowing who is playing exactly what each play. This is one of the differences.

Gus had a ridiculous play that never made into a game situation thank God, where the QB3 would switch jerseys to high number in the eighties or nineties and line up at tackle uncovered on the field side with no WR on that side of the line. QB 3 would thus have to report as eligible but look like a tight end at first glance. Who really knows what a third string QB looks like anyway through a face mask? QB2 would line up in the slot in a diamond formation of WR on the boundary side. At the snap, QB1 would fumblerooski, which was picked up by QB3. QB2 would read the defense and either streaked as a WR or shallowed in the backfield based on safety rotation or keys. He would shallow if he saw a single safety, and QB 3 would zip a back pass to him. Meanwhile QB1 after the fumble would run field side on a streak. If uncovered, QB2 would hit him in the open. If covered, QB2 would read WR1 for a hitch or rush for whatever he could get. He ran it a couple of times in high school. Where it belongs.

We did use three QBs on a couple of plays in 2008 using similar creative substitutions designed to generate confusion in part hoping to exploit the opponents complacency, fatigue or lack of familiarity with the rules. Those plays were reverses with Bower and Whitmore both having an RPO after lining up as WR. It worked once. At UAB iirc, Clay or maybe Sears caught like a 40 yard pass. Sears was a former big boy QB who walked on as a TE, in part to be available for that stupid fumblerooski play I confusingly described above.
I remember we used this with David Johnson as well. My memory has faded over the years, but I seem to recall that we'd switch his jersey to #28 and line him up at WR. Then we'd throw a bubble screen to him and he'd throw deep.

Reactions: PNTrough
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT