ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage

goldenhurricane2

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2006
It was nice getting a taste of football today. It was a little warm but it was worth it.

The first thing everyone was looking at was qb... I’m my opinion, skipper is far and away the starter this year. He looked much more comfortable and his accuracy and decision making has also improved significantly. Seth Boomer should be skippers backup - he has some great potential. Zach Smith also looked pretty good, but he’ll be sitting out this season. Everyone else at qb wasn’t overly impressive, but there were a few good throws here and there among them.

The Wide Receivers have also improved. It was nice seeing Hobbs go up for a jump ball and come down with it. He also ran some cleaner routes. Same for Keenan Johnson - he showcased his hands on several plays. Keylon Stokes looked very similar to his brother on a few routes and catches. Several of the younger players made so nice catches too.

O line and RBs were good, but we all knew that and were expecting it.

Secondary is improved. They seem more physical and play closer to the receivers than they have before. Overall they just seemed faster and more physical.

Nate Walker will be fine for us at PK. I saw nothing that concerned me there.

I can’t remember anything else that just stuck out, but I left earlier very optimistic with what I saw. We will definitely be better than last year and a bowl game/winning season is definitely an attainable goal.

Looking forward to 9/1!

I think Boomer should be leading this team this year. He looks very smooth and throws the deep ball very well. If we want to see the offense put up big numbers again then he should be the obvious choice.

Reactions: HuffyCane
MY $.02.

Cornerbacks still have issues in finding the football like last year. They are in the right position but aren't able to locate the ball and make a play on it. There were at least a few wounded ducks thrown high down field that should have been interceptions but instead were completions. This concerns me.

It shouldn't take more than a few games under Zaven Collins' belt for him to be starting at LB. He's big and can run. As long as he can fill gaps and play the run game, the sky is the limit.

QB. Monty has all the talent he needs there to make that a very competitive position. I'm relieved that we should be fine for the next few years at least. I didn't think Zach Smith looked better than anyone else and based upon today's play, wouldn't be the starter.

RB. We appear to be loaded and everyone knows it. Wilkerson certainly passes the eye test but this may be a great year for him to redshirt. I really hope Warren is elibible this year. Not so much because we need him, but as a reward for staying with it and working to get back.

WR. I don't know. I didn't see anything that overly impressed me or made me think someone is going to be as good as Keevan or Josh. On a side note, Montgomery made some nice catches and looked like he might be able to contribute a couple years from now.

I think Boomer should be leading this team this year. He looks very smooth and throws the deep ball very well. If we want to see the offense put up big numbers again then he should be the obvious choice.
He looked good, but Skipper was by far the man today, worried about defense though

Did the defensive line look any better than last year? I saw Gipson was noted as getting past the OL, anybody else stand out?

From afar my biggest concern is lack of pressure on the QB. Obviously LB and CBs have to improve too.

Did the defensive line look any better than last year? I saw Gipson was noted as getting past the OL, anybody else stand out?

From afar my biggest concern is lack of pressure on the QB. Obviously LB and CBs have to improve too.

Did the defense look “any better”? - Yes, they looked improved from last year in several areas.

Is the defense going to be something the team can lean on - No.

Regarding the defense, I believe I read that they were only about 60% installed at this point while the offense was complete with the exception of some wrinkles. If this is the case and the defense looks to be improved (how could they not be with the infusion of talent and return of injured players) at this point they should probably get a pass for a bit. I think there are very few defenses in the country that can be of the quality where a team can lean on them in this day of high powered and explosive offenses. If we can just be serviceable and slow teams down while getting our swagger back on offense I'll be delighted.

Reactions: ShaneB72
Regarding the defense, I believe I read that they were only about 60% installed at this point while the offense was complete with the exception of some wrinkles. If this is the case and the defense looks to be improved (how could they not be with the infusion of talent and return of injured players) at this point they should probably get a pass for a bit. I think there are very few defenses in the country that can be of the quality where a team can lean on them in this day of high powered and explosive offenses. If we can just be serviceable and slow teams down while getting our swagger back on offense I'll be delighted.
It really looked like we had our offense back, they did whatever they wanted and scored, Skipper is already way better than Evans was as a sophomore. I just hope our defense isn't as bad as they looked. We have a 10 win team on offense, just don't know about the defense.

It really looked like we had our offense back, they did whatever they wanted and scored, Skipper is already way better than Evans was as a sophomore. I just hope our defense isn't as bad as they looked. We have a 10 win team on offense, just don't know about the defense.
With the offense that Monty fields, our offense should always be better than our defense. Hell, it should be better than pretty much any defense as long as we have a QB who can throw reliably (and doesn't throw out of his own endzone into coverage in driving rain).

The defense could be better than we think, even given their lackluster performance. It could also be atrocious. Who knows!

Reactions: TULSARISING
Impossible to tell if the QB was not allowed to advance the ball beyond the line of scrimmage — as reported elsewhere.

We thought the offense was solid and defense was shaky at this point last year.

Impossible to tell if the QB was not allowed to advance the ball beyond the line of scrimmage — as reported elsewhere.

We thought the offense was solid and defense was shaky at this point last year.

As we have for the past 10 years.

Yea that’s incorrect he’s not on the team nor at Tulsa.
Hope he finishes college. Wondering if he can transfer anywhere besides a junior college, seeing as how he has used up all his eligibility save his senior year.

I watched the entire scrimmage and it looked to the naked eye like there were a lot of positives. The QB's switching between the different strings made it look a little disjointed. It was nice to see that we were throwing the ball all over the field and the receivers did a much better job in my opinion of finishing catches. I was very reserved about the entire thing until I got home and read the stats from the scrimmage. I would have take any one of the stat lines except Presidents from it last year and we could have won some games. I for one and more hopeful for the season and feeling very positive.

I think Seth will win the QB battle
It's very comforting to me that some on here think Boomer should be the starter & that he had a good recent scrimmage. Ain't gonna happen-but knowing we have a capable back-up(although with zero experience, just like Luke had last year) in case Skipper goes down is again,somewhat comforting. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

Nobody thought Paul Smith could beat San Jose State as a first year player either.

I’m just happy there’s something to be positive about. Having a rough football and basketball season in the same year sucks.

Reactions: TULSARISING
We gonna have to scratch and claw to get 6, but I like this group and this Coach!

Backed in a corner and gonna come out swinging......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT