ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage Thoughts

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Lots of work yet to get where we need to be.
Looks like a three man rotation for the two guards with Taplin Henderson and Wheeler interchangeable.

Birt at the small forward and another three man rotation for the two Big spots. TK, Junior, and Martins.

Atson Artison, and Korita get some good time. If red shirting was based on playing time today , Magnay and Battle might be candidates.

Very impressed with Martins. i think we have a real winner there. TK much better as needed. The JUCO guards are ready to play.

Will be a fun season watching them develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gold* and Gmoney4WW
Henderson might challenge Taplin for starting pg. I really think Igbanu might start over Etou. Wheeler good as the starting sg. Burt and Edogi looked good. Edogi is definitely better than before the redshirt. I was a little confused by Etou staying outside on defense a lot of the time. Thought he was supposed to be a real post defender.

He's tall and fast with the ball. Very interesting.

I thought Geno looked pretty good. He's athletic as heck. I can't tell for sure but he may have a bit of the pre-Madonna complex. I could have mis-read him though too.

Overall athletic and young. Korita is very interesting. Curran Scott seems a little out of place but also had some good moments. Henderson is for sure going to push taplin. So many newbies hard to remember who's who. There was a wing player that surprised me but can't remember who he is. They could be fairly decent later in the year. I definitely think we are more athletic. Bigs need some seasoning, but look like long term better than we have had in awhile.

Artison never seen a shot he didn't like. Unfortunately his shot looks forced and out of control.
Korita has a beautitful stroke but off yesterday. Birt looks like last year and no change in his shot. Nothing but net or a miss. Most impressed with Wheeler and Igbanu, a man child. The bigs can really pass.
Concern for ball handling and outside shooting but I have been told they shoot much better than yesterday's scrimmage.

My first impressions of the new players :

Wheeler looked very good. He can hit the three, the pull up ft line jumper, & he can finish at the rim. He also has good hands on D, tipping the ball away on multiple occasions.

Igbanu has a very high ceiling. He made an NBA move or 2 out there. He will contribute a lot this season.

Curran has a pure 3 point shot. He will be a zone buster next season.

Korita has a nice shot & isn't afraid to shoot. I think he will play this season.

Artison is a 6' 9" wing. Looks like Chris Bosh. I see him presenting match up problems for some opponents.

Henderson played well in spots. He could compliment Taplin at the point.

Etou can play well underneath & come out & hit 3s. I'm still not sure how we will use him, but he will be needed.

Atson has a good game, but had a tough shooting night. I'd like to see him play again.

Magnay shows good potential, but is still developing his game. He might be a red shirt candidate.

Battle also shows good potential, but may be a rs candidate. Per TU website bio, he turns 18 tomorrow. I really think Battle is a winner, who could end up having a very good career @ Tulsa.

Of the returnees, Edogi stood out. TK has great ups, & quicker ups than anyone else. He has really improved & could have a breakout season. Taplin also played well.

Very encouraged by all the newcomers!

I keep looking for a Burt on the roster but don't see anybody by that name. I do see a Birt though. Same person?!111

The two 17 year olds might redshirt. But a lot of factors come into play with those decisions.

Can Magnay redshirt? Australia has the extra year of high school, right?

I suspect so but he is so big at 17, you can imagine him at 21.........

Reactions: Gold*
@I.I., @Gold*, and anyone else who was able to attend, based from the scrimmage alone who is the most impressive newcomer? I'll take the question off the air. Thanks.

Wheeler, Etou, and Igbanu, from what I saw. If I had to choose, I'd say Igbanu. Just seems like a men amongst boys with a high ceiling, like early Michael Ruffin. Maybe has a little bit more of a mean streak at this point.

Wheeler, Etou, and Igbanu, from what I saw. If I had to choose, I'd say Igbanu. Just seems like a men amongst boys with a high ceiling, like early Michael Ruffin. Maybe has a little bit more of a mean streak at this point.
I don't think I was impressed by Etou as much as you. I think he will be a good body to have, but paled next to Igbanu. Maybe it was actually just over expectation.

I just thought he was supposed to be more of a bruiser, especially on defense. He stayed away from the basket on defense a whole lot more than I expected. Tell me I'm wrong?

I'm not saying he was bad, just not what I was expecting. I agree whole heartedly with the assessment on Igbanu and Wheeler, and to a certain extent on Etou(as a third) on the most impressive newcomers.

Does Edogi as a second coming newcomer, qualify? He looked much better and more confident. The cool thing about it though was Igbanu looked almost as good, if not equal to Edogi. They are going to do some damage together. Can't wait to see Igbanu senior year.

From everything I've heard, Etou is really good and will get s lot of minutes. I didn't see anything that challenged that. Did you see that outside shot?

From everything I've heard, Etou is really good and will get s lot of minutes. I didn't see anything that challenged that. Did you see that outside shot?

That was nice.

I guess his role just won't be exactly what I thought it was going to be.

Like I said, it's hard to tell a lot from these scrimmages for us regular fans. You don't see the rotation. But from what I saw, I thought he looked like advertised.

Etou was the best player on the court. I would say he will be our leading scorer. Edogi cannot hit a shot outside of a layup but he is very active around the bucket. Birt is Birt but he is certainly not the same type of athlete as the others.

I agree with Gold. Wheeler, Igbanu & Etou were the most impressive newcomers to me. I was really impressed with Wheeler's overall game. With Igbanu, it was his very high potential. He doesn't physically look like a freshman. Etou played outside more than I envisioned, but you could see he has offensive skills, inside & outside. For next season, I saw Curran Scott not touch rim on 5 straight 3s warming up.

Yeah, Curran Scott looks nice. With him and Wheeler, we have at least a couple of good guards the next couple of years. Scott seemed like another smart player who could do a lot of things and most importantly, can shoot.

Yeah, Curran Scott looks nice. With him and Wheeler, we have at least a couple of good guards the next couple of years. Scott seemed like another smart player who could do a lot of things and most importantly, can shoot.
He's a proven commodity. His stats at Charlotte were impressive during his freshman season. Jeffries is good, but he wasn't a world beater at ORU. I wouldn't mind seeing him if we had some attrition but other than that I think there are better prospects available

He's a proven commodity. His stats at Charlotte were impressive during his freshman season. Jeffries is good, but he wasn't a world beater at ORU. I wouldn't mind seeing him if we had some attrition but other than that I think there are better prospects available

Wrong board. ;)

Igbanu and Wheeler are my newcomers. Very impressed.

Igbanu had the most impressive play of the scrimmage.

Looked like an NBA move.

Edogi has Rodman type rebounding potential.

GO TU!!!!!

Igbanu and Wheeler are my newcomers. Very impressed.

Igbanu had the most impressive play of the scrimmage.

Looked like an NBA move.

Edogi has Rodman type rebounding potential.

GO TU!!!!!

Bingo! That's what I took from it. I like that our bigs seemed very active and mobile. I think we'll be fine, but we'll miss Woodard and Shaq in the close ones.

Scott is a scorer for sure. I believe it was his senior year at Edmond Memorial, Scott broke the single season scoring record by a large amount, and that the same school both James and Jordan Woodard attended.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT