ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Scrimmage @ TU

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Saw the basketball scrimmage at TU today. Low attendance but was not prominently advertised .

Pritchard and Dalger did not play , probably injuries that hopefully heal quickly.

The team was divided between Blue and Gold with players alternating between units occasionally. There is a lot of energy and enthusiasm in the squad and the pace is much faster than previous years.....10X faster than the Wojcik years.

Sam Griffin seems to be the undisputed front runner for leading scorer and he showed how with a ton of threes. He had a good running mate today in the experienced Brandon Betson who played under control and has a pure shooting stroke and delivered several great passes. With those two on the floor, we have a good three point shooting percentage it seems.

Jesiah McWright and BB Knight I lump together as Freshmen guards since I love how both play the game and both will be great contributors if not this year, certainly in the future. Both are big guards with good handles and can shoot the daylights out of the three. They both show some Freshman mistakes as expected early.

The Bigs seem to be working hard offensively, but there is a lot of work to be done there and I am still concerned about where the production will come there. Konstantynovski, Selebangue, and Chukwu all showed some rebounding skills and even Sterling Gaston-Chapman was working half court before scrimmage with those three with his great inside aggressiveness even at his size.

KES is a guy I want to see explode on the scene this year. He didn't stand out to me today, but I want to see if he can be a zone buster when needed.

Urbancic and Seals played well with Seals hitting a few left handed threes nicely but expect they will be spot players.

I don't want to go into detail about the defense since we have an upcoming game other than to say some of you have been wanting to see this type of defensive game for a long time. We have the depth and speed needed to change defenses rapidly.

There were a lot of situation plays run where the opponents are shooting a FT with 4.0 seconds to go and ahead by one. The play that was run was one I saw in the NCAA at the Myriad years ago for those of you that remember it.

In summary, it was about like most of you have expected. Strong guard play with better three point shooting than in previous years, but worrisome inside. Increased tempo and man to man defense. I expect we will go 9 deep into the rotation this year.

Saw the basketball scrimmage at TU today. Low attendance but was not prominently advertised .

Pritchard and Dalger did not play , probably injuries that hopefully heal quickly.

The team was divided between Blue and Gold with players alternating between units occasionally. There is a lot of energy and enthusiasm in the squad and the pace is much faster than previous years.....10X faster than the Wojcik years.

Sam Griffin seems to be the undisputed front runner for leading scorer and he showed how with a ton of threes. He had a good running mate today in the experienced Brandon Betson who played under control and has a pure shooting stroke and delivered several great passes. With those two on the floor, we have a good three point shooting percentage it seems.

Jesiah McWright and BB Knight I lump together as Freshmen guards since I love how both play the game and both will be great contributors if not this year, certainly in the future. Both are big guards with good handles and can shoot the daylights out of the three. They both show some Freshman mistakes as expected early.

The Bigs seem to be working hard offensively, but there is a lot of work to be done there and I am still concerned about where the production will come there. Konstantynovski, Selebangue, and Chukwu all showed some rebounding skills and even Sterling Gaston-Chapman was working half court before scrimmage with those three with his great inside aggressiveness even at his size.

KES is a guy I want to see explode on the scene this year. He didn't stand out to me today, but I want to see if he can be a zone buster when needed.

Urbancic and Seals played well with Seals hitting a few left handed threes nicely but expect they will be spot players.

I don't want to go into detail about the defense since we have an upcoming game other than to say some of you have been wanting to see this type of defensive game for a long time. We have the depth and speed needed to change defenses rapidly.

There were a lot of situation plays run where the opponents are shooting a FT with 4.0 seconds to go and ahead by one. The play that was run was one I saw in the NCAA at the Myriad years ago for those of you that remember it.

In summary, it was about like most of you have expected. Strong guard play with better three point shooting than in previous years, but worrisome inside. Increased tempo and man to man defense. I expect we will go 9 deep into the rotation this year.
You expecting the freshman to be the 10-12 or no.(9 deep)

Good tough defense can take a team a long way. I’m really looking forward to seeing these guys in person.

The last 2 or three may vary depending on who we play. I just hope the substitution patterns are better than the last 15 years , Manning excluded.

Probably Seals and Urbancic are the ones I would expect not to be in some type of rotation. My number keeps going up. Lol.

Saw Konkol in person outside the stadium with a few players in tow. He was talking to anyone that approached him. Forgot about the scrimmage.

The freshmen will play. We might go 10 deep.
A refreshing departure from the last several years.....Over the last few seasons
we have lost several high potential freshmen, mostly because they were almost
ignored.....Not much development with the staff, and not much p.t....

Konkol&Co. seem to be developing the entire squad.....Unheard of! Unthinkable!
Wonderful!!:)

Reactions: TU 1978
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT