ADVERTISEMENT

Scheduling

Weatherdemon

Sep 11, 2001
Tulsa, OK
Why do we struggle to get home and home with decent OOC teams?

From Twitter:
North Texas adds home/home series w/Baylor (2028 at Baylor, 2029 at UNT); & Tulane (2028 at Tulane, 2029 at UNT)

At this pount I will be dead or in a nursing home before we get a home game with an ooc opponenent like that.

Im so depressed.

Because what Tulsa really needs to do is additional things tying this program to Baylor. I could care less if we play North Texas.

Baylor signs that deal because others aren’t knocking on their door right now, it’s a chance to show the program to recruits without paying for them to visit, and the Dallas Alumni get a game close by. We also don’t know if those games are TV related and Thursday night at 9pm CST. We don’t have any of those or don’t want the hassles.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Because what Tulsa really needs to do is additional things tying this program to Baylor. I could care less if we play North Texas.

Baylor signs that deal because others aren’t knocking on their door right now, it’s a chance to show the program to recruits without paying for them to visit, and the Dallas Alumni get a game close by. We also don’t know if those games are TV related and Thursday night at 9pm CST. We don’t have any of those or don’t want the hassles.

A Thursday game would probably be better attended than the lousy Friday games we’ve been stuck with the last few seasons,

Too many fans have conflicts on Friday nights.

Reactions: HuffyCane
At this pount I will be dead or in a nursing home before we get a home game with an ooc opponenent like that.

Im so depressed.

I'm not sure how old you are, aTufan but we get an ooc opponent like that playing at Skelly in like 8 months.

Last edited:
Jesus,
The point is UNT got a home and home with a B12 team and really, Tulane isn’t bad for them. A lower tier team from a better conference.

I guess I don’t get why we can’t more home and. home games with the likes of a Kansas, KSU, Missouri, Tennessee, etc. Hell, Baylor would be a great draw for us. OU and OSU fans would come to cheer TU and see Baylor get beat.

Jesus,
The point is UNT got a home and home with a B12 team and really, Tulane isn’t bad for them. A lower tier team from a better conference.

I guess I don’t get why we can’t more home and. home games with the likes of a Kansas, KSU, Missouri, Tennessee, etc. Hell, Baylor would be a great draw for us. OU and OSU fans would come to cheer TU and see Baylor get beat.

Uh... empty suit AD?

Wonder how much headwind we're experiencing with Big12 schools from our cancelling the Tech game with very little notice?

I thought OSU plays here next year. I'm not holding my breath that any other Big XII school will ever play here. OSU here is like Baylor playing at UNT - in-state and lots of local alumni.

Seriously... why would any school give us a 1-1 series?

We have shown that we are willing to whore ourselves out to Arkansas every time they have a schedule opening with no expectations of a return game, even when Arkansas sucks and can’t fill their stadium... if I were an AD at a P5 school, I wouldn’t schedule less than a 2-1 and the return game buyout would have to be minimal... we have yet to show that we can stand on our own two feet... why would any program give up the million dollar payday that comes from kicking our asses at their stadium just to come to Tulsa and be potentially embarrassed in front of 8500 fans and a regional internet broadcast?

We have got to right our own ship. Otherwise we will be lucky to get home games from FCS teams...

Reactions: TU Man
I thought OSU plays here next year. I'm not holding my breath that any other Big XII school will ever play here. OSU here is like Baylor playing at UNT - in-state and lots of local alumni.
Except the OSU deal is a 2-1

What kind of home games do we think a program that has won 5 games in two years and is 26-48 in the last 6 years can leverage

Wonder how much headwind we're experiencing with Big12 schools from our cancelling the Tech game with very little notice?

I believe that happened in 2011, so we could play Arkansas in 2012. How many Big XII ADs have been in place that long? We did just play Texas. I don’t think that is a factor today.

Reactions: 4tu2
Baylor, Kansas, KState, and Mizzou really should be easy to schedule a home and home with seeing the other schools they are scheduling.

I think a big issue is our desire for money games to help the budget. Seems we want a million dollar payout game each season.

I don’t know if the problem is we can’t do it, but rather, we need the money, so we choose the big payout games to help prop up the athletic department.

Reactions: 4tu2
I don’t know if the problem is we can’t do it, but rather, we need the money, so we choose the big payout games to help prop up the athletic department.
Speaking of $ for athletic depts. I had a meeting today with Mike Carter and ORU Associate AD Scott Williams. It would cost a school money to drop a sport as the NCAA subsidized scholarships for each sport over the minimum of 14 for D1 status. Also found out that ORU funds the athletic dept. at a D2 level on a D3 model. Mr. Carter did not speak highly of the university president either because of that.

Baylor, Kansas, KState, and Mizzou really should be easy to schedule a home and home with seeing the other schools they are scheduling.

I wonder if KState will change their scheduling philosophy now that Coach Snyder is retired, he just flat out refused to play here.

I believe it's been over 30 years since our last meeting. I do know that we won the last 6 in the series.

This. We have fifty rowers to pay for. We have to collect a certain total amount from road games per year and the regional power 5s other then Arkansas Texas and Oklahoma are unable or unwilling to pay for it. We actually take a short term financial hit playing the home leg of a 2-1. That’s why we are going to Michigan Rapist Vocational School to start the season because we our big OOC opponent this year is at home. OU or whoever takes a million dollar hit or more by playing in our small stadium and loss of concessions/parking. we also scrimped on TV technology during the renovation and the networks lean on them not to come. So the big schools can’t afford to come and it causes problems for them. They used to play at Skelly regularly because it gave local fans a chance to see the Sooners but our low ticket prices were undercutting Tulsa area OU alumni attendance to games in Norman, so they could no longer justify the game.

This is the reason, for the five hundredth time, even if Jesus Christ himself were AD, we can’t afford to not go to OU, etc., we can’t afford to have OSU come here regularly without stacking our schedule with likely losing games like BB’s first year, and OU can’t afford to come here AND can’t afford to not invite schools like us into 1 offs, especially when they want the flexibility to schedule a marquee game in a neutral site against a ranked opponent with little notice for TV.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
This. We have fifty rowers to pay for. We have to collect a certain total amount from road games per year and the regional power 5s other then Arkansas Texas and Oklahoma are unable or unwilling to pay for it. We actually take a short term financial hit playing the home leg of a 2-1. That’s why we are going to Michigan Rapist Vocational School to start the season because we our big OOC opponent this year is at home. OU or whoever takes a million dollar hit or more by playing in our small stadium and loss of concessions/parking. we also scrimped on TV technology during the renovation and the networks lean on them not to come. So the big schools can’t afford to come and it causes problems for them. They used to play at Skelly regularly because it gave local fans a chance to see the Sooners but our low ticket prices were undercutting Tulsa area OU alumni attendance to games in Norman, so they could no longer justify the game.

This is the reason, for the five hundredth time, even if Jesus Christ himself were AD, we can’t afford to not go to OU, etc., we can’t afford to have OSU come here regularly without stacking our schedule with likely losing games like BB’s first year, and OU can’t afford to come here AND can’t afford to not invite schools like us into 1 offs, especially when they want the flexibility to schedule a marquee game in a neutral site against a ranked opponent with little notice for TV.
Very well said, this basically sums it up. I, a well as most, get it though it doesn't take the sting away. Playing the hogs though has got to be the Shizziest thing we can possibly do to our fan base. I'd rather we play anywhere but there.

Very well said, this basically sums it up. I, a well as most, get it though it doesn't take the sting away. Playing the hogs though has got to be the Shizziest thing we can possibly do to our fan base. I'd rather we play anywhere but there.
Totally agree. I can’t stand the Longhorns but that game paid well, made sense from a recruiting strategy standpoint and we almost won the mfer. I hope we go back though I doubt they’d have us. I wouldn’t mind a 3-0 deal spread out over ten years.

Marketing.

There are three weekend at the texas st fair in dallas. Ou plays texas one week, prarie view plays grambling on another.

How about our ad get creative and schedule us vs someone like olemiss, tcu, baylor, kst on the third one.

Easy road trip for us, lot of revunue for dallas.

Marketing.

There are three weekend at the texas st fair in dallas. Ou plays texas one week, prarie view plays grambling on another.

How about our ad get creative and schedule us vs someone like olemiss, tcu, baylor, kst on the third one.

Easy road trip for us, lot of revunue for dallas.
I’ve always wondered why TCU and SMU don’t play that weekend. Or Ark/A&M

Castiglione said they wanted to play here again in a recent interview. I could do without it though.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
Castiglione said they wanted to play here again in a recent interview. I could do without it though.
It’s a productive relationship if it includes home and home and BOK in basketball along with a football coach who encouraged local kids he couldn’t take to go to TU as Stoops did more than once.

Reactions: drboobay
He did not mention basketball and I can see how that would make for a more palatable deal.

As for money games, I prefer the Big 10. Or SEC other than Arkansas.

20 or 25 years ago we played a couple of games with iowa and minnesota. I dont remember if we got them to come to tulsa.

We did a 2-1 with MN during the Kragthorpe era. We beat Iowa in the early 90’s at home and they would’nt play us if we paid them a million. After the comments by Coach Fry after the game about the conditions at Skelly (and he was right but should have kept his mouth shut) there’s a few older fans and maybe a few boosters who would be upset about renewing that relationship.

We oughta make good with Texas Tech tho.

Iowa started as a 2 for 1 with this first 2 on the road. After those 2 games, the Hawkeyes threatened to cancel the return visit unless we added another game up there. So it ended up as a 3 for 1 but we did win the home game.

We don’t need to play them again.

We did a 2-1 with MN during the Kragthorpe era. We beat Iowa in the early 90’s at home and they would’nt play us if we paid them a million. After the comments by Coach Fry after the game about the conditions at Skelly (and he was right but should have kept his mouth shut) there’s a few older fans and maybe a few boosters who would be upset about renewing that relationship.

We oughta make good with Texas Tech tho.

I thought Minny was a home and home. I don’t recall going there twice.

He did not mention basketball and I can see how that would make for a more palatable deal.

As for money games, I prefer the Big 10. Or SEC other than Arkansas.

I like Ark just because it gives me another chance to see my team play in person, This years crowd was mostly player’s families though.

I can’t go to Michigan St on a Friday.

I thought Minny was a home and home. I don’t recall going there twice.
You guys know this stuff better than I but my recollection was they bought out the second trip up there for a pretty small amount once Graham and Gus lit up the scoreboard in 2007 and they got a little skeert.

There’s no reason why BYU and Duke couldn’t be a 1-1 if they want a fair fight.

I like Ark just because it gives me another chance to see my team play in person, This years crowd was mostly player’s families though.

I can’t go to Michigan St on a Friday.
Been to too many games in Fayetnam through the years and it's always a great opportunity to get screwed in new and inventive ways. I hope to have a good long lifetime and likewise never see another game played there in my lifetime.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT