ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Gendron

Mar 9, 2019
Anyone know anything about his basketball abilities? Since he is switching sports, does he still have to sit out a year?

I'm guessing he'll be a walk on anyway.... it wouldn't really matter if he "sits" or not.

That’s actually a good question. It’s been said he will be a preferred walk on but with some of the weak teams on our OOC schedule walk ones could see some court time. I would bet he doesn’t need to sit since he switched sports.

That’s actually a good question. It’s been said he will be a preferred walk on but with some of the weak teams on our OOC schedule walk ones could see some court time. I would bet he doesn’t need to sit since he switched sports.
With he and George, you have the league's top two walk-ons.

I'm guessing he'll be a walk on anyway.... it wouldn't really matter if he "sits" or not.
The scholarship vs walk-on argument is not really the litmus test as to whether or not he's eligible to play...see Baker Mayfield. The first part will be whether or not he played basketball at OSU or was a member of their team, whether or not he played in a game. If the answer is no, he is immediately eligible at TU. If the answer is yes, then the question asked becomes was he recruited as a basketball player and given preferred walk-on status? If the answer is no, he could be immediately eligible. Everything I have read says he just played baseball so it shouldn't be an issue.

Wasn't Johnny a walk-on his 1st year and then put on scholarship after that?

The scholarship vs walk-on argument is not really the litmus test as to whether or not he's eligible to play...see Baker Mayfield. The first part will be whether or not he played basketball at OSU or was a member of their team, whether or not he played in a game. If the answer is no, he is immediately eligible at TU. If the answer is yes, then the question asked becomes was he recruited as a basketball player and given preferred walk-on status? If the answer is no, he could be immediately eligible. Everything I have read says he just played baseball so it shouldn't be an issue.

Wasn't Johnny a walk-on his 1st year and then put on scholarship after that?

Wait is this Johnny's son?

I'm trying to catch up after a crazy month. Johnny was one of my favorite. Still remember the dunk he had against the national blocked shot leader on San Jose. Great attitude, work ethic, team oriented, those things tend to get passed on in families.

If Johnny had hit a few more free throws up in KC that year, we probably would have beat Clemson even though Shea got screwed over by the refs.

Reactions: TU4ever2
He was a good player. Gets overlooked a lot. Those teams had so much talent that I guess that can happen but man, it’s crazy to think about some of the names that don’t get mentioned years later.

Reactions: Larry Lewis
He was a good player. Gets overlooked a lot. Those teams had so much talent that I guess that can happen but man, it’s crazy to think about some of the names that don’t get mentioned years later.
Johnny was one of those gritty glue guys that push teams over the top. And because of his experience in pro baseball, I think he carried that mindset into his basketball career at TU and had some influence over the locker room in that way (a lot like Shannon Carter did in football).

Reactions: TU4ever2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT