ADVERTISEMENT

RPI down to 46 after win over Memphis.

TulsaEye

I.T.S. Senior
Jul 29, 2004
At this rate Tulsa will definitely have to win the AAC Tourny to get to the Big Dance. Surprising! Tulsa's next four games will continue to be RPI killers also. Tulsa could be up to #58 or 59 by the time we play SMU. Wow.
This post was edited on 1/25 8:09 PM by TulsaEye

Re: RPI down to 48 after win over Memphis.

Our non-con has been on quite the losing streak... losing games they're favored in and picking up zero upsets. We'd likely be top 25 rpi if they had continued winning at the same clip as the rest of the season. It's got to start to even out eventually.

That makes no sense. The RPI is rigged.

It's not. Houston continues to plummet like a gangster with his feet bound and thrown into Corpis Christi Bay. We haven't played SMU or Tulane yet so they don't help/hurt. And OkState, OU continue to get hammered in Big XII play (except last night but Texas Tech is awful). Mizzou St lost to Wichita St so that's a wash for us. ORU is not going to help our RPI if they lose to teams like Denver. UCONN's free fall isn't helping, Memphis being bad isn't helping and we simply haven't played the other top 2 RPI teams in the AAC. yet. At the end winning games is the most important thing. If we win the next 4 which there is no reason to believe we won't (ECU, Tulane, USF, Houston) we will be 17-5 heading into the game vs. SMU. Can anyone tell me after the loss to SEOSU that they thought we'd be anywhere close to 17-5 at that pt PLUS be 10-0 in the AAC at the same time?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Stay calm. LOTS of bb to play.... just keep winning. AAC sends 3. No issue. Tulsa needs to be in the top 2 come tourney time to guarantee a spot. Just keep winning.

Analyzing and getting worked up about RPIs at this point in the season is ridiculous. Take every game as they come - If we are fortunately to convincingly win the regular season conference title, we'll be in regardless of the RPI (unless we lay a complete turd in the conference tournament).

Originally posted by mvccane:

Analyzing and getting worked up about RPIs at this point in the season is ridiculous. Take every game as they come - If we are fortunately to convincingly win the regular season conference title, we'll be in regardless of the RPI (unless we lay a complete turd in the conference tournament).
+1. Just keep winning. Listening to post-game last night, Rick says the first thing the team says after Haith is finished is "On to..." sort of taking up the NE Patriots mantra (no delfated balls jokes please) of just play the next one to win. It seems that after the loss to SEOSU this team has taken on a new personality and learned how to focus and play every possession as it is the most important in the game. For the most part, and you are seeing it in the low TO numbers we are having, everyone is playing with that focus and urgency. This same group took possessions "off" last year.

Haith has them tuned into something good right now.

If this time had been playing like this at beginning of year and beaten oru and seosu would we be ranked?

Originally posted by TulsaEye:
Tulsa's next four games will continue to be RPI killers also.
No, because 3 of those 4 games are on the road.

End of the season RPI is the only one that really matters and our expected end of the year RPI has steadily climbed since the OU loss to a season high of 43.3

RPI in the 40s is in or out on a beauty test... Hot, or not?

When was the last time you were nervous on selection Sunday?

I'd like to see us in the low 30's to really have a secure feeling for an at large... We could certainly do that with multiple games remaining against the upper RPI teams of the league. Win at home vs cincy and one of two vs SMU and we should be golden... Pardon the pun

Just keep winning. I ain't even worried bro.

Loving how the new conference forces the national media to talk about us in positive terms, something that hasn't happened this much in, oh, EVER.

Just relax and enjoy the ride, this team will take care of itself.

No way our conference sends three at this point

We need to win this league. The winner of this league will get in. We are in prime position to get it done. So let's just keep winning.

Tulsa, SMU, Cincy all have chances to get into the tournament.

Originally posted by TU Man:
No way our conference sends three at this point
I'll take that bet.

We can send 3 but it might take the third place team winning the tourny. We are going to need to be inside the top 30 in RPI to feel safe. That SEOSU loss is killer.
I defer to Ctt but our resume may look a lot like some of the top 40 RPI teams that have stayed home over the last 15 years.

Still, how fun to even be in the position to have this discussion!

Ash

If we can't beat Cincinnati and SMU on our home floor, I'm fine with getting left home. Those are huge games. Just keep winning

Originally posted by ashVID:
That SEOSU loss is killer.
I defer to Ctt but our resume may look a lot like some of the top 40 RPI teams that have stayed home over the last 15 years.
Oh, I agree with that. I just think Cinci and SMU will make it regardless. Then it boils down to whether Tulsa continues this run (which will require 14-4 at minimum) or if UConn wins the tournament.

It doesn't figure into the RPI, but you are right, the committee will notice it. The good news is that it was in December and lots of people had dumb December losses. If we don't have any bad losses from now on, they may discount it. as an outlier.

Originally posted by TUMe:
It doesn't figure into the RPI, but you are right, the committee will notice it. The good news is that it was in December and lots of people had dumb December losses. If we don't have any bad losses from now on, they may discount it. as an outlier.
Once again, just keep winning. The more we win, the more it becomes obvious that it was a fluky outlier.

Just win, don't worry about the rest. Hell, we've got freaking MEDIA ATTENTION at TU. It's surreal.

Originally posted by TUMe:
Especially with the absence of our coach prior to that game

as of right now Live-RPI has TU at 45, just a drop of 3 spots. I am kind of suprised TU did not fall further after playing ECU, but other factors must have gone in TU's favor today.

TX

Live-RPI

It being a road game helped. Our opponents continue to lose winnable games though.

Again I say, how great is to be having this discussion? When is the last time we were able to have it in January?

Ash

Originally posted by ctt8410:

Oh, I agree with that. I just think Cinci and SMU will make it regardless. Then it boils down to whether Tulsa continues this run (which will require 14-4 at minimum) or if UConn wins the tournament.
I left out the possibility of Temple winning 6 straight. A 4-2 finish gets them in.

SMU and Cinci are both safe.

TU has work to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT