ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Dickson

Oh.. but it would give me so much posting material...😁
It would be more negative posting material. TU’s given you & the rest of us more than enough negative posting material over the last decade. We really need an energetic AD who can generate positive posting material!

Reactions: TULSARISING
It would be more negative posting material. TU’s given you & the rest of us more than enough negative posting material over the last decade. We really need an energetic AD who can generate positive posting material!
I agree.. but, does our track record indicate otherwise? Other than Cunningham have we hired anything other than a cheap hire, a DEI hire, or a retread?
I have little confidence that we will hire a truly gifted, dynamic, experienced candidate... i hope I am wrong.

I agree.. but, does our track record indicate otherwise? Other than Cunningham have we hired anything other than a cheap hire, a DEI hire, or a retread?
I have little confidence that we will hire a truly gifted, dynamic, experienced candidate... i hope I am wrong.
Can’t argue with that. I would be excited if we hired someone truly gifted & dynamic, even if they’re a little light on experience!

Reactions: noble cane
We need someone with good contacts to schedule some decent non conference games pretty soon. We have 2 openings in 2025 that still need to be filled.

Reactions: noble cane
I haven't tracked how Brad has done on hiring, anybody have any thoughts? Has he hired good people? He seems like he'd be willing to consider out of the box candidates (he was one himself). Has that happened? I think his hiring style is more relevant for what to expect than who we hired 30 years ago.

I haven't tracked how Brad has done on hiring, anybody have any thoughts? Has he hired good people? He seems like he'd be willing to consider out of the box candidates (he was one himself). Has that happened? I think his hiring style is more relevant for what to expect than who we hired 30 years ago.
Thats the wild card... but the Board still probably has to weigh on.. with luck he and Dickson already have a successor in mind

The Board has delegated management of the athletic department to the President. This is different than most public universities, including OU and OSU. It’s more of an inform situation rather than a consent. Relevant parties will provide input and feedback, I’m sure.

Don't come screaming and yelling at me yet.......I know Dickson helped tremendously as far as making sports a fun thing to attend again. He put a lot of effort into the atmosphere. With that said, in sports we usually do very well in. Women's tennis, Men's tennis, women's golf, softball, rowing, cross country, men's soccer....we won only 1 championship this year. Now a couple are still going and waiting to see. However, I think I have seen a backslide on Olympic sports since he has been here and basketball and football are on the rise but still not there. I'm not saying he isn't a good AD but is he as good as everyone tauts him to be? This is an honest question. Just trying to understand because on paper it looks like Olympics actually took a nose dive.

Reactions: t-townpod
No program remaining in the conference has won more championships in the last five years. We dominate in everything except football and basketball. And it isn’t close.

Which is part of the problem honestly, we put the least in the pot, arguably, and whip everyone’s a$$. Not exactly neighborly.

No program remaining in the conference has won more championships in the last five years. We dominate in everything except football and basketball. And it isn’t close.

Which is part of the problem honestly, we put the least in the pot, arguably, and whip everyone’s a$$. Not exactly neighborly.
100%. No fun to get your ass kicked in the non revenue sports by a school who has contributed very little of late to the revenue pie.

Reactions: HuffyCane
No program remaining in the conference has won more championships in the last five years.
LOL, but otherwise, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln? 133 of 206 championships since the beginning of the conference are in schools that are no longer in the conference.

The page below is pretty interesting. We've won 26 (actually 27 I think) championships, of which 15 are in cross-country. Since 2018, we've won 11 championships, 9 in cross-country, 1 in women's golf and 1 in men's soccer.

It's interesting that cross-country is our crown jewel sport since it almost got us the death penalty back in the day.

Note the table at the top of the page seems to be wrong, they show us with 2 championships in 2020 but the table of sports shows 3 (M & W X-C and women's golf). Dumba$$es.

So we dominated 1 M sport & are dominant in 1 W sport and have 11 OTHER championships. Houston was dominant in 1 W sport and 2 M & had 8 more championships than us.(Shocker because they were dominant in 3 sports instead of 2, and spent a bunch more money.) UCF was fairly dominant in 2 w sports and had 29 championships in the time we were in the league. Uconn was dominant in 1 W sport and Cincinatti wasn't dominant in any sport and they both performed poorly for the $ in championships.

SMU spent as much or more than Houston, UCF, & Cincinatti. For all that money SMU spent, they got a little bit better return on their money across sports, because they weren't dominant in any sport, but placed 2nd or 3rd in nearly half of the sports in league championships.(and they likely weren't competing in at least half of the sports in which they didn't place 2nd or 3rd) They still got 1 less championship than us though.

As you said, we got more than our money's worth out of the money spent comparatively to the other leaders, Tulsa/26.(Houston/34, UCF/29, SMU/25) I thought I'd restate it in more equitable terms than the peanut gallery that thinks they are Socrates.

Last edited:
We far outdistance everybody still in the league, but USF & Wichita St are closest. We haven't had enough time to see how the add ons will do yet.

XC M/ 9
XC W/ 6
Soccer M/ 4
Softball W/ 3 (coach left)
Tennis W/ 3
Golf W/ 1

We in the sports that matter the least.

How is that good in any way?
It’s not good for a lot of our conference mates. Imagine going into a job interview and having to explain how you went 0-5 against Tulsa but your next job should be in the SEC. Plenty of people at UCF and Houston are relieved that they will only have to deal with losing to OSU now and can actually get a job in the Big 2 soon maybe.

We in the sports that matter the least.

How is that good in any way?
Non-Olympic sports have been self sustaining the last couple of years as I understand it. We recruit good kids that want to come to a school that lets them compete. And they pay to do it. Winning ups our enrollment numbers and we bank a not insignificant sum.

So we dominated 1 M sport & are dominant in 1 W sport and have 11 OTHER championships. Houston was dominant in 1 W sports and 2 M & had 8 more championships than us.(Shocker because they were dominant in 3 sports instead of 2, and spent a bunch more money.) UCF was fairly dominant in 2 w sport and had 29 championships in the time we were in the league. Uconn was dominant in 1 W sport and Cincinatti wasn't dominant in any sport and they both performed poorly for the $ in championships.

SMU spent as much or more than Houston, UCF, & Cincinatti. For all that money SMU spent, they got a little bit better return on their money across sports, because they weren't dominant in any sport, but placed 2nd or 3rd in nearly half of the sports in league championships.(and they likely weren't competing in at least half of the sports in which they didn't place 2nd or 3rd) They still got 1 less championship than us though.

As you said, we got more than our money's worth out of the money spent comparatively to the other leaders, Tulsa/26.(Houston/34, UCF/29, SMU/25) I thought I'd restate it in more equitable terms than the peanut gallery that thinks they are Socrates.
We are in the Top 25 in overall championships in the FBS in the last five years iirc. I haven’t looked lately.

It’s not good for a lot of our conference mates. Imagine going into a job interview and having to explain how you went 0-5 against Tulsa but your next job should be in the SEC. Plenty of people at UCF and Houston are relieved that they will only have to deal with losing to OSU now and can actually get a job in the Big 2 soon maybe.
Pretty sure the SEC doesn’t give a damn how a school did in cross country. Football rules followed by basketball. “Hey Oklahoma, I know you’re a football power but you haven’t won a cross country conference championship in the last ten years so go find a new conference.

Reactions: drboobay
Pretty sure the SEC doesn’t give a damn how a school did in cross country. Football rules followed by basketball. “Hey Oklahoma, I know you’re a football power but you haven’t won a cross country conference championship in the last ten years so go find a new conference.
I thought his point was it was hard for the coaches in sports where we beat them, so how is the UCF XC coach supposed to go to Tennessee and say they should hire him/her as their XC coach?

Let's be honest, XC is a lot more interesting than golf, tennis, rowing, track and field (unless someone javelins someone) and, yeah I'm gonna say it, soccer.
I had a kid who ran XC. Might be the worst spectator sport in existence. Depending on the course you see them in the beginning and maybe once or twice over the entire race and at the end. It’s brutal.

I thought his point was it was hard for the coaches in sports where we beat them, so how is the UCF XC coach supposed to go to Tennessee and say they should hire him/her as their XC coach?
Might have misread the post. In many schools XC is a low cost sport which get very little attention. The focus in on football and basketballs. Ironic the two schools from which I graduated both have excellent XC squads.

Last edited:
I was referring to individual coaches attempting to leave schools like Houston three years ago, or UCF, and having to explain losing records to us when attempting to leave Houston for an SEC job like Arkansas.

Where the conversation started about championships.

I thought we were mostly focusing on Olympic sports. Everybody knows football runs things, basketball is secondary, and Olympic sports follows all that.

I had a kid who ran XC. Might be the worst spectator sport in existence. Depending on the course you see them in the beginning and maybe once or twice over the entire race and at the end. It’s brutal.
LOL, it's like anything else, if the people you're watching aren't very good, it isn't much fun to watch. The good news is that it's over quickly, even for the slow kids. The fast kids you don't have time to go to a place mid course and get back for the finish unless the course is set up very thoughtfully. And the kids are tough as nails, not prima donnas like golf and tennis. And not a single flop on the course...

I wonder if they can name a replacement AD and replace Rick sooner especially if he is given one of those “consulting” jobs where nothing is required for several months after retirement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT