ADVERTISEMENT

Red shirt pulled for President

Ward is overrated. He hasn't run into a fight team that can hold the pocket and make home pass consistently. He will eventually.

I don't think there's much chance of President starting in place of Dane. I wouldn't necessarily mind it, because it would throw the Tigers preparation off quite dramatically, but Dane knows the offense better and can make decent throws every 1 out of 3 games. Maybe he's due for a good game this week? I would like to see a jet sweep, or a run reverse at SOME point this season. Use east and west runs to keep defenses off-balance instead of stacking the box and blitzing the A gap.

What happened? First couple of game Dane throws for 300+ and the offence is sailing; now the offence is flat.

Ward overrated? Don't know what you're smoking...

Agree w TulsaGrad07, we only seem to run up the middle...never on the edges

Lucas was a huge loss, and other than brewer/warren we're lacking play makers with quickness...have tall lanky receivers aplenty. May have to wait for someone in our 16' recruiting class to fill that void. Thought Louie could, but he has regressed. May be a confidence issue, sophomore slump, or some other issue we're not aware of.

Yeah, I was finished with the Wildcat after running it 4 times in a row to lose to Arkansas.

And it was right in front of us Tulsa fans that made the trip to Feyettnam.

"After the first three times, my old boss will never expect the wildcat on 4th down!" - Gus, learning on the job at Tulsa.

But that does remind me, the program had frikken swagger back then. We went to Arkansas in droves expecting to win. And we should have won.

That game still bothers me.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I'd rather a version of Greg Ward Jr. myself. I mean, he's a true freshman. I'm ok with him taking more than five minutes of real game action to fine-tune his arsenal.

Or maybe even see what he can do in the middle of the field before relegating him to inside the 20.
The middle part of the field would also open things up for him as the defense would be more spread out. Inside the 20 the defense can stay more compact as there is only so much space to defend behind them. President has every capability of becoming more like Colin Kapernick (who was damn good at the college level).

Are we that predictable?
Somewhat. We don't run the edges but anyone who has ever watched Baylor (and even Houston before that) knows that when they ran the edges it was the QB keeping it on the read option. The RBs almost never ran the edge by play design, but only when they bounced it outside. Langer has the vision to do it, but not the speed. Warren has the speed but I'm not sure he sees the field like he needs to just yet.

The interesting thing is I have seen a "new" play in each game so far. Something we haven't run, at least that I can recall, before, and certainly not more than once a game. At some point, the formation stays the same but the play options out of it and if Dane is given freedom to change the play at the line, will start paying off. They may know all the x's and o's of the playbook, but learning a system is beyond just knowing where people are supposed to go. Dane will start to see 7-10 options from a single formation based on the look the D gives and he can call the route tree at the line. Right now when we line up and don't immediately snap the ball, that call is coming from the sideline.

About throwing the ball to the middle of the field. Is that a confidence thing with the coaches, in that they don't trust Dane accuracy or decision making? It seems that the deep routes always go to the sideline and errors toward throwing it out of bounds. I can't recall exactly how many completions were out of bounds but its a bunch.

Reactions: XOut88
About throwing the ball to the middle of the field. Is that a confidence thing with the coaches, in that they don't trust Dane accuracy or decision making? It seems that the deep routes always go to the sideline and errors toward throwing it out of bounds. I can't recall exactly how many completions were out of bounds but its a bunch.
That's a football thing. You don't see a ton of completions 10 yards down field and in between the hashes just because it brings too many defenders into the play. If you spread the field and throw to one side, you effectively eliminate 1/2 the defense from the play as long as you block the line. The other option is to have a Gronkowski running seam routes through the middle and then praying for the safety's well being. Even under Malzahn, Paul Smith and David Johnson weren't chucking it down the middle too much unless it was a deep post or seam on the hash.

I'd like to see us integrate some play action rollouts somehow on the downs after long gains (we usually go into a quick handoff off left tackle hoping to catch the D off guard.) Got to always keep the defense guessing about run or pass. If they can start interpreting when you're going to run you have a real problem.

Ward overrated? Don't know what you're smoking...

Agree w TulsaGrad07, we only seem to run up the middle...never on the edges

Lucas was a huge loss, and other than brewer/warren we're lacking play makers with quickness...have tall lanky receivers aplenty. May have to wait for someone in our 16' recruiting class to fill that void. Thought Louie could, but he has regressed. May be a confidence issue, sophomore slump, or some other issue we're not aware of.

How has Louie regressed ? I don't recall him playing WR at all this season. If Louie actually plays some offensive series at WR, & plays poorly, then I'll agree he has regressed.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Reason I say he's regressed is based off the only plays we've seen from him this year: muffed punt return at OU, runs into own players on kickoffs returns, etc. I agree that he hasn't had any opportunities at receiver...and I don't understand why. Either Monty simply thinks we have better options at WR or something else going on

My biggest dissapointment this year in new Head Coach Montgomery has been his reluctance to play Louie.

GO TU!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT