ADVERTISEMENT

Red shirt pulled for President

Time to yank Dane and play him the rest of the season. Start developing him for the future. No sense in him sitting behind Dane now. Dane sucks.

I was really surpirsed Monty stuck with him the entire game. You noticed ECU switched QBs in the first quarter when their first choice was floundering. Why can't we get a coach with the damn BALLS to yank a guy when he's having an off-day?

Reactions: XOut88
I was really surpirsed Monty stuck with him the entire game. You noticed ECU switched QBs in the first quarter when their first choice was floundering. Why can't we get a coach with the damn BALLS to yank a guy when he's having an off-day?

ECU runs a 2 QB system, 1 running QB, 1 passing QB. It wasn't a one game decision.

As far as President, I think he may be our redzone QB. We have struggled in the redzone all season.

Reactions: TU_BLA and XOut88
What a complete waste of a RS season. Now that it's done and we know he has wheels, put him in a slot and let's have a catch/run/reverse/pass threat on the edges.

I was a little disappointed President didn't duck the defender when his feet left the ground to punch it on the outside and in to the end zone.

I'm still waiting to see a fake FG of PAT. Take advantage of the holder having an arm.

The statement was made for change. I will be surprised if it doesn't happen next week. Defense played decent. The use of backs is perplexing. No flair passes or sweep runs or pitches outside. Too many runs against a wall, again!?

President is not there yet, or he wouldn't have been redshirting. I imagine we will have a two quarterback system until President shows he is ready. Getting anticipatory that he will be the starter next week is a fools errand. Expecting him to take all the snaps is without question a fools anticipation.(For two reasons, I'll let u figure out what the reasons are.)

I think we may start seeing a two QB rotation from here on. There are times when we have to have a better runner and more aggressive player behind center, but we still need that "money throw" as well. I may be wrong, but I think we have a decent thrower in Dane who can't run a lick and a decent/good runner in Chad that needs a lot of work on his throws. It is alarming to see the defense give us the QB zone read keeper and just hand it off.

I was embarrassed for DE when the TV camera's caught him trying to kick at and trip the ECU kid that ran the interception back. Didn't look good! Middle schoolish.

[QUOTE="I was embarrassed for DE when the TV camera's caught him trying to kick at and trip the ECU kid that ran the interception back. Didn't look good! Middle schoolish.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you're talking about. He was feigning an attempt and hoping the guy behind him would risk having to take possible contact to stop the guy. Figure four slide underneath the guy while ducking your head... I wanted to kick Dane in the jockstrap to see if he had the required anatomy to wear one after a play like that.

President is not there yet, or he wouldn't have been redshirting. I imagine we will have a two quarterback system until President shows he is ready. Getting anticipatory that he will be the starter next week is a fools errand. Expecting him to take all the snaps is without question a fools anticipation.(For two reasons, I'll let u figure out what the reasons are.)

If there was any chance President would be the starting qb next week, they would have let him take the last two meaningless series today.

Reactions: RealTUTypical
Didn't President have a minor surgery earlier this season also? That may have been some of the reason we didn't see him earlier. It looks like we could see more of him... As long as he can stay healthy, his ability to widen the running game will be invaluable.

Dane should be ashamed of himself for not making the tackle on that interception. He threw the pick then tried to slide tackle the EC DB instead of knocking his block off or at least wrapping him up and pushing him out of bounds.

That one play on our first drive killed the momentum and completely took the wind out of our sails for the rest of the game.

Reactions: TU 1978
Dane's "effort" to tackle the DB was Not Top 10 material, maybe even C'Mon Man. Remember when he tapped Geneo Grissom on the head when he picked him off last year against OU and housed it

Per Kelly Hines, President was still recovering from an injury but is now 100%.

I don't think there's any chance he's made starter this season, I do think he sees more playing time especially on running downs.

Well at least it won't be predictable when he's in the lineup...

My guess is he'll only be in during running situations and will run zone read and the option. It'll force the defense to make more decisions than just expecting a hand off. I would like to see him get a few passing attempts in the red zone, hopefully the staff has confidence in him and puts him in that position.

Sort of like bringing in AJ Whitmore to take some snaps but more talented.

Sort of like bringing in Shevodrick Beaver.... cause that worked so well.

Did they use him in any other package than that "wildcat" package that Graham came up with? I don't recall that kid taking more than a handful of snaps when he was at Tulsa, but he was given a 4 star rating I think before coming to TU. In any event, you're right, he didn't work out well

Did they use him in any other package than that "wildcat" package that Graham came up with? I don't recall that kid taking more than a handful of snaps when he was at Tulsa, but he was given a 4 star rating I think before coming to TU. In any event, you're right, he didn't work out well

You're right Beaver didn't work out well. However, this is an apples/oranges comparison the only similarity is Beaver and President are from Texas and 4-star recruits. The difference here is President ran essentially the same offense we run now in HS. Also, Beaver became home sick after his first semester in Tulsa and didn't want to be here, I have not heard any indication of that to be the case for President.

One giant positive - we finally killed the damn wildcat.

Oh, my god. If we ran the wildcat as a run up the middle without EVER using the formation to do anything else, I was going to vomit. Instant headache thinking about it.

You're right Beaver didn't work out well. However, this is an apples/oranges comparison the only similarity is Beaver and President are from Texas and 4-star recruits. The difference here is President ran essentially the same offense we run now in HS. Also, Beaver became home sick after his first semester in Tulsa and didn't want to be here, I have not heard any indication of that to be the case for President.
My point is, you have to let President have the option to make a simple pass instead of STRICTLY running the read option. Bringing in a player to be one dimensional is setting him up to fail. (I didn't get to watch the game... just followed game tracker... so I guess President did have one pass attempt)

I just remember the people in the box laughing every time Beaver came in. It was like giving the other team a free defensive stop.

Reactions: XOut88
He "President" did have the option to make a short pass and he threw it to the lineman directly in between him and the receiver. The receiver who happened to be standing in the end zone by himself. That was a lack of experience throw. Don't expect too much too early from El Presidente. Give it some time...

One giant positive - we finally killed the damn wildcat.

Oh, my god. If we ran the wildcat as a run up the middle without EVER using the formation to do anything else, I was going to vomit. Instant headache thinking about it.

Yeah, I was finished with the Wildcat after running it 4 times in a row to lose to Arkansas.

Reactions: sonofbird
That's understandable. President's pass wasn't great, I think it was nerves. But he seemed to be good at the read and option. That, imo, differentiates him from Beaver. You're right though when Beaver came in before defenses could just load the box with no fear of a pass. I also hope that's not what happens with President.

I thought President looked great, kid has wheels. If the kid can make the pass work for him too, what a weapon he is going to make.

As Kelly Hines states in this morning's TW, maybe Chad President will become Tulsa's version of J.W Walsh at OSU, the QB that comes in when the team enters the red zone. I like the idea, Tulsa has been less than stellar inside the 20 this season, too much wood left on the field, we need a running QB to put pressure on the cornerbacks and safeties to abandon their coverage to stop President from running it down their throat.

I'd rather a version of Greg Ward Jr. myself. I mean, he's a true freshman. I'm ok with him taking more than five minutes of real game action to fine-tune his arsenal.

Or maybe even see what he can do in the middle of the field before relegating him to inside the 20.

Reactions: TU_BLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT