ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Expectations

shon46

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Sep 16, 2008
UK
There have been various post about the job Coach Monty has done to get us back on track on the field and to a Bowl game but not very much evaluation talk about the job he is doing "TO DATE" recruiting. I am optimistic and hoping for some last minute Hurricane Magic but if I were to grade him TODAY on this current recruiting class, it would be a D. Curious to get others thoughts!

There have been various post about the job Coach Monty has done to get us back on track on the field and to a Bowl game but not very much evaluation talk about the job he is doing "TO DATE" recruiting. I am optimistic and hoping for some last minute Hurricane Magic but if I were to grade him TODAY on this current recruiting class, it would be a D. Curious to get others thoughts!
Monty is making some good moves in the secondary. We needed two big fast JUCO CB who can start yesterday and we have one CB committed. A few more CBs are scheduled to visit. Im optimistic that two more CBs will commits. We need one more JUCO CB and a high school CB to complete this secondary for next year. We need a solid DT and DE who can pressure the QB and defend against the run. This weekend is an important weekend for the TU defense.
Recruiting for the TU offense is going well. We are landing top WR and good offensive linemen. The TU backfield need improving with size and speed. We trying to land Dae Williams 6'2 230lbs to go with the redshirt RB 6'2 215. The TE situation add another dimension if we land Dae Williams because we could attack in all levels of the field deep, medium, middle field and sideline. Monty is doing well he just need to complete his offseason plans.

I think Monty is doing fine and he is filling the holes that are much needed. Once he fills the gaps, then next year he can start adding depth and even chasing some higher level offensive talent that wants some spotlight....because this offense can certainly let all the skill position players shine.

RJ, I respect your opinion, but you're getting caught up in the number of stars recruits have. If the game was played with * and players could never achieve beyond their scouting grade, Bill Self's 1999-2000 team never gets close to the Final Four. On the flip side, you could fill your roster with 4-5* players and the fans still want you fired because you lose 3-4 games every season (see LSU, A&M). Players still have to play and show they can do it one the field.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
I think Monty is doing fine and he is filling the holes that are much needed. Once he fills the gaps, then next year he can start adding depth and even chasing some higher level offensive talent that wants some spotlight....because this offense can certainly let all the skill position players shine.

RJ, I respect your opinion, but you're getting caught up in the number of stars recruits have. If the game was played with * and players could never achieve beyond their scouting grade, Bill Self's 1999-2000 team never gets close to the Final Four. On the flip side, you could fill your roster with 4-5* players and the fans still want you fired because you lose 3-4 games every season (see LSU, A&M). Players still have to play and show they can do it one the field.

Didn't u mean Shon?

Sorry my brother, the number of stars doesnt interest me. I look at a player skill set and apply it to our needs.

Every school in our conference, except for Houston, appears to be recruiting at similar levels. Success will come down to coaching, evaluation, development, retention, and filling needs. Houston is currently at a different level. It will be interesting to see if they continue long term.

Every school in our conference, except for Houston, appears to be recruiting at similar levels. Success will come down to coaching, evaluation, development, retention, and filling needs. Houston is currently at a different level. It will be interesting to see if they continue long term.
Navy has the lowest recruiting ranking of all AAC schools currently. People think TU has restrictions on who it can recruit and who we can get into school. Yet I bet Navy is a top 3 team in the AAC next year

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Houston is recruiting big because they won big. And they won big with 2 and 3 star players. Their addition of a couple of 4 star recruits will help this year but playing big with what you have is what will get you there. Ward was a 3 star recruit but he only had offers from G5 schools. Herman has taken a team that went 8-5 and 7-5 the two years previous and they went 13-1. A great improvement over Levine but not with better players than Levine has. Winning recruiting battles is important but it helps to have that kind of success. Blankenship didn't capitalize on the success he had in 2012 and our cupboards were bare. It will take a year or two to recover but I think our 6-7 season, with a real shot at 7-6, was good and we will be better next year.

Houston is recruiting big because they won big. And they won big with 2 and 3 star players. Their addition of a couple of 4 star recruits will help this year but playing big with what you have is what will get you there. Ward was a 3 star recruit but he only had offers from G5 schools. Herman has taken a team that went 8-5 and 7-5 the two years previous and they went 13-1. A great improvement over Levine but not with better players than Levine has. Winning recruiting battles is important but it helps to have that kind of success. Blankenship didn't capitalize on the success he had in 2012 and our cupboards were bare. It will take a year or two to recover but I think our 6-7 season, with a real shot at 7-6, was good and we will be better next year.
+1. We did not recruit well after the 2012 Liberty Bowl when there was a real opportunity to capitalize on the success. But we got a lot of character kids

I a
Stars? who else is on who else is offering.
i absolutely think this class remains below a C ranking if we do not get two DL types that can step in right away. I'm also not sold on LB. the addition of the JUCO DB was great and I hope the positive news keeps rolling in as signing day draws closer!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT