ADVERTISEMENT

Putin’s war on history

watu05

I.T.S. Senior
Mar 19, 2021
Examining Putin’s historical claims about Ukraine

Spoiler alert, the article’s length may tax the attention span of some.

A sobering interview between an Indian journalist and a senior professor of internatinal relations at the University of Chicago. A neutral Ukraine is a solution?

Last edited:
The US and NATO were slow and shy about getting help to Ukraine. If there ever is a peace a majority of the energy will have to to rebuilding. This is one place where I have sympathy for the Administration and NATO. Jumping into Nuclear War is something no one wants to do. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Given where we are, my concern is for what are the possible outcomes. Prof Mearsheimer contends that the US/NATO and Putin have to win at all costs. Putin's downside in particular is 'existential' both personally and for the Russian economy. Those of us old enough to remember thae Cuban Missile Crisis likely remember JFK's admonition that one has to allow the opposition a way out. At this point what is Putin's way out? Just going home and admitting defeat isn't one of them.

My guess….Putin will negotiate to annex those eastern two areas much like he did with Crimea with our quiet blessing. Ukraine has already lost. The country is destroyed.

There’s a lot to be said for morale. A country that comes together with supercharged nationalist solidarity and destroys the Russian army might come out of it quicker than you think.

My guess….Putin will negotiate to annex those eastern two areas much like he did with Crimea with our quiet blessing. Ukraine has already lost. The country is destroyed.
Would that be enough of a win for Putin? If that’s the outcome, what will the rest of the Ukraine do? Putin will want neutrality and no heavy arms or NATO in Ukraine.

Would that be enough of a win for Putin? If that’s the outcome, what will the rest of the Ukraine do? Putin will want neutrality and no heavy arms or NATO in Ukraine.
I think you’re likely dead on regarding what Putin would accept.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT