ADVERTISEMENT

Pro-Choice Violence

Protests are exercises of free speech. Of any people in the US who should fundamentally understand and protect that capability, it should be the justices of the SC.

This is the system that they represent working as it was designed. They have to deal with it.

Reactions: watu05
Protests are exercises of free speech. Of any people in the US who should fundamentally understand and protect that capability, it should be the justices of the SC.

This is the system that they represent working as it was designed. They have to deal with it.
Protests are one thing. Giving people money to provide reports of the locations of individuals to a radical group is another. Especially considering the attempt on one of those individuals life.

Protests are one thing. Giving people money to provide reports of the locations of individuals to a radical group is another. Especially considering the attempt on one of those individuals life.
The SC justices have put themselves on a place where they probably need increased security due to their picking an Incredibly unpopular side of an argument that had been settled (judicially) for 60 years. It’s a place of contention that they have only occupied a few times during our national history. It’s similar to the executive’s need for a secret service.

The fact that people are keeping track of their movements (for mundane purposes or malicious purposes) are not inherently illegal nor should they be. The people should be allowed, even outside of working hours, to know where their representatives inhabit.

There is a very, very, very long precedent of Americans protesting those in power outside their residences. Early on, many of the protests weren’t even inherently peaceful, so the fact that we can provide security services to insure peaceful protest is actually a step in the right direction.

The SC justices have put themselves on a place where they probably need increased security due to their picking an Incredibly unpopular side of an argument that had been settled (judicially) for 60 years. It’s a place of contention that they have only occupied a few times during our national history. It’s similar to the executive’s need for a secret service.

The fact that people are keeping track of their movements (for mundane purposes or malicious purposes) are not inherently illegal nor should they be. The people should be allowed, even outside of working hours, to know where their representatives inhabit.

There is a very, very, very long precedent of Americans protesting those in power outside their residences. Early on, many of the protests weren’t even inherently peaceful, so the fact that we can provide security services to insure peaceful protest is actually a step in the right direction.
See how that plays out if a group was offering money for the hour by hour location of Biden after an attempt on his life. Protests are one thing. Trying to kill public figures then offering money for their location is another. Thank God people in this country throughout haven’t shied away from taking an unpopular side of an argument out of fear of violence. We would be living in a very different place.

See how that plays out if a group was offering money for the hour by hour location of Biden after an attempt on his life. Protests are one thing. Trying to kill public figures then offering money for their location is another.
The difference is that the president’s itinerary and his location is generally publicly disclosed at any given time by his office. It’s already publicized. Then again, reporting agencies still pay their reporters to be aware of those schedules. that’s how and why we have a press pool.

The judiciary has begun inserting themselves into public policy differently than previous iterations by the decisions they’ve made in which cases to hear and the decisions they’ve made on those hearings. They are going to be in the limelite. Whether someone wants to pay a private investigator or a beat writer to tail them around SC makes no difference. The only difference in them and the President is the level of security detail they have.

They did the exact opposite and removed themselves from it
By choosing to hear a case that had what they in their congressional testimony labeled as settled precedent?

Interesting way to extract one’s self from the spotlight… to select to reinterpret a topic that was by your own definition settled.

That hasn’t happened very often in US History. Overturning precedent is a big deal no matter which side of the precedent you tend to agree with. Typically we’ve only seen applied to correcting civil rights errancies like Brown V Board.

By constitutional scholars own measurements, there have been 25K opinions and judgements after oral arguments. The court has only reversed islets precedent 145 times. I would say thats an infrequent rate if inserting oneself into the public discourse.

Last edited:
By choosing to hear a case that had what they in their congressional testimony labeled as settled precedent?

Interesting way to extract one’s self from the spotlight… to select to reinterpret a topic that was by your own definition settled.

That hasn’t happened very often in US History. Overturning precedent is a big deal no matter which side of the precedent you tend to agree with. Typically we’ve only seen it applied to correcting civil rights errancies Like in Brown V Board.
1. That is exactly what Kagan did regarding Obergefell
2. I’d love to see an exact quote on that because every dumb lefty I’ve seen whining about that has referenced a quote that‘s been altered to mean the opposite of what it actually means.
3. This was correcting a civil rights errancy. A massive segment of humanity has been denied them through Roe

The difference is that the president’s itinerary and his location is generally publicly disclosed at any given time by his office. It’s already publicized. Then again, reporting agencies still pay their reporters to be aware of those schedules. that’s how and why we have a press pool.

The judiciary has begun inserting themselves into public policy differently than previous iterations by the decisions they’ve made in which cases to hear and the decisions they’ve made on those hearings. They are going to be in the limelite. Whether someone wants to pay a private investigator or a beat writer to tail them around SC makes no difference. The only difference in them and the President is the level of security detail they have.
A better example would have been a member of Congress. Let’s say Pelosi just had an attempt on her life by a person of a particular ideology. Now other people with the same ideology are offering to pay people for real-time information as to her whereabouts. Such actions would raise alarms (as they should).

A better example would have been a member of Congress. Let’s say Pelosi just had an attempt on her life by a person of a particular ideology. Now other people with the same ideology are offering to pay people for real-time information as to her whereabouts. Such actions would raise alarms (as they should).
Sure. They should raise alarm…. But they are not inherently malicious and shouldn’t be considered so. Just like buying a gun isn’t inherently malicious even though someone might use that gun to commit a violent act.

Sure. They should raise alarm…. But they are not inherently malicious and shouldn’t be considered so. Just like buying a gun isn’t inherently malicious even though someone might use that gun to commit a violent act.
I’m not sure where that line is drawn. I do know if a member of a group tried to kill Pelosi and afterwards that same group started paying people to report to them on Pelosi’s whereabouts there would be federal law enforcement at the door of those individuals in a matter of hours. Biden certainly wouldn’t be defending those actions.

I’m not sure where that line is drawn. I do know if a member of a group tried to kill Pelosi and afterwards that same group started paying people to report to them on Pelosi’s whereabouts there would be federal law enforcement at the door of those individuals in a matter of hours. Biden certainly wouldn’t be defending those actions.
You say that the members of the groups are associated. I have not seen any reference to that.

The slogan has always been dumb no matter who is using it, but the fact that it now doesn’t poll well among Dems because it’s associated with choices besides abortion is pretty funny

The guy out in front of SCOTUS with the sign in the background of the MSNBC coverage holding up the sign that said “Fentanyl: My Body My Choice” brought the lulz.

• Haha
Reactions: URedskin54
congress needs to investigate
Aren’t you the one whining about Congress wasting money on investigations? You’re upset about them spending money investigating an ACTUAL attack on Congress vs a theoretical attack on a single SC justice which was stopped by the potential attacker himself. And now you want to investigate people unrelated to the attacker that just so happen to also not like the SC?

Doesn’t seem like a job for Congress as much as it does the FBI.

Aren’t you the one whining about Congress wasting money on investigations? You’re upset about them spending money investigating an ACTUAL attack on Congress vs a theoretical attack on a single SC justice which was stopped by the potential attacker himself. And now you want to investigate people unrelated to the attacker that just so happen to also not like the SC?

Doesn’t seem like a job for Congress as much as it does the FBI.
many in congress have advocated for this illegal activity, this time there is real evidence.

many in congress have advocated for this illegal activity, this time there is real evidence.
Donald Trump advocated for actually attacking congress… an event that was actually carried out. Get your priorities straight.

• Haha
congress needs to pass a constutional bill allowing abortions based on a decision between the individual beliefs and her doctor.

in addition after 2 government paid for abortions your tubes get tied. and if you choose not to abort, and you are on welfare, your benefits for each child claim goes down by half for each chld.

time for people to take responsibility for their own actions, indtead of the government enableing and rewarding bad choices.

From the same people who defended the BLM riots as “mostly peaceful protests”. Gotta love the continued objectiveness of the NYTs. They do not disappoint.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The only people worth listening to about this stuff are the people who were angered by both the summer of riots in 2020 and the capitol riot on Jan 6th. I think we know where WATU and the NYT fall on that

Reactions: drboobay
The only people worth listening to about this stuff are the people who were angered by both the summer of riots in 2020 and the capitol riot on Jan 6th. I think we know where WATU and the NYT fall on that
Only one of those things were attacks on democracy. They are of false equivalence.

It’s like an NPC meme became sentient

One of those things also involved dozens of murders, destroyed livelihoods, over 1 billion dollars in damage, and subsequent non-policing policies that lead to a major spike in the us murder rate.

Jan 6th was terrible for many reasons, not the least of which is that a child-President crying about losing an election managed to convince a bunch of people to attack congress based on absolutely nothing. There wasn’t even a legitimate grievance buried in there. Just a bunch of Republican politicians whipping people into a murderous rage so they could fundraise off of it. There was a legitimate grievance shortly after George Floyd was killed, but beyond that you can find a lot of parallels in the total mindless violence and lunacy that swept major American cities, committed almost entirely by pasty white mutants and with no real connection to any real grievance. All the while Dems fundraised off of it and did their dumb photo ops in African garb

Only one of those things were attacks on democracy. They are of false equivalence.
The article WATU posted was about violence including but not limited to Jan 6. You are correct though….the violence part is a false equivalence. Disturbing there are so few people on this board who are willing to condemn both Jan 6 and the BLM riots.

The article WATU posted was about violence including but not limited to Jan 6. You are correct though….the violence part is a false equivalence. Disturbing there are so few people on this board who are willing to condemn both Jan 6 and the BLM riots.
a bigger threat to our democracy; the party in power, using their position for political party purposes.

Reactions: drboobay
a bigger threat to our democracy; the party in power, using their position for political party purposes.
I agree for the reason stated. Would add that Trump’s rhetoric had a role in the 2020 violence - he stokes division.

Many of those "protests" were shameful though and essentially troublemakers out to sow chaos. The Jan. 6 folks had a very specific purpose.

I agree for the reason stated. Would add that Trump’s rhetoric had a role in the 2020 violence - he stokes division.

Many of those "protests" were shameful though and essentially troublemakers out to sow chaos. The Jan. 6 folks had a very specific purpose.
Just from his past posts, I think Rivalcane(aTUfan) is excusing all actions by Trump, rather than admitting he stokes divisions. He ignores all specific purposes of Jan 6, other than excusing Trump's actions.

Even peaceful protests invite violent responses leading to not so peaceful protests leading to more violence. It has become the new American way. Like the 18 year kid with the AR-15; what was he looking for?

libs want choice. So do I.

I want a choice to wear a mask, or not.
I want a choice to get a covid shot or not.
I want a choice to get my own Health Insurance.
I want a choice to choose my own retirement saving account
trucks want a choice to work for a company, or own their own rig
I want a choice to join a union or not

Political violence is a constant in our society. You can check your American exceptionalism at my door, thank you. Whether it’s the US Army using tanks to disperse violent veterans marching on DC during the Depression or the 82nd Airborne camped out on the North Lawn of the White House behind rings of city buses forming a barrier around the building because armed mobs, fresh from seeing the successful take over of the BIA building by 500 American Indians doing a half million in damage there, began to talk openly about storming the White House, the January 6 event was unique in size and misguided motivation but it was certainly not unique in our history. Indeed Congress routinely prepared for such violence from all sides on dozens of occasions in the months preceding the event. What was unusual was the absence of proper preparation and security for this event. Something we’ve still not seen adequately investigated or explained.

The reality is that the Left has played footsy with anarchistic violent cells for decades. And that ideology frequently co-ops peaceful Democratic causes. Yet, we rarely see Democratic candidates condemn such violence, whether it’s the Weather Underground, Earth First, Occupy, CHOP, BLM, the New Black Panthers, or antifa. Some of them even romanticize it. The average person on the street tunes out their moral outrage on right wing violence as a result. And that’s a shame. Condemning violence committed in lieu of political discourse should be a pre-requisite to continued service in public office.

but what makes the news? radical rigjt wing groups;
proud boys, 6000 strong,
alt right, what ever that is,
nazis 1000strong
kkk if there are any left
white supremist?
. .
I know lot of Republicans and none identify with any of these groups

while many dem identify with the left wing rsdicals.

Last edited:
Condemning violence committed in lieu of political discourse should be a pre-requisite to continued service in public office.
If so Trump's campaign rallies for his first term would have disqualified him. Certainly his Jan 6 speech would disqualify him for ever running again.

If so Trump's campaign rallies for his first term would have disqualified him. Certainly his Jan 6 speech would disqualify him for ever running again.
Same would obviously apply to Obama. Pretty unrealistic standard in todays politics it would appear.

Maybe a discourse not condemning it, but not fomenting it would be more realistic. Either one would be hard to come by though.

the supreme court does not decide whether a law is good or bad. They rule on whether it is Constitutional.
Why did you even quote Aston. The thing you said has nothing to do with that quote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT