ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Republican primary

rabidTU

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Jan 2, 2004
I recently registered as a Republican so I could vote in this election. After it is over, I plan on becoming an independent again. My guess is that Lankford will win a very close race and will be a good senator, but I'm casting my vote for TW who will, if elected, be as excellent in the US senate as he has been as a force in Oklahoma politics.

In their "debate" I was very disappointed in Shannon's responses. He gave the typical Hannity, Limbaugh response to all the questions... blame Obama, blame Congress, trust me I can do better...

At least Lankford tried to answer the questions without giving a standard ultra conservative response to every question.

Originally posted by TU Sepp:
In their "debate" I was very disappointed in Shannon's responses. He gave the typical Hannity, Limbaugh response to all the questions... blame Obama, blame Congress, trust me I can do better...

At least Lankford tried to answer the questions without giving a standard ultra conservative response to every question.
Yes, I thought Lankford was definitely on his game in that debate and IMO he's the one to beat. But I think Shannon could have a very bright future in the party. I really like the idea of a Tea Party person who is either black or hispanic because that cancels out the liberal "spin" that the TP are some group of neo Nazi, KKK fanatics. Most of us know thats completely bogus, but the media pushes that narrative. Shannon is a rising star IMO and will be a major force regardless. I also like that he's gotten the enorsement of JC Watts. I'd love to see both those guys in positions of power in the state. JC would be a great governor IMO. I'm hoping he'll come back home.

This post was edited on 6/20 8:54 PM by rabidTU

Endorsement from JC means very little to me.

JC was taken to court twice from the mother of 2 of his kids (I don't think they were ever married) for failure to pay child support.

This happened while he was making good money playing Canadian football.

JC does a much better job of talking the talk than he does of walking the walk.

An a retired elementary school teacher I have very little sympathy for dead-beat dads that don't pay child support for their children.

I think if you'll check into that, his first child was born when he was in HS, not in the pros. That child was later adopted into the Watts family by an uncle. He then fathered another child out of wedlock and married that mother.

JC is an ordained minister today. But HS kids sometimes make mistakes and have no way of understanding the consequemces of the moment. Unfortunate.

But I think a lot of liberals have ignored Bill Clintons antics (for instance) out of political blindness. He was basically a sexual predetor on the loose when he was an adult as both governor and POTUS. An adult knows better.

If we discount every candidate for their youthful indiscretions, we'd have to impeach 90% of the people in politics if truth be told.

IMO

Endorsement from JC means very little to me.

JC was taken to court twice from the mother of 2 of his kids (I don't think they were ever married) for failure to pay child support.

This happened while he was making good money playing Canadian football.

JC does a much better job of talking the talk than he does of walking the walk.

An a retired elementary school teacher I have very little sympathy for dead-beat dads that don't pay child support for their children.

I have never cared for Clinton's personal life with his many cases of documented adultery.

However, if we are going to go back and name past presidents that have committed fornication or adultery in their lives that have sat in the oval office, I think the list is going to be very long.

The presidents that I remember go back to Ike....

I believe that there were 3 presidents that the words fornication or adultery have never been associated with their names to my knowledge and they were Nixon, Ford, and Carter...

All the rest, well we can just say that they had their moments of sinful indiscretions.

Originally posted by rabidTU:

JC is an ordained minister today
I don't have a dog in this fight but that remark is hilarious.

Have we all seen members of the clergy who were total disgraces? The religious industry is no more innocent or corrupt than doctors, lawyers, plumbers, or common laborers. Dykes has a degree from oSu but it doesn't make him a scholar.

I have never cared for Clinton's personal life with his many cases of documented adultery.

However, if we are going to go back and name past presidents that have committed fornication or adultery in their lives that have sat in the oval office, I think the list is going to be very long.

I believe that there were 3 presidents that the words fornication or adultery have never been associated with their names to my knowledge and they were Nixon, Ford, and Carter...

All the rest, well we can just say that they had their moments of sinful indiscretions.
This isn't a case of simple adultery like his affair with Gennifer Flowers which was obviously forgivable and quickly covered up by the media and then dismissed altogether. It was being accused of exposing himself to Paul Jones, groping Kathleen Willey and the rape of Juanita Broaderick all done before his oval office "experience" with Monica. Thats hard to dismiss. Smoke-Fire. Compare that to some indiscretion in High School by a teenager - as a matter of fact, there is none.

IMO, compared to not forgiving a teenager for a sexual indiscretion and then forgiving a powerful adult elected official for something much worse is a mistake. As a matter of fact, there is no comparison between the two.

Originally posted by TUMe:

Have we all seen members of the clergy who were total disgraces? The religious industry is no more innocent or corrupt than doctors, lawyers, plumbers, or common laborers. Dykes has a degree from oSu but it doesn't make him a scholar.
That "minister" reference was from wikipedia. I suppose they thought it was relevent. Should I delete?

That "minister" reference was from wikipedia. I suppose they thought it was relevent. Should I delete?
Of course, you should not delete it. I just found it funny. You have every right to post it and I have the right to find it funny.

Sepp, the problem with Clinton was that he lied about it under oath in another case where they were suing for harassment. They were trying to show a pattern of abuse and misconduct. It is similar to Nixon conspiring to cover up the break in. That is a crime. Sex between consenting adults isn't a crime but perjury is a crime. Now I'm not a lawyer and I don't know if that met the standard of perjury or not, but it is too simplistic just to say he had an affair.

Sepp, the problem with Clinton was that he lied about it under oath in another case where they were suing for harassment. They were trying to show a pattern of abuse and misconduct. It is similar to Nixon conspiring to cover up the break in. That is a crime. Sex between consenting adults isn't a crime but perjury is a crime. Now I'm not a lawyer and I don't know if that met the standard of perjury or not, but it is too simplistic just to say he had an affair.
Good point. And if proven, exposing ones self is also against the law as well as groping and rape. I do believe those are felonious "acts". And besides, a person could actually lose their job and possible professional career for simply "wheezing" in public. I think thats been done locally and frowned on before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT