ADVERTISEMENT

Third Party?

watu05

I.T.S. Senior
Mar 19, 2021
A Republican friend of mine in Houston who shares my disgust with the deep divisions in our country has been actively encouraging people to look at the group "No Labels" which seeks to run a candidate in the next presidential election. The slate would consist of a Republican and a Democrat. Evidently the concept of a third party has run into some opposition from the Secretary of State in Maine. Here's a link to the description. From discussions I have had with others it's the non-Maga Republicans who are the most enthused. Dems worry that a third party could swing things to Trump. Still it's nice to see efforts to bring people together. Who knows where it will go.

I've heard rumors they have been working hard to recruit Joe Manchin to the ticket. No idea if they want him for POTUS or Veep, or how reliable that info is. He hasn't actually declared he is running for reelection yet in WV, so it is plausible.

It would appeal a lot to the moderate crowds, and I think they would more easily pick off disaffected Republicans than moderate Dems. Moderate Dems are not that displeased with Biden. His bigger problem is with the progressive wing.

Regardless of who it helps more this cycle, I generally think competition for the center is a good thing for the country overall going forward and hope it is not just a one off.

It was really interesting in the recent poll that while an astonishing number of GOP members still support Trump wholeheartedly, when they were asked what they wanted to hear from him in his speeches and rallies, 96% of Trump supporters said they wanted to hear his policy positions and plans for the future of the country. Only something like 35% wanted to hear about his defense to the indictments or complaints about the 2020 election. Somehow I think 96% of them will be disappointed.

I
Perot for reference... w/o perot, clinton never gets elected and the last 30 yrs never happens..
It is a different situation now if Trump gets nominated.

There is a segment of the populace that lean center or center right who would never vote Trump in any circumstances. DeSantis is not too far from Trump in his approach.

But they are persuadable to options other than Biden. I am among that group.

That US voters are likely left with two candidates in their 80's is a sad commentary. Where's the bench?

Watched Chris Christie tonight and I would vote for him over Biden despite his cozying to Trump before. He would be my number two choice after Hutchison.

I would probably give Hailey and Scott a good look despite their prior affiliations with Trump though they are less of what I prefer in a candidate.

Any of the others I would be compelled to vote Biden again. Or a third party option if a real centrist option were presented.

I guess that my standards have fallen. I sort of expect a certain degree of dishonesty from most people who run for office now.
I think that's true for most people.... My standards have been affected and a number of candidates that I didn't like at the time look a lot better now.

I think that's true for most people.... My standards have been affected and a number of candidates that I didn't like at the time look a lot better now.
Example. Biden's plagiarism seems like child's play now.

Christie had a pretty big hand in helping Trump win the nomination the first time, was really hoping to get a cabinet position, and then got passed over. It was only after that when he decided to pretend to be the candidate he’s running as now. He’s worthless

Christie had a pretty big hand in helping Trump win the nomination the first time, was really hoping to get a cabinet position, and then got passed over. It was only after that when he decided to pretend to be the candidate he’s running as now. He’s worthless
Mostly true.

I would take 98% of other candidates over Christie. Would much prefer someone who was consistently critical of Trump, or pragmatically critical to get things done, or even pragmatically supportive of Trump, over a Trump mega booster pretending to have had a change of heart and parading around like they’re on some kind of moral high ground like a jackass

Last edited:
someone who was consistently critical of Trump, or pragmatically critical
There aren't many of those around.

Here is a moderately comprehensive list of prominent to the party and/or well known Republican critics: Jeff Flake, Fred Upton, Adam Kinzinger, Dan Newhouse, Ben Sasse, Liz Cheney, Justin Amash, Mitt Romney, Lisa Murkowski, John Kasich, George Conway, Bill Barr, Jeff Sessions, James Mattis, John Kelley, Paul Ryan, & John Bolton.

Half that list didn't get reelected to office. At least one quarter of that list wouldn't be good candidates, or do not want to run. Many on that list wouldn't get any traction as candidates. Not much selection is left when you consider those factors.

Many Republican politicians privately held a different position than they did publicly.
Support and/or reelection played a major part in them subjugating their true feelings.

Reactions: drboobay
I would vote for Liz Cheney over Biden too. Of course she would have no shot at the R nomination.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
3rd party voters lean heavily conservative and pull votes from the Republicans much more so than Democrats. Always have, always will. 3rd party by and large are voters who are fiscally conservative but more socially liberal. Then there is a segment like myself that hate both Republicans and Democrats so much that I said I would never again vote for them and I have kept my word. I will only vote 3rd party and I will keep voting that way. I know my vote takes away from the Republican party because that is where my vote would go that majority of the time.

But the Trump dynamic feels different. Some of the folks who would never vote Biden except for Trump or another authoritarian might choose a third option. That feels like a new dynamic possibility to me.

Of course it only really matters in a few states.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT