ADVERTISEMENT

Play Brin! Bench Smith.

One might have thought he would get some minutes near the end yesterday. To keep him sharp & as a reward for savin' our bacon vs Tulane. But Noooooo! Monty's such a hard-head.

I am going to throw some sunshine into the conversation.

Smith has an NFL arm and, while inconsistent, has had some good performances.

Perhaps he is due for another good performance and we will see it next time out.

Dad Gummit! Just start Brin in the 1st Q. If he doesn't lead us to points then insert Smith to finish up. I'm not sure my heart can take another disastrous !st Q by Smith. Plus, I saw Smith rubbing his rib protectors on the sideline. He just got blasted several times after throwing. Cincy will not be kind to whichever QB plays, especially if Chris Paul is not back at tackle, & Brin's mobility might save him some pain & us from punting.

Last edited:
Smith has an NFL arm and, while inconsistent, has had some good performances.

I have been wondering if that is part of the problem. Specifically, if Monty is not benching Smith because he knows that if he benches him for any reason other than an obvious, in-game injury it would send a message to NFL scouts that would torpedo Smith’s chances at the next level.

I would assume Monty and Smith are close based on their history at Baylor, etc. For the team’s sake, I don’t want this to be the case, but it would not surprise me if that was an element of what’s going on.

Not to mention he’s his son’s roommate, as is Boomer.

And Include Zaven as a suite mate
My point was more that if your kid is on the team, it makes it difficult to make personnel decisions for some people. They wouldn’t want to disappoint or alienate their son or see their son hurt through resentment of teammates who were benched. It just adds an unnecessary dynamic to the locker room.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT