ADVERTISEMENT

PG Isaiah Hill signs with the Golden Hurricane -- story linked

Great signing ! Maybe the Tulsa World will give us space for him like they did for OU and OSU.

He and Phipps should be a great combo for several years. Thompson would just top it off.

If we got Thompson that would make our guard lineup his freshman year: Jackson, Joiner, Barnes, Moore, Jones, Hill, Phipps, and Thompson. That's a pretty fantastic guard lineup. Especially if Barnes, Jackson, & Moore progress this season. Maybe enough to keep us on Thompson's mind.

Great signing ! Maybe the Tulsa World will give us space for him like they did for OU and OSU.

He and Phipps should be a great combo for several years. Thompson would just top it off.
Loved the front page sports section spread on the signing. Oh wait, it wasn't front page, it must have been pg 2, or pg 3, or pg 4.(It might not have been pg 5 either, since there is as often as not, no page 5.) Oh wait they didn't actually write anything up. Let's see if it comes out in tomorrows day old bread of the Tulsa world.

Loved the front page sports section spread on the signing. Oh wait, it wasn't front page, it must have been pg 2, or pg 3, or pg 4.(It might not have been pg 5 either, since there is as often as not, no page 5.) Oh wait they didn't actually write anything up. Let's see if it comes out in tomorrows day old bread of the Tulsa world.

The World had a pretty nice write-up in Thursday's paper about Hill, said he was the highest rated national signing since 2000, said his AAU team was the best in the land last summer, among other ditty's.

The World had a pretty nice write-up in Thursday's paper about Hill, said he was the highest rated national signing since 2000, said his AAU team was the best in the land last summer, among other ditty's.
Thanks, I didn't see that online. Sometimes they don't show everything in the summary page of TUSportsExtra. It's rather annoying that I have to search for a story sometimes. I just found it under basketball, rather than the summary.

Most days the Whirled's paper copy only has four pages for sports. It's now just a tax write-off for BH Media Group.

Reactions: Gold* and Gmoney4WW
Not a bad article for the World and Hines did a little research. Just needed a photo and placement on the front sports page. If he is the best signee in 18 years, we needed at least a photo.

Reactions: Gold* and Gmoney4WW
I think Uzoh was a great signing. There were others, but that was the best in message board era. He probably wasn’t ranked high, but everyone wanted him and there was high drama on that one. He was the show for four years. The biggest one before that was Shea or Ruff.

I think Uzoh was a great signing. There were others, but that was the best in message board era. He probably wasn’t ranked high, but everyone wanted him and there was high drama on that one. He was the show for four years. The biggest one before that was Shea or Ruff.

Didn't self sign a McDonalds All-American who had injury issues?

Seems llike Self signed a big kid from Oklahoma City, McDaniel, who was very highly rated. He played quite a bit as a freshman but after the coaching change he didn't play and left after or during his soph year. I'm sure I've confused some of those details; maybe someone with a better memory can straighten me out.

Uzoh had a very nice offer sheet if I recall. Committable offers . He was a legitimate D1 player from the day he stepped foot on campus.

DeAngelo McDaniel was Self's #1 recruiting priority the day he was hired. When he signed, Self compared it to when Shea signed with Tulsa. He was the consensus top player in Oklahoma and was a top 100 recruit nationally. He averaged 11 blocks per game in high school. They broke the news that he had signed over the PA during halftime of Self's first regular season game against Tulane.

But he had injury issues, attitude issues, and he never really developed. He played 5 minutes in the Elite Eight game against UNC and had a nice block against Brendan Haywood. He only played in 5 more games after that and was eventually kicked off the team by Buzz.

D Mac was pre blue board. But I think he was top 50. Recruiting was different then. We still had Ruffin and then we signed Kurtz, who was a big time recruit. But then we also had McDaniel. He just never played much. He had a leg injury. He was a junior when Buzz sent him home.

Things were just different. There was a ton of local talent. Most of it was under the radar. Eric Coley wouldn’t finish his high school career at Eufaula now. Every handler would have raided those Booker T teams. We had like Nine D1 players at one point. Ebi Ere wouldn’t have been at McLain and wouldn’t have gone to JUCO.

But there were so many good players who cane through. That’s what makes the ranking comment sort of annoying.

The World had a pretty nice write-up in Thursday's paper about Hill, said he was the highest rated national signing since 2000
I saw that, and it's not correct. Yusuf Baker was rated higher in 2004 (#17 nationally at his position). Also, they used 247 Sports ranking, and 247 has only existed since 2010, so no way to go back to 2000.

Not a bad article for the World and Hines did a little research. Just needed a photo and placement on the front sports page. If he is the best signee in 18 years, we needed at least a photo.
He's a great signee, but not the best in 18 years. Also, I noticed all of the info in the World article came straight from the TU media release, so no research was done.

Reactions: ctt8410
As I mentioned, Yusuf Baker in 2004 (first year of our Rivals message board) was the highest rated since 2000. Ben Uzoh was highly rated, but not as high as Hill. Zeldric King was a former 4-star, but dropped to a 3-star before Tulsa signed him.

Uzoh had a very nice offer sheet if I recall. Committable offers . He was a legitimate D1 player from the day he stepped foot on campus.
Uzoh had one of the best offer sheets of anyone TU has signed since 2000, but he didn't have a national ranking. Among his offers were Oklahoma, Wichita State, Virginia, Creighton and Nebraska.

That’s what makes the ranking comment sort of annoying.

I was more annoyed when I thought Kelly came up with it herself. Should have realized that she didn't do any research beyond the press release. Even so, there's a bit of an Iraqi Information minister thing going on here. He's a good signee. There's no reason to juice the numbers to make it look better than it is.

Marcus Ledoux was pretty highly rated out of HS when he went to LSU. I recall we wanted him and his friend who both went to LSU.

Reactions: nevadanatural
I was more annoyed when I thought Kelly came up with it herself. Should have realized that she didn't do any research beyond the press release. Even so, there's a bit of an Iraqi Information minister thing going on here. He's a good signee. There's no reason to juice the numbers to make it look better than it is.
It’s a backhanded slap. This is the first time since 2000 that little TU got a good basketball player! Wow!

I was surprised she didn’t compare Hill’s ranking to that of the seven high school signees of OU and OSU. Anything to diminish TU.

Last edited:
Yea it was pathetic reporting. Even more pathetic was our win got the back page of that crappy paper.

The press release claims 247 sports rankings go back to 2000 yet the website doesn’t even appear on the internet archive until April 2001
247 Sports, as a recruiting service, began in 2010 and started with Bama Online, if I remember right. The former Rivals owner (who sold Rivals to Yahoo) started 247 after his non-compete ran out.

Rivals started back in 1996, I believe, but the current ranking system only goes back to 2002.

CLARKSON was a pretty big signing Texas wanted him pretty bad. My buddy still talks about it.

Thanks Chris!

Based on this information, wasn’t Jackson a higher ranked recruit than Hill?
In a sense, yes...if you are talking strictly about overall national ranking. I think Zeldric King spent some time in the Top 150 at one point also.

TU was looking at Hill's positional ranking from 247 in claiming he's the highest rated. Hill is close, but again, Yusuf Baker was rated higher in 2004. So Hill is definitely one of the highest rated based on positional ranking...Rivals has him at No. 42 and 247 has him at No. 25.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT