ADVERTISEMENT

Penny... Memphis...

Aw the thread title and immediately thought “Is the NCAA investigating him already?”

folks said the same things about Larry Finch and Fred Hoiberg...

Larry Finch was forced to resign. I would not hold him as a "non-train wreck" coach. At the end of his career there the train did wreck at the Pyramid with losing basketball.

Larry Finch was forced to resign. I would not hold him as a "non-train wreck" coach. At the end of his career there the train did wreck at the Pyramid with losing basketball.

Larry had obvious health issues he refused to address (diabetes) and was forced to resign...he started losing toes, then limbs, lost his ability to speak, and ended up passing roughly 10 years after. To call this good Christian coach a 'train wreck' is disgusting and does not fit this holy holiday weekend.

Memphis only had to fire him because he didn't want to leave a position he truly loved even though his health made it impossible for him to stay.

RIP Larry, Memphis loves you!

There was a lot of mostly hate toward Finch on the Dockery-Finch board before his firing . .....just like Pastner and his "escape" from Memphis and the Unchristian way you treated Tubby Smith talking about his "bald ass son" You have just a lot of hate for every coach. Even Calipari is hated in Memphis and he did more to bring your program back than anyone.

Reactions: Stevene and TU 1978
and the Unchristian way you treated Tubby Smith talking about his "bald ass son" You have just a lot of hate for every coach

what in God's green earth are you rambling about? I've said no such things about anyone's kid whereas I directly quoted your comment about Coach Finch.

unchristian? we're paying Coach Smith every cent of the contract we both signed in good faith.

explain your odd rambling comments because no one hated Larry Finch. I mean, the Dockery-Finch board didn't even exist when Larry was coaching. Even the folks he coached against like Nolan Richardson and Denny Crum loved the guy.

what in God's green earth are you rambling about? I've said no such things about anyone's kid whereas I directly quoted your comment about Coach Finch.

unchristian? we're paying Coach Smith every cent of the contract we both signed in good faith.

explain your odd rambling comments because no one hated Larry Finch. I mean, the Dockery-Finch board didn't even exist when Larry was coaching. Even the folks he coached against like Nolan Richardson and Denny Crum loved the guy.
I know this has nothing to do with this conversation, but wanted to get somebody from Memphis to answer this. I have a buddy stationed in Kentucky and we are thinking about meeting each other for the TU- Memphis football game, what is the BEST BBQ restaurant in Memphis :)

I know this has nothing to do with this conversation, but wanted to get somebody from Memphis to answer this. I have a buddy stationed in Kentucky and we are thinking about meeting each other for the TU- Memphis football game, what is the BEST BBQ restaurant in Memphis :)

since you'll both be by the Liberty Bowl...Central BBQ at Central and Cooper.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...72-Reviews-Central_BBQ-Memphis_Tennessee.html

hit up Cooper-Young (that's both the areas name and the intersection it's located at) after the game for drinks.

Reactions: TULSARISING
all we need is a QB because we have a stable of running backs and WRs.

it'll be either

Brady White (ASU grad transfer)
https://247sports.com/Player/Brady-White-30136

or

David Moore (Ferguson's back-up)
https://247sports.com/player/david-moore-74164

I'm fully expecting Tulsa to return to form next season.
I hope, the qb position is still up in the air. I think most of us are expecting a 5-7 win season. Could be better if we get lucky or could be worse if we have the kind of luck we had this year haha we have signed a ton of jucos on defense so that is a big question mark so who knows haha

folks said the same things about Larry Finch and Fred Hoiberg...

Great players who become great coaches are few and far between. Although there are obvious overlaps between the two jobs, they for the most part involve pretty different skill sets. It’s pretty rare to find someone who’s 1 in a million at two different things.

Larry had obvious health issues he refused to address (diabetes) and was forced to resign...he started losing toes, then limbs, lost his ability to speak, and ended up passing roughly 10 years after. To call this good Christian coach a 'train wreck' is disgusting and does not fit this holy holiday weekend.

Memphis only had to fire him because he didn't want to leave a position he truly loved even though his health made it impossible for him to stay.

RIP Larry, Memphis loves you!

Most reports Suggest that Larry was fired because performance was dropping (16-15 and first round loss in CUSA tourney his last year), his teams were routinely considered to be underachievers and he was increasingly losing Memphis talent to other programs. It looks like most of the health issues started about 5 years after his dismissal. I suspect this is a case of rewriting history after the fact because it’s a more comfortable story than the truth. Would his diabetes have gotten him fired if he was making elite eights regularly? Pretty sure not.

Even the folks he coached against like Nolan Richardson and Denny Crum loved the guy.

Ahh yes, the truth emerges. He was literally as loyal to Memphis as a human can be, and he was a great guy who everyone loved. And you fired him in the hallway of the gym after his last game. It’s ok to be ashamed, it’s natural. But own it, don’t rewrite history after the fact and Make it sound like it was about his health. He wasn’t winning enough games and you fired him because of that.

Reactions: cmullinsTU and I.I.
It's basketball not religion guys. Keep your religious :crap: out of it. A guy is a good coach, not a good "Christian" coach. F that! I really hope one day we get an atheist coach so I can watch half you guys squirm. He is a really good coach but he is atheist...should we extend or fire????

Reactions: Weatherdemon
It's basketball not religion guys. Keep your religious :crap: out of it. A guy is a good coach, not a good "Christian" coach. F that! I really hope one day we get an atheist coach so I can watch half you guys squirm. He is a really good coach but he is atheist...should we extend or fire????

Actually the only one making a big deal about it was a Memphis fan... You’re looking for a fight that isn’t there.

Actually the only one making a big deal about it was a Memphis fan... You’re looking for a fight that isn’t there.
I assumed Memphis fan was being ironic or facetious since the idea of a den of thieves like Memphis athletics caring about religious stuff is, you must admit, funny.

I have never heard anyone on here complain about whether or not any of our coaches was a Christian or not. Though, I do believe Frank and Montgomery are

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Penny Hardaway gets his first commitment to Memphis........Jayden Hardaway......Top National Recruit and .......his son..... Otherwise he was not going to Memphis.

So the cheapskate Penny won't pay his dollar(for his son's tuition) out of his tiny salary to get one more scholarship player?

I could be wrong, but I think there are rules to prevent this.

I don’t know the rules around it but it can be done. Doug McDermott did so his senior year: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...mott-to-become-walk-on-for-creighton/2483463/
Didn't think most coaches ever put their kids on scholarship due to employee advantages/high income. Haith's kid wasn't on athletic scholarship. Thought it was really odd to see Penny's kid on athletic scholarship.

Didn't think most coaches ever put their kids on scholarship due to employee advantages/high income. Haith's kid wasn't on athletic scholarship. Thought it was really odd to see Penny's kid on athletic scholarship.

At TU there is a 1 year elimination period before a faculty or staff member can receive a tuition waiver for their 26 year old or younger dependent.

At TU there is a 1 year elimination period before a faculty or staff member can receive a tuition waiver for their 26 year old or younger dependent.
No Duh. And it's not like that at all schools. The coach usually makes enough money that he can afford one year of tuition until that kicks in, if the school even has that delay. That's why I said employee benefits/high income.

No Duh. And it's not like that at all schools. The coach usually makes enough money that he can afford one year of tuition until that kicks in, if the school even has that delay. That's why I said employee benefits/high income.

I wasn’t arguing with you, I was just stating how it’s done at TU. I’m sure each school does it a little differently.

So the cheapskate Penny won't pay his dollar(for his son's tuition) out of his tiny salary to get one more scholarship player?
GG Smith didn't sign with TU coming out of Cascia Hall when Tubby was coach. He was going to use the employee dependent tuition benefit. That also meant GG could transfer when Tubby left and didn't need to seek a release. There are advantages both ways. My guess is Penny just gonna sign the entire AAU team right now and have 16 kids on some sort of scholarship

Penny added Mike Miller to the staff. Miller is apparently supposed to be bringing a couple high level recruits with him.

The Mike Miller who played at Florida?
Yup. And in the NBA. Former ROY, 6th Man of the Year, and won a couple championships with Lebron.

I don't care how Penny ends up coaching; we're not currently prepared to square off with the level of recruits Memphis is going to be bringing in. (To be fair; they'll probably end up getting dinged by the NCAA eventually but that doesn't help us at all)

Yup. And in the NBA. Former ROY, 6th Man of the Year, and won a couple championships with Lebron.

I don't care how Penny ends up coaching; we're not currently prepared to square off with the level of recruits Memphis is going to be bringing in. (To be fair; they'll probably end up getting dinged by the NCAA eventually but that doesn't help us at all)
Small forward who was tatted pretty good and was a good shooter? He always seemed like one of those role players that every team needs to get over the hump.

Two players just asked for their release from Arkansas. One plays on Hardaway's AAU team. Coincidence?

Small forward who was tatted pretty good and was a good shooter? He always seemed like one of those role players that every team needs to get over the hump.

He played 7 years with the Grizzlies and was very popular with the fans. He has lived in Memphis since he retired from the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT