ADVERTISEMENT

PAC-12 Flirting with SMU?

Michigan and Ohio State will be playing a regular season game in the stadium every other year. About the time the Rose Bowl becomes irrelevant you figure the expanded playoff will kick in and everyone’s regular season will be about as irrelevant Kansas playing Iowa State in basketball in February.

Reactions: noble cane
Pony sucks and the annual TMZing about conference realignment sucks hard too.

College football sucks so bad because of this. 16 team playoffs would have solved so much of these ills. but they liked the bull:crap: bowl mania.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Should have thrown in Alaska-Fairbanks as hockey only for effect. Would have been more funny and no less believable.

Reactions: drboobay
Looks like the 4 corner Pac-10 schools going to the Big 12 was all nonsense and hype. Big 12 is a weak football league as of 2024, with 8 remaining teams no other conference wants, and 4 G-5 to backfill. Pac-10/12 and Big 12 will battle for the 4th best football league honors going forward.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Looks like the 4 corner Pac-10 schools going to the Big 12 was all nonsense and hype. Big 12 is a weak football league as of 2024, with 8 remaining teams no other conference wants, and 4 G-5 to backfill. Pac-10/12 and Big 12 will battle for the 4th best football league honors going forward.
Rumors out there the Big 12 was actually paying Twitter accounts and pundits to push false narratives. Could be a heck of a lawsuit if true.

Rumors out there the Big 12 was actually paying Twitter accounts and pundits to push false narratives. Could be a heck of a lawsuit if true.
Some Cali website ran that story. Referred to West Virginia as West Virginia State so I’m a bit dubious. Yormark does remind me a bit of an east coast mafia guy though.

Not sure why any TU fan would want the PAC-12 to stay together as a viable Pac12 increases the odds SMU heads west.

Last edited:
reorg. create 11 Geographic conferences with 12 teams each. playoff would include top 3 from each conference. 32 and 33 would have a playin game.

Some Cali website ran that story. Referred to West Virginia as West Virginia State so I’m a bit dubious. Yormark does remind me a bit of an east coast mafia guy though.

Not sure why any TU fan would want the PAC-12 to stay together as a viable Pac12 increases the odds SMU heads west.
I think both are staying together at this point for a few years and the payouts will be roughly even. Been wrong on this stuff before though obviously.

Yormark does remind me a bit of an east coast mafia guy though.
Since he was COO of Roc Nation, wouldnt that make him "Gangsta".. kidding aside, he ran Jay Zs business interests and my opinion of Jay Z is that he doesnt work with stupid timid people and as such Yormark is a force that will change the B12 into some form of Roc Nations vision for college sports..

I think both are staying together at this point for a few years and the payouts will be roughly even. Been wrong on this stuff before though obviously.
Seems to be where this is headed. The Pac-12 schools are going to have to be ok with accepting significant streaming in exchange for $$$. I assume in the end they will agree in the short term. Odds of the AAC losing SMU just increased imo. I expect the Pac-12 to extend an offer and SMU to accept.

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
Seems to be where this is headed. The Pac-12 schools are going to have to be ok with accepting significant streaming in exchange for $$$. I assume in the end they will agree in the short term. Odds of the AAC losing SMU just increased imo. I expect the Pac-12 to extend an offer and SMU to accept.
The vote has to be unanimous to add SMU and at least last week they weren’t anywhere close to that happening. You never can tell what regents are doing once they go into executive session though.

is losing smu, that big of a loss?

Well it is one step closer to putting us back to WAC post Denver Airport or the version of CUSA we left. One fewer interesting opponent. Reduces the entertainment value of my tickets.

Officials from both AZ and ASU have said they expect the numbers on the deal next week and it will meet or exceed Big 12. Sad pony is sad.

Reactions: TU 1978
Officials from both AZ and ASU have said they expect the numbers on the deal next week and it will meet or exceed Big 12. Sad pony is sad.
I don’t see that as bad for SMU. Another question is how much streaming content will the Pac-12 schools accept and what will be the length of the media deal?

So no SMU and/or San Diego St necessary for new contract?
Who knows but there’s reputable mainstream pundits out there who cover this issue full time saying Pac 12 will stay intact until the next Big 10 deal in a couple of years. the AZ pres is publicly predicting/hopeful that the number will exceed the Big 12. I don’t see how that happens unless ESPN is willing to take a substantial overpay just to keep this thing stable and folks in Congress unconcerned. People forget that Notre Dame collects less than the ACC. Such a PAC12 deal would likely exceed what NBC will pay Notre Dame and bring them one step closer to having to cut a conference deal just to keep up.

Sounded like SMU would be a junior partner, essentially.

Still a 50% increase in revenue and getting to play Cal and Stanford instead of UTSA and UAB seems like a step up to me. If the travel costs are not an overburden. I wish TU had this option from a fan interest standpoint.

I don’t see that as bad for SMU. Another question is how much streaming content will the Pac-12 schools accept and what will be the length of the media deal?
Nicole Auerbach is generally reliable though she does print one source stories. She says the streaming thing is a nonstarter with the PAC12 Presidents. They will go along with it to keep up with the times, but they have aging fan bases and the feedback has been strongly negative. And by that I assume the money didn’t come close to working, with or without SMU. There’s no network appetite for SMU. They would only be an option in a heavy streaming deal with a reduced payout and that’s a no go. As the president of ASU said earlier this week. Driving to Lubbock is closer than Dallas.

Nicole Auerbach is generally reliable though she does print one source stories. She says the streaming thing is a nonstarter with the PAC12 Presidents. They will go along with it to keep up with the times, but they have aging fan bases and the feedback has been strongly negative. And by that I assume the money didn’t come close to working, with or without SMU. There’s no network appetite for SMU. They would only be an option in a heavy streaming deal with a reduced payout and that’s a no go. As the president of ASU said earlier this week. Driving to Lubbock is closer than Dallas.
I’m curious to see the specifics of the media deal as everything I’ve read includes a significant amount of streaming content. With Oregon and Washington dancing with the Big10, I don’t see staying at ten members as a stable structure. Taking a SDS and SMU at a 40-50% share seems to make a lot of sense for several reasons. Of course the Pac-12 hasn’t made much sense in the past few years in their athletic decision making.

I’m curious to see the specifics of the media deal as everything I’ve read includes a significant amount of streaming content. With Oregon and Washington dancing with the Big10, I don’t see staying at ten members as a stable structure. Taking a SDS and SMU at a 40-50% share seems to make a lot of sense for several reasons. Of course the Pac-12 hasn’t made much sense in the past few years in their athletic decision making.
And maybe that’s the theater here. They finally got a nearly final number and they are playing coy with SMU hinting they might be left out trying to drive the share down.

And maybe that’s the theater here. They finally got a nearly final number and they are playing coy with SMU hinting they might be left out trying to drive the share down.
If I thought I needed 12 for stability then that’s the play I would make. We will know soon enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT