ADVERTISEMENT

Our changing culture.

watu05

I.T.S. Senior
Mar 19, 2021
Another indicator of how divided and hostile America is becoming? We've seen an increased number of road rage reports around here too. More and more actions have taken on a political meaning or a key a violent reaction. Mask wearing too is a good example of the former.

Let’s compare gun related road rage deaths across the country to gun related murders in Chicago alone. NYT is once again failing to focus on the big picture due to their political agenda

The censoring of speech which with we disagree is another example and probably the most dangerous

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Wouldn't have anything to do with the mental illnesses we caused / exacerbated by disrupting people's lives, isolating them, and causing them to lose their jobs would it?

Rather than continue turning this into a pissing match I’m gonna delete my previous post and let this go back to the topic

Last edited:
The fact that 75% of election officials support the censoring of speech should alarm us all. Especially in light of the censorship of legitimate stories we’ve seen over the past few years. Our democracy is truly in trouble.
Censoring of speech outside of reason you should consider troublesome.

Censoring of speech outside of reason you should consider troublesome.
Exactly. There should be the highest of requirements to silence our rights to free speech. Anything less endangers our democracy and places those without a voice in grave danger. We’ve seen the silencing not only of speech but those who are providing said speech based of false claims over the past few years. This is a growing problem. Hopefully those who once championed our basic right to free speech will once again realize the dangers of silencing the same.

Exactly. There should be the highest of requirements to silence our rights to free speech. Anything less endangers our democracy and places those without a voice in grave danger. We’ve seen the silencing not only of speech but those who are providing said speech based of false claims over the past few years. This is a growing problem. Hopefully those who once championed our basic right to free speech will once again realize the dangers of silencing the same.
The ACLU should be all over this.

So Frank James had 12 convictions before his rampage. A few were for not showing up in court. But there were several serious charges. Yet he was back on the street and with a major act of terrorism. Where do they get judges and prosecuters.

Violence within our cities has increased dramatically over the past few years. Guns, reduced policing, drugs, etc… are all contributing as is a basic disregard for human life.

Violence within our cities has increased dramatically over the past few years. Guns, reduced policing, drugs, etc… are all contributing as is a basic disregard for human life.
A confluence of factors. The results of George Floyd and Covid leading to an increase in retirements and resignations. Fewer arrests attributed to the same reasons. And departments being unable to backfill positions because they had trouble getting people into academies due to Covid.

In all honesty though, if cops were retiring because of the potential repercussions for unlawful actions then I say good riddance. We will replace them as we are able, arrest rates will go back up, and we will have a more accountable police force as a result.

Glad to see the “defund police” movement has ended. Hopefully those behind the failed movement now realize that less police have consequences.

A confluence of factors. The results of George Floyd and Covid leading to an increase in retirements and resignations. Fewer arrests attributed to the same reasons. And departments being unable to backfill positions because they had trouble getting people into academies due to Covid.

In all honesty though, if cops were retiring because of the potential repercussions for unlawful actions then I say good riddance. We will replace them as we are able, arrest rates will go back up, and we will have a more accountable police force as a result.
My career is dedicated to helping organizations assess and select employees.

Nevertheless, I tell my clients even the best, most predictive test, assessment or interview is completely useless if you cannot attract a great pool of candidates.

So you have to ask what type of person is attracted to a peace officer role? You need the mental and physical toughness to deal effectively with horrible and violent people. Yet you need to be culturally sensitive and build trust in the communities where the worst crime is occurring. Starting pay is generally poor to middling.

It is a tough situation. We want a lot from these people. And now there is an especially vocal minority of folks who want to criticize everything law enforcement with few if any productive solutions offerred.

My career is dedicated to helping organizations assess and select employees.

Nevertheless, I tell my clients even the best, most predictive test, assessment or interview is completely useless if you cannot attract a great pool of candidates.

So you have to ask what type of person is attracted to a peace officer role? You need the mental and physical toughness to deal effectively with horrible and violent people. Yet you need to be culturally sensitive and build trust in the communities where the worst crime is occurring. Starting pay is generally poor to middling.

It is a tough situation. We want a lot from these people. And now there is an especially vocal minority of folks who want to criticize everything law enforcement with few if any productive solutions offerred.
More stringent hiring requirements met with increased benefits for good (logical, diligent, and law abiding) candidates, not just candidates with previous experience with the use of force. Increased + better training and expectation of conduct. Real consequences for blatant abuses of power.

Last edited:
Glad to see the “defund police” movement has ended. Hopefully those behind the failed movement now realize that less police have consequences.
Don't ignore the fact that more police (of a certain nature) have consequences as well. If you want to argue that they do more good than harm despite the abundance of "bad eggs" then you can. But the system is clearly broken and ignoring that is fractious for our society.

Don't ignore the fact that more police (of a certain nature) have consequences as well. If you want to argue that they do more good than harm despite the abundance of "bad eggs" then you can. But the system is clearly broken and ignoring that is fractious for our society.
Only a moron would make the argument that police do more harm than good.

Reactions: TUMe and drboobay
Only a moron would make the argument that police do more harm than good.
Some police certainly do more harm than good, especially given the fact that they can repetitively cause harm and suffer few if any consequences and then they move departments where they can do more harm.

Some police certainly do more harm than good, especially given the fact that they can repetitively cause harm and suffer few if any consequences and then they move departments where they can do more harm.
Only a moron would argue that bad police don’t do harm :)

Only a moron would argue that bad police don’t do harm :)
Fair assessment.

I agree, on the whole, a police force is an absolute necessity and they do give much benefit to our society in terms of stability. There is just a LOT of room for improvement.

Again - recruiting people who can do all we are asking is the biggest challenge. Especially in the current labor market.

While the issues with policing deserve attention as a separate problem, the context of policing is also changing as our society grows more divided, increasingly armed, and quicker to anger.

Reactions: drboobay
The "Scopes Monkey Trial " was in 1925. Although several states (e.g., Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas) continued to ban teaching evolution as late as 1968, no state does so any longer.

Here's the Republican candidate endorsed by Trump for Secretary of State to oversee elections....

Kristina Karamo is one of the loudest provocateurs among a dozen or so secretary of state candidates running on false election-fraud claims. She has Trump’s endorsement.

This weekend, in a sign of how much the grass roots of the Republican Party is with Trump on election fraud, the Michigan GOP voted to nominate her. In addition to denying election results without evidence, she has called schools “government indoctrination camps,” opposes the teaching of evolution and opposes coronavirus vaccines and childhood vaccines.

Constantly invoking the name of Trump has replaced invoking Hitler.

I hope Trump does not run. January 6th will not be easy to forget.

Until Trump, US presidents went gracefully off the stage or tried to help the country in the background. Trump has chosen to make himself central to US politics , to undermine efforts of the current administration, and sabotage trust in our most important institutions, especially elections. He works hard to be front and center in every possible media.

Are you suggesting that everyone has to follow your lead and pretend it's not happening? You certainly are not shy about posting even unsupported speculation about Biden.

What is unsupported? It is displayed in speeches, getting lost and air handshakes. He can be seen losing track of which of two questions he is talking about. He closes his eyes at times, puts his head down on the podium. You wouldn't expect his doctors to have a press conference. On more than one occasion he has said "I am not supposed to talk about that." Who tells a healthy President of the United States what he can and cannot talk about? Do you watch him on TV?

Trump: I have stated that I will not vote for him if he runs again. January 6 was a disgrace. And that was just the tip of the iceberg. Some people want to ignore that. I am not one of them. Trump is a past and possibly future problem. Biden is a problem now. Even you, though you won't admit it, know that.

Reactions: Clong83a
To not admit Biden has cognitive issue is simply disingenuous. It’s one thing to be partisan or even a shill for a political party. It’s entirely different to be blinded to a point of ignoring reality. Being a sheep is one thing. Being a blind sheep is another.

I’m with TuMe, I don’t want Trump anywhere near a political position. The faster he can fade into obscurity the better. I can also say that Biden is in no condition to run this country. It’s sad to watch him struggle with the simplest of thoughts….and he has 2.5 more years left.

Where do they get judges and prosecuters.
From the bottom of the law school class.

In some states, prosecutors have an average starting pay less than entry level school teachers.

I was reading the other day, I think it was Houston, the average prosecutor has 400 pending cases including approx. 25 first and second degree murders. Even if you can find a judge to keep up with that, you can’t expect people to do that job very long for $60,000 when their friends with less experience are making $300,000 five years after graduation. Not with a shack of a house in a crappy part of town with terrible schools going for $500,000.

• Sad
Reactions: watu05
My libertarian side finds its very heartening to hear that prosecutors are are generally dumb and inept

Reactions: HuffyCane
My libertarian side finds its very heartening to hear that prosecutors are are generally dumb and inept
You saw it happen in the Rittenhouse trial. That was the best an average local state prosecution team could produce.

party in power shutting down free speech.

mandates

unvaccinated citizens lose their carrers while uvaccinated illegals are welcomed.

achievement is penalized while
gold bricks are rewarded.

we are no longer the leader of the free world

we advocate for non use of our natural resources

opinion is reported as news

no more debate. its my way or the highway.

political abuse of the Constitution.

the loss os individual frredoms.

The far right and far left on the abortion just might be the vilest group of politicians in existence.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Biden’s Press Secretary claiming the Georgia gubernatorial election was stolen.

"Guess I needed to start following what happens in Arkansas churches."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT