ADVERTISEMENT

Other Teams?

heavymetalhurricane

I.T.S. Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2019
It's pretty much a given that everyone here is a TU fan but what other teams do you cheer for besides TU and why ?

-Washington State Cougars- I started liking them during their 97 season with Leaf, when they played Michigan in the Rose bowl that year. Met my wife in 2007 when she was in vet school and she got her undergrad degree at Wazzu. They fight some of the same battles TU does, putting fans in the seats. Its interesting how some things happen...
-Oklahoma State Cowboys- Got my degree from there in '07. My father went there, my uncle went there as well and was the kicker in the mid to late 70's. Always cheer for TU when they play the pokes though.

Reactions: HuffyCane
BYU. They ripped off all of TU’s passing innovations in the 70s and 80s. It’s a great place to see a game. Most of the dudes out there playing are married with kids and no shot at the NFL but play anyway because they love it. They’ve always got a couple of starters who don’t have a speck of natural athletic ability but have willed themselves into being football players. They are notorious nut punchers in the pile up after the tackle. They run their mouths and usually can back it up. It’s usually the last game on TV at night, so I just turn it on and snooze until Mrs. Huffy shuts it down.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
i watch almost any college game, switch around until finding one that seems most interesting. I support the AAC teams when not playing TU. I chose among them, for conference games, on which winning/losing has best impact on TU.

The University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, not Pittsburg Kansas. I went to Pitt for my undergraduate degree (50 years ago). In 1970 I came to Tulsa for law school at TU. From 1916 to 1940 Pitt was a major college power. In the 1916 era the Pitt coach was the legendary Pop Warner. During the 1930s the coach was Dr. Jock Sutherland, a dentist. Sutherland and also Pop Warner won multiple National Championships. The Panthers played in the Rose Bowl several times. I was at Pitt during a dark period that I called between Mike Ditka and Tony Dorsett. Johnny Majors and Tony Dorsett won the National Championship in 1976. I was able to attend the January 1, 1977 Sugar Bowl where Pitt beat Georgia and ended the year undefeated. It was easy to become a TU fan after law school because TU used to recruit Western Pennsylvania. TU recruited a lot of linemen like Steve August from Jeanette, PA and Tony Liscio from Pittsburgh Westinghouse High. Also, TU brought in several Western Pennsylvania Quarterbacks like Gus Frerotte from Ford City, PA and Michael Wall from Washington, PA. Finally, Brennan Marion was from Greensburg, PA about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh. I met and visited with his mother and several other family members when TU played at Marshall in 2008.

For some reason my two schools have never played each other in any sport. I would definitely be conflicted if they ever did play. Help me what would the rest of you do?

I mentioned TU recruiting the Pittsburgh for football players. A couple of athletes have gone from Tulsa to Pitt. Isaac Bennett was a running back from B.T. Washington. I do not know if TU recruited him. Graham did for Pitt. Bennett stayed with Pitt after Graham went to Arizona State. He was a decent back at Pitt.

The most significant Tulsan to play at Pitt was Julius Pegues. Pegues was probably the best basketball player in the State of Oklahoma in the early 1950s. He also graduated from Tulsa Washington. The local schools would not let him play because he was black. He wanted to study Aeronautical Engineering. A Tulsa oil man knew him and agreed to help him find a school The oil man was also a graduate of Pitt. The oil man called the Pitt Athletic Director and sent Julius to Pitt. Pegues was the first black basketball player at Pitt but certainly not the first black athlete. He scored over 1,000 points in three years and led the Panthers along with the great Don Hennon to the NCAA Tournament when only 16 teams were invited. After graduation Pegues was drafted by the St. Louis (now Atlanta) Hawks of the NBA. He turned the Hawks down for the Air Force. He was however the first Tulsa Public School graduate to be drafted by an NBA team. For the last 50 or more years Julius Pegues has been an engineer and civic leader in Tulsa. i have met with Julius and I am proud to know him.

Last edited:
I'll give you a hint:

Cheer, cheer for Old _______ _________,
Wake up the echoes cheering her name,
Send a volley cheer on high,
Shake down the thunder from the sky!

I was born in 1974...Barry Switzer coached OU from 1973 to 1988. So those Oklahoma teams of the 80s made a big impression on me, and I still watch a lot of Sooners games.
I can vouch for the fact that all these years later bourbon still mixes well with all those old Oklahoma Football with Coach Switzer playback shows on YouTube. I just wish more of the Graham era was available. Who on here doesn’t think a half a high ball of Wild Turkey and UTEP losing by 50 points isn’t a good way to end the day?

I can vouch for the fact that all these years later bourbon still mixes well with all those old Oklahoma Football with Coach Switzer playback shows on YouTube. I just wish more of the Graham era was available. Who on here doesn’t think a half a high ball of Wild Turkey and UTEP losing by 50 points isn’t a good way to end the day?
As long as it's Wild Turkey 101. 🥃 😊

Reactions: HuffyCane
After TU, I root for the KC Royals, even when they play any Switzer-coached team. As for current college football, I'll watch Northwestern b/c Pat Fitzgerald is a bad hombre.

I still kinda pull for the Colorado Barfaloes. I jumped on their bandwagon back in the late 80s b/c it was nice to see someone else step up in the old Big 8 other than OU and Nebraska.

Last edited:
I cheer for Baylor because my sister graduated from there and many of my friends and former students went to school there. TCU because my niece graduated from there and so did my fav cousin. Abilene Christian because my other niece graduated from ACC. North Texas because my nephew graduated from there. (By the way, all them graduated magna cum laude.) Any one who plays Bama, Houston, Arkansas or Texas A&M (damn aggies). I cheer for AAC and B12 teams. I cheer for Army because my whole family is Army and three of my former students graduated from the Point. In most other games I cheer for the underdog. I might also add that, at last count, I'm responsible or partly responsible for helping 17 of my former students go to TU and all but one have graduated from TU. Just one more reason to bring back the college of education!!

:nukem:nuke fuc

After TU in football I cheer for any team that plays a p5 school. Then OU, Kansas, K-State... Our Peewee C (2nd grade) baseball team was named the Wildcats, our coach was a K-State grad. When p5 teams play each other I always cheer for the underdog.

Most of my family lives in Missouri. I follow them closely and root for them in SEC play. If Tulsa dropped football, it would definitely be my transition team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT