ADVERTISEMENT

OSU @ TU -- Tulsa must fire on all cylinders to beat OSU on Saturday

TU only scored 17 points against the OSU starters. The last TD came against the second team and Freshmen in the fourth quarter garbage time.

Also, while it's true that OSU's wins over ORST and McNeese aren't impressive in and of themselves, but it should be noted that Gundy and Co. have been keeping the offense VERY vanilla. The Pokes haven't yet revealed some of the complexities of their new offense.

I'm sure the coaches would prefer to not have to open up the playbook against Tulsa. But they'll be more than willing to do it should TU put up much of a fight.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
TU only scored 17 points against the OSU starters. The last TD came against the second team and Freshmen in the fourth quarter garbage time.

Also, while it's true that OSU's wins over ORST and McNeese aren't impressive in and of themselves, but it should be noted that Gundy and Co. have been keeping the offense VERY vanilla. The Pokes haven't yet revealed some of the complexities of their new offense.

I'm sure the coaches would prefer to not have to open up the playbook against Tulsa. But they'll be more than willing to do it should TU put up much of a fight.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not a 10 point ball game . You can over value the Cowboys all you want , but with the bankroll they have for recruiting their linemen have been average for the last six years. Oregon State and McNeese both stink , so we’ll just have to see how “Little Old Tulsa” stacks up against the big bad “Orange Power”.

Spare me with that garbage.

The daily Oklahoma had an interview with jenny Carlson and OSUs beat writer and they both basically pushed this game to the side and said they expect ALL osu backups to be in by the 3rd quarter at the latest. I hope our team watches that.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
That is a great article.
I agree and I also think Tulsa is ready to step up and win tomorrow! With our defense playing hard nose lights out football and Smith throwing dimes at his receivers we can win this game! Let's not forget our offense must open holes and block like they never have before in order for this to happen! WE CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN GUYS! JUST DO IT!
GO CANES

The daily Oklahoma had an interview with jenny Carlson and OSUs beat writer and they both basically pushed this game to the side and said they expect ALL osu backups to be in by the 3rd quarter at the latest. I hope our team watches that.

97.1’s radio guys during the OU show all picked Tulsa to cover FWIW.

97.1’s radio guys during the OU show all picked Tulsa to cover FWIW.
May be talking the same thing, but, Mark Rogers on The Sports Animal picked OSU 30-27...........Personally, I think its going to be a dog fight....this is kind of a trap game for OSU with Texas coming up next weekend.......everyone has been pointing to that game as the key to our season and it always makes me nervous for the game prior when they do that....especially playing a rival type game

LOLOLOLOL they're insane -- it is most likely that OSU wins, but if Mich St. had to keep their starters in until late in the 4th quarter why would OSU be able to pull their starters by the 3rd??

This game is going to be a big test for both teams, we are the first defense OSU has played this year and they have the best offense we will play this year. I'm ready to see which teams strength is better.

OSU folks on here, this week we are enemies, but next week I'll be rooting for OSU to spank Texas.

Just couldn’t help yourself, could you?

Reactions: TigerCane16
[QUOTE.="SouthTulsaPoke, post: 264206, member: 6277"]TU only scored 17 points against the OSU starters. The last TD came against the second team and Freshmen in the fourth quarter garbage time.

I'm sure the coaches would prefer to not have to open up the playbook against Tulsa. But they'll be more than willing to do it should TU put up much of a fight.[/QUOTE]

I cannot believe that my first message on the board is going to be replying to an opp. fan's piece, but... This is the problem I am seeing with this game, hopefully the Cowboys take this like their fans. They are taking this extremely lightly as a fan base. I understand that they like to think of this as their lesser in state rivalry, but we have had far more success against Okie State than the last few encounters show. Also, they fail to remember the scares we gave OU and Texas on the road in '15 and '18, respectively. Until Mr. Lowe's cheap hit out-of-bounds on G.J., things were looking fairly competitive in 2011. Several of the radio shows, Chris, and most of the TU Twitter/Blog/Podcast guys are talking about this like it will be close; I think we have a shot to win.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
I also thought you had a chance to win. You were predicted to have about a 20% chance (4 to 1 against). It was about the same chance UCLA had to beat Oklahoma. You even had us concerned for a half. But you guys got out coached.

Gundy and crew went in at half time and made a simple defensive adjustment that completely shut you down in the second half. All he did was pull a safety down into the box to jam up your running lanes. When that worked to stop the runs you were getting in the second quarter, then the other DBs no longer had to keep an eye out for a RB breaking into the third tier, and were able to concentrate on staying with your receivers.

End result, OSU held the Hurricane runners to what? 32 yards in the second half? And 106 yards passing in the second half?

Our resources as one of the winningest P5 programs in the NCAA (#10 this decade), not only affords us better athletes (Hubbard leads the nation in rushing and Wallace leads the nation in receiving), but also allows us to pay for better coaches. Coaches that know how to make half-time adjustments.

See you next year in Stillwater.

Last edited:
Reactions: eastcane
I also thought you had a chance to win. You were predicted to have about a 20% chance (4 to 1 against). It was about the same chance UCLA had to beat Oklahoma. You even had us concerned for a half. But you guys got out coached.

Gundy and crew went in at half time and made a simple defensive adjustment that completely shut you down in the second half. All he did was pull a safety down into the box to jam up your running lanes. When that worked to stop the runs you were getting in the second quarter, then the other DBs no longer had to keep an eye out for a RB breaking into the third tier, and were able to concentrate on staying with your receivers.

End result, OSU held the Hurricane runners to what? 32 yards in the second half? And 106 yards passing in the second half?

Our resources as one of the winningest P5 programs in the NCAA (#10 this decade), not only affords us better athletes (Hubbard leads the nation in rushing and Wallace leads the nation in receiving), but also allows us to pay for better coaches. Coaches that know how to make half-time adjustments.

Also allows you those big 12 officials huh? Evert big play we had just SOMEHOW got called back, but I guess that was those million dollar halftime adjustments. Honestly, with your resources you should be much better than you are. But it is what it is. You’re nothing compared to OU so you gotta take it out on someone huh.

Nothing he said here is wrong... Any REAL offensive coach could have kept OSU on their toes... Monty sucks, doesn't take chances when he gets ahead and plays very scared, TU gets destroyed next year. We need to get Monty out of here.

Also allows you those big 12 officials huh? Evert big play we had just SOMEHOW got called back, but I guess that was those million dollar halftime adjustments. Honestly, with your resources you should be much better than you are. But it is what it is. You’re nothing compared to OU so you gotta take it out on someone huh.
Two of those big plays were called back for ineligible lineman down field, and each time they clearly were, it was not even close......its not the Refs fault, they have to call what they see.....as far as resources, we are similar to the other Big-12 teams aside from OU and Texas, and we generally stay ahead of those other programs, in fact we have dominated Texas ( we have won 5 our of the last 7, 3 in a row) so I think we are doing fine.........I would also like to ask...what has OU proven? They have also play three sub par team, and like us, did exactly what they were supposed to do......a couple notes on them........the Houston QB (King) had a poorer outing against Prairie View A&M's defense then he did against OU's, and if there is a team in the Pac-12 weaker than Oregon state, it is UCLA, they are horrible ......

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Two of those big plays were called back for ineligible lineman down field, and each time they clearly were, it was not even close......its not the Refs fault, they have to call what they see.....as far as resources, we are similar to the other Big-12 teams aside from OU and Texas, and we generally stay ahead of those other programs, in fact we have dominated Texas ( we have won 5 our of the last 7, 3 in a row) so I think we are doing fine.........I would also like to ask...what has OU proven? They have also play three sub par team, and like us, did exactly what they were supposed to do......a couple notes on them........the Houston QB (King) had a poorer outing against Prairie View A&M's defense then he did against OU's, and if there is a team in the Pac-12 weaker than Oregon state, it is UCLA, they are horrible ......
I don't think anyone is questioning scheduling UCLA or Oregon State. Those series were probably agreed to 7-8 years ago and there is simply no way to project how good or bad a particular team will be that far out. However the whole South Dakota/McNeese State scheduling is questionable. And no one is questioning OSU's playing a game at an in-state school. Bonus points for going on the road against an AAC team. More P5 schools are doing it and more get credit when they win those games rather than looked down on. The game was obviously closer than the final score.

BTW, ESPN rebroadcast the game last night and I watched the 1st half. The unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Trevis in the 1st half was complete garbage. How you pick one player out of that to give a penalty to is very questionable. And the stoppage in the 2Q when TU was running the ball down OSU's throat and had them gassed was also questionable. Even the ESPN crew had trouble figuring out why the side judge stopped the action and even noted that TU fans were upset and the analyst was like "They should be, that's the only thing slowing them down right now".

I don't think anyone is questioning scheduling UCLA or Oregon State. Those series were probably agreed to 7-8 years ago and there is simply no way to project how good or bad a particular team will be that far out. However the whole South Dakota/McNeese State scheduling is questionable. And no one is questioning OSU's playing a game at an in-state school. Bonus points for going on the road against an AAC team. More P5 schools are doing it and more get credit when they win those games rather than looked down on. The game was obviously closer than the final score.

BTW, ESPN rebroadcast the game last night and I watched the 1st half. The unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Trevis in the 1st half was complete garbage. How you pick one player out of that to give a penalty to is very questionable. And the stoppage in the 2Q when TU was running the ball down OSU's throat and had them gassed was also questionable. Even the ESPN crew had trouble figuring out why the side judge stopped the action and even noted that TU fans were upset and the analyst was like "They should be, that's the only thing slowing them down right now".

Yep. Gundy had the officials in his pocket. It was very obvious. The penalty on Trevis was unreal bad.

There were also two huge Unsportsmanlike penalties against OSU , that no one can explain, ....one we had stopped you on third down, the play was over both teams totally separated almost back to each other's bench, and they threw a flag and you guys got a first down....so it happened both ways..........right after we stopped you on 4th down we got the ball back on our 10, we ran a play for no gain, then got a delay of game penalty......go re watch that play......they set the play clock back to 25 seconds instead of 40........it happens both ways

Other than having the last two Heisman winners with a third seemingly on his way, not much I guess. :D
You are smart enough to know that has nothing to do with how they do this year.........they still have not played anyone........in fact OSU and OUs schedules are almost identical as far as strength of competition, and both schools did exactly what was expected...........I want to see OSU actually play someone ( not saying Tulsa is a nobody, it was a bigtime trap game for us and we usually get your best shot) and they will this week, and I want to see OU play someone, which we have to wait a few more weeks.........

[QUOTE.="SouthTulsaPoke, post: 264206, member: 6277"]TU only scored 17 points against the OSU starters. The last TD came against the second team and Freshmen in the fourth quarter garbage time.

I cannot believe that my first message on the board is going to be replying to an opp. fan's piece, but... This is the problem I am seeing with this game, hopefully the Cowboys take this like their fans. They are taking this extremely lightly as a fan base. I understand that they like to think of this as their lesser in state rivalry, but we have had far more success against Okie State than the last few encounters show. Also, they fail to remember the scares we gave OU and Texas on the road in '15 and '18, respectively. Until Mr. Lowe's cheap hit out-of-bounds on G.J., things were looking fairly competitive in 2011. Several of the radio shows, Chris, and most of the TU Twitter/Blog/Podcast guys are talking about this like it will be close; I think we have a shot to win.[/QUOTE]

The penalty you cite was clearly against the rules. College linemen (any of them) may not drift more than 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. In the Pros, it's only one.

There has always been a tendency for Art Briles teams, and those that emulate his system, to abuse this rule. Briles got away with it in the Big 12 for a couple of years, until the other Big 12 coaches complained to the Big 12 officials. Briles would throw a kanipshin fit every time it was called, but eventually, he adjusted his RPO schemes, but he was never quite as efficient after the rule began to be called as written.

My guess is, the AAC officials, not being as sensitive to it, have been letting Montgomery and TU get away with it, too. If Gundy had any affect on the officials in this game, it would probably be that he and his staff saw this on film and alerted the Big 12 officials, who were already knowledgeable about the rule with regard to RPO offenses.

If Trevis had block like he did and Smith had run the ball, no problem. The problem for RPO QBs is they can't pull the trigger on the pass part of the RPO, if their line moves out too far. Once he threw the ball, ANY lineman more than three yards beyond the LOS must be flagged.

Them's the rules.

You are smart enough to know that has nothing to do with how they do this year.........they still have not played anyone........in fact OSU and OUs schedules are almost identical as far as strength of competition, and both schools did exactly what was expected...........I want to see OSU actually play someone ( not saying Tulsa is a nobody, it was a bigtime trap game for us and we usually get your best shot) and they will this week, and I want to see OU play someone, which we have to wait a few more weeks.........
I'm not a huge Gooner fan, but they played a solid Houston squad, and I'll bet when they signed the contact with UCLA both thought it would be a marquee name (surprise, UCLA SUCKS!). South Dakota was a joke of course. They'll have some challenges in the Big 12. You've got to remember that significant minutes have been played by the the Gooner back up QB. Don't think the pokes have had that same lucurt.

TU did not lose the game due to officiating. Only calls that I really questioned were the pass interference call and the unsportsmanlike penalties in the first half but every game has those. The bottom line is Grundy made adjustments and stopped our running game and our coach did not adjust. I am has big of a TU fan as anyone but coaching adjustments were the bottom line in deciding the game results.

I'm not a huge Gooner fan, but they played a solid Houston squad, and I'll bet when they signed the contact with UCLA both thought it would be a marquee name (surprise, UCLA SUCKS!). South Dakota was a joke of course. They'll have some challenges in the Big 12. You've got to remember that significant minutes have been played by the the Gooner back up QB. Don't think the pokes have had that same lucurt.
The same 1-3 Houston team?...........if there is a team in the Pac-12 weaker than Oregon state, it would be UCLA.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT