ADVERTISEMENT

OSU series extension

There are 3 nuggets on the GoPokes Board. I have to admit one has to read between the lines a bit as OSU doesn't want to tout TU too much, nor mock TU as a "gimme" game.

"The logic is Oklahoma State is in a conference and in a period of college football scheduling where peer and conference pressure is going to discourage you from scheduling FCS opponents in the future."

3. Based on Go Pokes and another OSU article I saw some time ago on GoPokes or Pistols Firing, I am of the strong belief OSU is going to make more money of the TU/OSU home and home series than scheduling schools like South Alabama or Missouri State. In that older article, the writer was stating that the guarantees OSU had to pay were expensive....so that is the reason for the FCS schools on the OSU schedule. That is not said on GoPokes. What we have is a parsing of words.

For all these reasons, both schools will financially benefit. "Saving" money as stated by GoPokes really means making MORE money!!! OSU cannot bring itself to admitting that playing Tulsa earns more money for OSU. From GoPokes:

First --- Law Poke is correct. Actually, the TU series will virtually guarantee that OSU will have to schedule an FCS school every other year to keep a six game home schedule which they have promised the Stillwater City merchants they will do.

Second -- I believe you are giving the posters on the OSU message boards too much credibility.

Third -- Those OSU games with Missouri State, Arkansas State, South Alabama, Central Michigan etc. were two for one games. Based on ticket prices, OSU takes in about $5,000,000 or more per home game.

To simplify this example I am going to use a six year time period.

So those 2 for 1 games will make OSU $20 million ( 4 home games x $5 million) over 6 years. Playing TU home and home over 6 years will make OSU $15 million. ( 3 home games x $5 million). A $5 million dollar difference over 6 years. The travel expenses are basically a wash.

So OSU is in effect making less money playing TU home and home vs 2 for 1 games with other G5 schools.

Last edited:
If this logic is inexorable, then why is OSU doing it? I don't think you're accounting for the big unknown - the BOK sponsorship.

If this logic is inexorable, then why is OSU doing it? I don't think you're accounting for the big unknown - the BOK sponsorship.

I do not know why OSU is doing it. Mike Holder once told me, he would not settle for anything less than a 2 for 1. Is there a BOK sponsorship? IDK.

That is easy to do. It is proven by the seating chart. Look at it.

That was fun.

Ah yes, I should have known better.

You prove it lil cowboy. Not try and get me to count 27,500 seats which includes the areas that don't have assigned seats. That's how it works in real life. You made an assertion now it's up to you to prove it.

I do not know why OSU is doing it. Mike Holder once told me, he would not settle for anything less than a 2 for 1. Is there a BOK sponsorship? IDK.

You started with out a clue. You at least admitted you finished with out one. Go ask Holder.

You prove it lil cowboy. Not try and get me to count 27,500 seats which includes the areas that don't have assigned seats. That's how it works in real life. You made an assertion now it's up to you to prove it.

I just did.

Last edited:
I know this for a fact, because we counted them----twice. If you do not believe me count them your self. It only took two of us about 90 minutes.

Bragging that you only wasted 90 minutes counting every seat in an opponent's stadium is such an incredible self-own that I may have to retire from making Poke jokes. I can't possibly top that.

And how did he count the club / box seating eh???

I just did.

No, you made a claim, your opinion is not evidence.

I'm not sure if you attended OSU, but what does it say that I wouldn't be surprised if you did and still don't understand how you prove an arguement or premise?

I mean you did have football players who never learned to read or barely could and were at OSU for years......

Most of you guys haven't been here long enough to remember but we had a poster actually count the seats and post in detail the results when the stadium was renovated. I don't recall the exact number. There aren't 30k but I don't believe the number was 27,500 either. The company line has always been "we can get 30k in the stadium" and deflect as to committing to an actual seat number.

Most of you guys haven't been here long enough to remember but we had a poster actually count the seats and post in detail the results when the stadium was renovated. I don't recall the exact number. There aren't 30k but I don't believe the number was 27,500 either. The company line has always been "we can get 30k in the stadium" and deflect as to committing to an actual seat number.
Correct. the 30 includes standing room in the suites and the outdoor plaza areas, some of which are now being used for other things. Actually sitting down is probably in the 28,500 range

Correct. the 30 includes standing room in the suites and the outdoor plaza areas, some of which are now being used for other things. Actually sitting down is probably in the 28,500 range
I would be ecstatic if we could get 23k to every game this season. And seriously, for optics sake, please push people to the center of the stadium on the east side.

I would be ecstatic if we could get 23k to every game this season. And seriously, for optics sake, please push people to the center of the stadium on the east side.
I’m good with 20K. Ecstatic is people caring enough about TU football to stand up for four hours in the rain again because we have a legit shot to beat OSU and people don’t want to miss it rather than turning down an SRO ticket to watch it at home.

We (Monty) has a lot of work to do. This series will move the needle. How far it moves will be up to our on field product.

Reactions: TU4ever2

I believe they have done the GA seating over there for just this reason. A smart move since people will try to take the first best seat in these situations.

Jeez I wonder who that could have been?

Perhaps someone screaming bloody murder about it when they updated the stadium and we went from a rough 33k plan to everything we've got is 30k.

The stadium seating is just over 27,500. Not including suites, case, standing room, sidelines, etc.

Technically according to Bubba we didn't have standing room only and the opening game of the stadium was suppose to be the only time for it. Realistically there is only one large area for SRO since they have filled in the gaps between the stands with landscaping. There is a little room left on the hill along the edges of the endzone bleachers.

In high school I loved watching from those areas.

I’m good with 20K. Ecstatic is people caring enough about TU football to stand up for four hours in the rain again because we have a legit shot to beat OSU and people don’t want to miss it rather than turning down an SRO ticket to watch it at home.

We (Monty) has a lot of work to do. This series will move the needle. How far it moves will be up to our on field product.

I agree baby steps are likely and our average has been down lately. Averaging over 20k would be a good start this year, of course we aren't likely to turn people away and Bla's 23k would be delightful and a good target.

Nice burn, u are so funny.

Not a burn, just a truthful saying in such situations.

Like Facebook who doesn't have a product, because the "user" is the product.

Or knowing a con is happening but unable to figure out who the mark is.

Or knowing there is always an ugly member of the family and struggling to figure out who it is... it's probably you.

Not a burn, just a truthful saying in such situations.

Like Facebook who doesn't have a product, because the "user" is the product.

Or knowing a con is happening but unable to figure out who the mark is.

Or knowing there is always an ugly member of the family and struggling to figure out who it is... it's probably you.
You are so wise.

No, you made a claim, your opinion is not evidence.

I'm not sure if you attended OSU, but what does it say that I wouldn't be surprised if you did and still don't understand how you prove an arguement or premise?

I mean you did have football players who never learned to read or barely could and were at OSU for years......
Just for the record, it was one player and that was 45 years ago.......and .......I was friends with his room mate who said it was BS anyway, he was just trying to get sympathy from a judge......which is anther story in itself

You have asked a valid question. For the record, there are 420 club seats, 124 box seats and 570 suite seats.
Some people who haven't been around for awhile will be completely shocked you know that.

Bragging that you only wasted 90 minutes counting every seat in an opponent's stadium is such an incredible self-own that I may have to retire from making Poke jokes. I can't possibly top that.

I was not bragging and the time was not wasted. A $100 bet, that know I can win with 90 minutes of my time, I will take that any time.

I was not bragging and the time was not wasted. A $100 bet, that know I can win with 90 minutes of my time, I will take that any time.

Lot of talk, no source or proof.

16hrs between to keep it going.

Congrats? While we're playing internet detective, I noticed when quoting your posts that you're a big fan of triple- and quadruple-spacing after punctuation similar to another poke on this board. Are the spacebars especially sticky in the OSU library?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT