ADVERTISEMENT

OSU series extension

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
Becomes a legit home and home series in 2024!

I know we bash Gragg a lot, but he's done well a couple of times and this is one of them. I think the 1-1-1 with KState in bball was a really good move by our athletic department as was getting home and home series with OSU in both basketball and football.

It's a little late for April fool's jokes. I will believe it when it's officially announced.

We are going to get a lot of miles out of that glib remark. That comment might last longer than her tenure at the Tulsa World. Sure would like to know if kelly/candy cat was her.

Last edited:
Becomes a legit home and home series in 2024!

I know we bash Gragg a lot, but he's done well a couple of times and this is one of them. I think the 1-1-1 with KState in bball was a really good move by our athletic department as was getting home and home series with OSU in both basketball and football.
How long is the basketball series with OSU supposed to last?

lots of discussion on the pay board
details of the series in Haisten article in TW today
I think a poster above is right that BOK $$ made this happen and perhaps a thought by OSU that they would rather pound TU than Missouri State/South Alabama/etc.
Still, I wonder who made the ask to Ken Levit? Could it be his criticized spouse, our Provost, Janet? I know he heads the Kaiser Foundation, but it's fair to regard BOK and Kaiser as one pocket of money.

Was your questioning of that incident w/ Tuloma omniscient, or did you have inside knowledge?

Burnsie smarted off about OSU leading up to the 2000 game. There was still one game remaining in the series after that, but the Cowboys promptly delayed it and it didn't occur until 2004 after Burns was gone. The story at the time was that OSU would never let a Burns coached team in their stadium and was prepared to cancel the home game if necessary. I just wondered if Tuloma had heard the same thing.

I had also heard that the series would have continued on an annual basis had he not ran his mouth about them. People here like to complain about Blankenship, but Burns was far worse and caused much more damage during his tenure.

My access to inside info passed on a few years ago. Now I just guess or make stuff up like everyone else.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Was it all part of the same package? I didn't see where this new deal was for basketball?
The basketball series is the one that's going on now. It hasn't been extended. But, for the time being, it seems like it will be.

Burnsie smarted off about OSU leading up to the 2000 game. There was still one game remaining in the series after that, but the Cowboys promptly delayed it and it didn't occur until 2004 after Burns was gone. The story at the time was that OSU would never let a Burns coached team in their stadium and was prepared to cancel the home game if necessary. I just wondered if Tuloma had heard the same thing.

I had also heard that the series would have continued on an annual basis had he not ran his mouth about them. People here like to complain about Blankenship, but Burns was far worse and caused much more damage during his tenure.

My access to inside info passed on a few years ago. Now I just guess or make stuff up like everyone else.
I know the story. I just thought it seemed prescient that you mentioned it just days before the new deal was announced.

It is official official now:

59910833_10157003561597435_8931446850662170624_o.jpg

There are 3 nuggets on the GoPokes Board. I have to admit one has to read between the lines a bit as OSU doesn't want to tout TU too much, nor mock TU as a "gimme" game.

1. The Tulsa World reported that TU/OSU negotiations have been going on for three years. The World did not explain this length of time. But GoPokes explained why. Tulsa was insisting on home/and home and would not sign a 2/1 deal. From GoPokes:

"Mike Gundy's teams didn't play them (Tulsa) for awhile during the same time period that Tulsa was holding out for a home and home and Oklahoma State found other options like Missouri State, Central Arkansas, Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic Louisiana, etc."

2. Following out from above, Tulsa is an upgrade in OSU's schedule. There is pressure within the B12 to upgrade the schedule, especially since there are only 10 teams. The following quote is essentially criticizing OSU's scheduling of Missouri State, South Alabama, etc. OSU won't admit that so they use FCS in the quote below.

"The logic is Oklahoma State is in a conference and in a period of college football scheduling where peer and conference pressure is going to discourage you from scheduling FCS opponents in the future."

3. Based on Go Pokes and another OSU article I saw some time ago on GoPokes or Pistols Firing, I am of the strong belief OSU is going to make more money of the TU/OSU home and home series than scheduling schools like South Alabama or Missouri State. In that older article, the writer was stating that the guarantees OSU had to pay were expensive....so that is the reason for the FCS schools on the OSU schedule. That is not said on GoPokes. What we have is a parsing of words.

Travel costs are minimal, the stadiums will be full, and the game will be on ESPN, something not true playing FCS teams. For example, OSU plays McNeese State and that will be on ESPN+. For all these reasons, both schools will financially benefit. "Saving" money as stated by GoPokes really means making MORE money!!! OSU cannot bring itself to admitting that playing Tulsa earns more money for OSU. From GoPokes:

"Another reason that the scheduling of Tulsa makes sense is it may not make Oklahoma State a lot of money, but it saves money."

4. It makes future nonconference scheduling easier for OSU and Tulsa. Neither school has to search as hard because one nonconference game is locked up for the next 8 years. This is not a "nugget" but common sense that should have been followed years ago by OSU.

Last edited:
I would argue the series almost guarantees that OSU will schedule a FCS school every other year not the other way around. The Big12 has dictated that it’s members have a P5 team on their schedule. Those are of course home and home contracts. Big12 schools only play 4 home conference games every other year. Thus with two home and home series on the schedule you must buy a home game every other year to reach six. Those buy games are almost always against FCS opponents or very low level D1 programs.

No clue about the money aspect. A home game brings OSU more than $4M in ticket revenue. No idea what the financial details of this contract are or what BOK is paying for the naming rights.

I would argue the series almost guarantees that OSU will schedule a FCS school every other year not the other way around. The Big12 has dictated that it’s members have a P5 team on their schedule. Those are of course home and home contracts. Big12 schools only play 4 home conference games every other year. Thus with two home and home series on the schedule you must buy a home game every other year to reach six. Those buy games are almost always against FCS opponents or very low level D1 programs.

No clue about the money aspect. A home game brings OSU more than $4M in ticket revenue. No idea what the financial details of this contract are or what BOK is paying for the naming rights.
I thought I saw where the home team keeps 100% of the gate minus the road teams expenses.

I haven't noticed anyone bringing this up so I will point it out and give Gragg yet another pat on the back.

Our home schedule for conference games

Odd years:
Memphis
Navy
Houston
UCF/Temple (Arguably the best two East teams)

Even years:
SMU
Tulane
ECU/UConn
Cincinnati/USF

By adding OSU to the even years the schedules will be attractive for casual fans and should be pretty balanced. This year is a bit of an overload with OSU, UCF, Houston, Navy, and Memphis. Spreading the games out is a smart move.

B1G banned FCS opponents but then relented and changed the rule. With a 9 game schedule, a B1G team (and B12) team will be in a 4 home games and 5 home games rotation over a two year period. So B1G now allows scheduling a FCS game for the year with only 4 home conference games. The Penn State/Temple scheduling of games was made possible by the FCS rule game.

I thought I saw where the home team keeps 100% of the gate minus the road teams expenses.
Yes, which has me speculating in my head that GKSS/BOK has agreed to cover any loss to TU on this deal.

It seems like a break even deal at best with any tv money being the only chance at profit.

We get nothing over there and give OSU the first $10 paid for every ticket over here if we sell out, more if we don’t.

So we have to hike prices over here AND sell out.

Steep climb these days. If we don’t, in some ways we will be little more than a gate agent at our own stadium collecting money for OSU to beat us.

Win and nobody will notice what that victory cost. Lose, and the tearing of garments and gnashing of teeth will begin again.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Yes, which has me speculating in my head that GKSS/BOK has agreed to cover any loss to TU on this deal.

It seems like a break even deal at best with any tv money being the only chance at profit.

We get nothing over there and give OSU the first $10 paid for every ticket over here if we sell out, more if we don’t.

Steep climb these days. If we don’t, in some ways we will be little more than a gate agent at our own stadium collecting money for OSU to beat us.

Win and nobody will notice what that victory cost. Lose, and the tearing of garments and gnashing of teeth will begin again.
That's not how the article read for this agreement. It read they keep their home profits and we keep ours.

Haisten article says home team keeps entire gate (tickets, concessions) and pays away team $300K for expenses. With TV revenue and the stability of the schedule with a P5 home game every other year, this is a win for TU. Plus who knows how much sponsorship money there will be.
For OSU, it takes the pressure off of schedule two FCS or SunBelt type games. The OSU fans I talk with are happy about the game and looking forward to coming to TU every other year. And, of course, they expect to win.

That's not how the article read for this agreement. It read they keep their home profits and we keep ours.
What he’s saying is with the $300,000 in expenses and a 30,000 seat stadium a sellout means $10 from each ticket will go to OSU. With a larger stadium OSU will keep more money per ticket. I personally don’t see that as a big deal in the scheme of things.

What he’s saying is with the $300,000 in expenses and a 30,000 seat stadium a sellout means $10 from each ticket will go to OSU. With a larger stadium OSU will keep more money per ticket. I personally don’t see that as a big deal in the scheme of things.
One thing to take into account is that a lot of OSU fans will attend the game in Tulsa ( same with Tulsa fans will come to Stillwater, it is always one of our better draws) so you guys could up the ticket prices.....unfortunately we pay in access of $100 for our cheapest tickets, you could up your price to $60-$75 and we would still fill the place

One thing to take into account is that a lot of OSU fans will attend the game in Tulsa ( same with Tulsa fans will come to Stillwater, it is always one of our better draws) so you guys could up the ticket prices.....unfortunately we pay in access of $100 for our cheapest tickets, you could up your price to $60-$75 and we would still fill the place
We hiked the prices and we didn’t sell OU out last time as I recall. It was close but there were still tickets at the walk up. Your program is similarly situated. I’d be surprised if we brought less than 5,000 to Stillwater unless we are still going 2-10. That crowd is better than many if not most traveling Big 12 crowds at this point.

We hiked the prices and we didn’t sell OU out last time as I recall. It was close but there were still tickets at the walk up. Your program is similarly situated. I’d be surprised if we brought less than 5,000 to Stillwater unless we are still going 2-10. That crowd is better than many if not most traveling Big 12 crowds at this point.
29,400(appr) was close enough to sold out. We would have probably lost money if we dropped the ticket price enough to sell it out.

This is a really a good deal for TU. It is a standard Big12 contract. The home team keeps all the receipts and the visiting team gets $300,000. Same as contracts with OU, Texas. TCU etc, I am very surprised Holder agreed to it.

First thing is, Chapman stadium seats 25,193.

I know this for a fact, because we counted them----twice. If you do not believe me count them your self. It only took two of us about 90 minutes. That includes all seats, suites, club seats, box seats, and handicap seats. There is really is no standing room only at Chapman, even though the seating charts shows a very small area. The areas next to the Case Center might accommodate a couple hundred. The Case center is not a part of the stadium and at best the Fire Marshall would allow no more than a couple of hundred.

So if TU sells out the stadium of 25,000 for $75 per ticket to the OSU game they take in $1,875,000 plus concessions and programs etc.

Ticket prices for most TU games average about $25 each. Attendance is usually around 17,500. So they take in roughly $437,500.

A difference of $1,437,500. Plus they sometime tie season ticket sales or mini season ticket sales to the OSU game. Which increases their revenue.

The travel expenses are a wash, since both teams get the same amount.

The last time TU played at OSU the TU ticket office told me they sold about 600 tickets to the game.. Some TU fans argued that many TU fans bought their tickets from OSU to get better seats. The visiting team seats at OSU were as good or better than buying a single game ticket.

I have attended the TU games at OSU for many years and the TU crowd is hard to find.

You get $300,000 when you play over there.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The last time TU played at OSU the TU ticket office told me they sold about 600 tickets to the game.. Some TU fans argued that many TU fans bought their tickets from OSU to get better seats. The visiting team seats at OSU were as good or better than buying a single game ticket.

I have attended the TU games at OSU for many years and the TU crowd is hard to find.

Yes of course, that's why our games are so highly attended in Stillwater right?

Tulsa's stadium seats 27,500 including everything. Standing room only gets you to 28,000. It has been claimed at 30,000 before. Which is the sell out number.

Holder agreed to it because it makes sense, guaranteed TV, short trip, good home crowd, basic deal. The same reasons it's good for Tulsa.

I guess this means we need a bigger stadium!

Yes of course, that's why our games are so highly attended in Stillwater right?

Tulsa's stadium seats 27,500 including everything. Standing room only gets you to 28,000. It has been claimed at 30,000 before. Which is the sell out number.

Holder agreed to it because it makes sense, guaranteed TV, short trip, good home crowd, basic deal. The same reasons it's good for Tulsa.

It does not seat 27,500 and that can be proved.

Last game I went to a game in Stillwater the TU section seats were so skinny that a kindergartener would have found them uncomfortable. After that I never went back. Some TU fans bought stadium seats and they were to wide for the space allotted and had to be returned.

All the bleacher seats in the stadium were ridiculous skinny. Thankfully, they now have been widened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT