ADVERTISEMENT

Only a few years ago

mvccane

I.T.S. Position Coach
Mar 10, 2004
Don't know how I got the channel but watching BYU television - and the replay of our bowl game a few years ago.

The first drive of the game doesn't even remotely resemble how predictable and boring bb's offense eventually became. In that first drive, BYU was on its heels with speed sweeps, QB keepers, passes both of the short/intermediate variety - I was still seeing some resemblance of Gus or Chad. I know that this was just the first drive of a frustrating game - and I know Kinne was a great quarterback and our offensive line was way better, but it's amazing to see how bb regressed as a play caller.

Originally posted by mvccane:
Don't know how I got the channel but watching BYU television - and the replay of our bowl game a few years ago.

The first drive of the game doesn't even remotely resemble how predictable and boring bb's offense eventually became. In that first drive, BYU was on its heels with speed sweeps, QB keepers, passes both of the short/intermediate variety - I was still seeing some resemblance of Gus or Chad. I know that this was just the first drive of a frustrating game - and I know Kinne was a great quarterback and our offensive line was way better, but it's amazing to see how bb regressed as a play caller.
That game was lost on a bonehead coaching call to send out the punt returner to field the ball inside the ten yard line just a few seconds before the first half ended. One of the dumbest things I've ever seen on a FB field. We fumbled the punt and gave them the ball back near the goal line and BYU scored just before the half. DUMB!

And Kinne was the running threat at QB we never have had since then and obviously were not going to have again.

No. It's was a sophomore special teams player who had not returned a punt that year (Trey and maybe Marco had taken most of the PR duties that year). If the ST coach had told him to not touch it, he didn't listen.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

That's it. Thanks. I couldn't remember his name. I do remember that I was sitting right there and screaming at him to jet it go. Bone head play.

Originally posted by jerandlaur:
That's it. Thanks. I couldn't remember his name. I do remember that I was sitting right there and screaming at him to jet it go. Bone head play.
IMO the bonehead was whoever told Ratliff to go out there in the first place. Some coach I guess.

I disagree. You send someone deep but they need to know to stay away from the ball. You don't get to play FBS ball without knowing something and even young football players are taught when to field the punt and when to let it go.

Originally posted by jerandlaur:
I disagree. You send someone deep but they need to know to stay away from the ball. You don't get to play FBS ball without knowing something and even young football players are taught when to field the punt and when to let it go.
The thing to do was for the coach to "remind" that player to let the ball go imo. But again, if you look at it and use Murphies Law, that evidently wasn't applied. Its akin to a coach telling the QB to throw a risky sideline pattern holding a 6 point lead with three seconds on the clock instead of just downing it in the victory formation. Doesn't make sense

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT