ADVERTISEMENT

Official South Carolina Game Thread

Oh well decent effort in the second half but you can't expect to come back against a SEC team when you are down 14 or 16.

This won't be perceived as a bad loss in March. I think Indiana State might end up being a better win than expected.

In other news UCA beat UTSA.

How did two giant Lithiuanians end up in Columbia South Carolina?
It is called recruiting and still waiting for some at Tulsa. Very disappointing, we have wing NCAA run talent but not much inside and we knew that was needed but no help with recruiting.

Got down 10 in first and 16 in the second...don't understand the slow starts. That's usually expected from a young team.

We're better than SC but it shouldn't turn out to be a bad loss i.e. SEOSU and ORU last year

The zone offense has to improve if TU is to contend for the AAC Championship. This dribble/drive NBA crap only works against man-man defense.

A good zone offense starts by feeding the big at the FT line, running the baseline/clearing the wings from sideline to sideline. It takes a lot of stamina to run a good zone for 40 min, beating the defenders to the open spots/lanes. Because TU runs out so much off defensive boards, IMO they ran out of gas in the half court in the final 5-6 mins. Three tough games in 4 days, 4 in 7 days will do that.

TX

Last edited:
Reactions: Gold*
Three games in four days is hard this early in year. But this beats a Wojcik schedule where we would have played five dogs out of gate, then a D2 team, then lose two or three in early season tournament.

Good thoughts on zone offense.

I just don't think we have had a good game plan against anyone so far other than Wichita. Our bigs aren't super talented (well, Wright may be but that's another story), but they excel at executing a good game plan, especially on defense. Swannegan is usually much tougher than this. I'm not seeing the cerebral game down low at all.

The thing that gives me some hope is we actually did a decent job rebounding.

It's just the lack of energy out of the gate and lack of clear game plan. It's like we just try to hang around until other team gets tired and hope Shaq will dunk all over their asses with his poisonous gasses.

We need a third or fourth option on offense. Could be Birt. Could be Taplin.

Marqel is playing good ball.

I guess Brown and played to generate some energy. He's s nice player but I don't see much on offense yet. He reminds me of Reese or Peete.

Seems to me Haith left Swannegan on an island, I was expecting some front side help, especially once Swannegan got into foul trouble.

TX

I like what the NCAA is trying to do with hand checking, that had gotten way out of control, but to couple that with the increased blocking calls is not working. Hopefully they relax on the blocking calls as the season moves forward. If you can't use your hands you should be able to put yourself in between the guy you are guarding and the basket to stop the dribble drive.

The zone offense has to improve if TU is to contend for the AAC Championship. This dribble/drive NBA crap only works against man-man defense.

A good zone offense starts by feeding the big at the FT line, running the baseline/clearing the wings from sideline to sideline. It takes a lot of stamina to run a good zone for 40 min, beating the defenders to the open spots/lanes. Because TU runs out so much off defensive boards, IMO they ran out of gas in the half court in the final 5-6 mins. Three tough games in 4 days, 4 in 7 days will do that.

TX
You have to hit those wide open 3's against the their zone, at the free throw line shoot or drive and dish. If TU had that aircraft carrier in the middle they would be unstoppable.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Is it just me or is Frank Martin a complete thug? Minus the seat tossing, I have not seen a coach like that since Bobby Knight. I mean he was just ripping his players. He has a scary demeanor. I never watched his K-State teams much.

The foul calls on Swannegan were all time bad calls. What about that foul where Curtis had position on a blockout and they called a foul? Possibly one of the worst I have ever seen. was throwing the remote.

Besides the reffing though, we just looked like dog poop at first. We were forcing horrible shots, and they were playing fairly good defense. We kept them off the boards well enough but our offense looked like 6th graders going against high schoolers. It was shockingly bad.

Those big white inside guys were really good. They could go inside and outside.

I'm not sure why we started games in this tournament slow, but I think reinserting Curtis in the starting lineup will help with that. Maybe we were tired I dunno.

Won't be a bad loss on paper, and we've already got 1 marquee win, so we are in pretty solid shape. Just need to get a few days rest and take the frustration out on Yooler.

The foul call on Curtis boxing out was all time bad. What about where their dude 4 steps and they gave him the NBA continuation and 1? It was really hard to complete they comeback when they continually were calling ticky tack BS on swannegan, which were absolutely HORRID.

I actually started laughing at the intentional foul they called on Curtis. What a complete joke.

I really like this team we just have to get off to better starts.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
The intentional foul on curtis was exactly that. They got that one right. I have a love hate with Curtis. He plays some nice defense at times, he creates on offense and then will miss a wide open layup. Kind of like Dion Waiters.

My issue is they spent a minute earlier in the game explaining why that intentional foul cal was no longer a rule. There is no clear path foul in college. Curtis' foul wasn't hard. It's no different than than the one earlier in the game where Juice was glued, other than Juice was actually fouled harder.

Come no Goldfan, you're better than this. The intentional foul call was completely bogus.

This is nepats posting under alias btw.

Is it just me or is Frank Martin a complete thug? Minus the seat tossing, I have not seen a coach like that since Bobby Knight. I mean he was just ripping his players. He has a scary demeanor. I never watched his K-State teams much.

The foul calls on Swannegan were all time bad calls. What about that foul where Curtis had position on a blockout and they called a foul? Possibly one of the worst I have ever seen. was throwing the remote.

Besides the reffing though, we just looked like dog poop at first. We were forcing horrible shots, and they were playing fairly good defense. We kept them off the boards well enough but our offense looked like 6th graders going against high schoolers. It was shockingly bad.

Those big white inside guys were really good. They could go inside and outside.

Frank Martin's days in Miami HS basketball, before he took the K-State gig, were frought with controversey. I won't be surprised if So Carolina is on propation in the near future.

GO TU!!!!

Honestly didn't hate the officiating. Whoever compared Curtis to Waiters is spot on. He's a roller coaster ride. High highs and low lows. On the intentional, he didn't make any play on the ball which is what really drew the call. The only things I saw that were missed calls were things like Juice and & Shaq repeatedly getting bumped on their drives to the rim and there being no calls when there should have been shooting fouls. Swannegan was too aggressive, and Curtis was mismatched on D as was Birt.

Speaking of officiating, what's Birt's deal on the travels? Is that stutter step something he was getting away with before? The second one wasn't as obvious to me as the first...

Speaking of officiating, what's Birt's deal on the travels? Is that stutter step something he was getting away with before? The second one wasn't as obvious to me as the first...

The 1st one he dragged his pivot foot. The 2nd was a slight stutter step with his pivot foot. I didn't think they were violations but watched over and over and the calls were correct.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
My favorite call of the night was their big foreign dude driving to the lane, taking 4 steps, fouled on the ground, and they gave him the NBA continuation call.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
My issue is they spent a minute earlier in the game explaining why that intentional foul cal was no longer a rule. There is no clear path foul in college. Curtis' foul wasn't hard. It's no different than than the one earlier in the game where Juice was glued, other than Juice was actually fouled harder.

There was no play on the ball as he was going towards the basket. It is an easy call. Sixth grade middle school refs would call that one.

Gold's problem with that call is that there was a more egregious foul on Juice earlier when he was on a break and it was called a common foul.

The foul called on Curtis should have been a common foul and not a flagrant 1, IMO. He reached across the players body for the ball, he did not grab the player. If college wants to add a common path foul, I'm all for it, but it needs to be defined in the rule book and not be subjective.

As it stands now Curtis' foul can easily be ruled as a Flagrant 1, due to the absolutely terrible language of a Flagrant 1 foul (see below). A ref can easily make an argument that most any personal foul is excessive or unnecessary.

Flagrant 1 personal foul. A flagrant 1 personal foul is a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but is not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
  1. Causing excessive contact with an opponent;
  2. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
  3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score;

Might as well push this one towards 200.

Curtis got the call because of optics. It doesn't look like you're making a play for the ball. Hug a guy on a fastbreak and it's flagrant. Slash his arm and it's not. Has little to do with how hard the foul is. I don't agree, but that's the way it's called.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT