ADVERTISEMENT

Official practice

Will most of the earlier practices be open to the public? Have past practices drawn crowds? The real fans should be anxious to see the team come together.

Reactions: Aboomer
Will most of the earlier practices be open to the public? Have past practices drawn crowds? The real fans should be anxious to see the team come together.
Are you a relative of an incoming freshman?

Welcome bigstar, glad to have you here. We have a few players relatives here, it's always nice to get the insiders view.

Reactions: Midwest11

Welcome big star. Many of us can’t attend practices, but we do have plenty of real fans here.

Good to hear, we caught part of the Temple game last year and the atmosphere was not what I expected.

Good to hear, we caught part of the Temple game last year and the atmosphere was not what I expected.
If you have any ideas we'd love to hear them. A week after beating Notre Dame in 2010, TU only had about 18k show up. I was expecting a giant crowd and was disappointed. We have a very fickle fan base and we just don't attract casual fans for some reason.

Thanksgiving weekend is always a hard sell. Tulsa seems to make a habit of having home games on holiday weekends when fans have other commitments. Friday nights during the high school season are also a bad draw.

At least this year we have a couple of Saturday night games.

Reactions: ShaneB72
TU attendance has been struggling for awhile. We averaged 18,458 last season which is among the lowest I can recall. Navy was the only game which we topped the 20k mark. Pretty tough when we can't get 18k in the stands for the season opener.

If you have any ideas we'd love to hear them. A week after beating Notre Dame in 2010, TU only had about 18k show up. I was expecting a giant crowd and was disappointed. We have a very fickle fan base and we just don't attract casual fans for some reason.
To be fair we never drew more than 21k that season. It was a weird year. I suspect the recession of the past two years had something to do with it.

Also, it was against Rice lol.

A lot of our attendance issues have to do with what days and times we're playing on as well as the opponent. Give us a game against a decent named opponent on a Saturday, at 7Pm, when we have a decent record and we'll get between 22 and 30K. Change any of those items and we'll be at 15-20K.

Last edited:
We rarely play 7pm Saturday home games. We've played exactly one in the past three years....drew 17k and change. We drew over 22k in 2011 during the middle of the recession btw.

To be fair we never drew more than 21k that season. It was a weird year. I suspect the recession of the past two years had something to do with it.

Also, it was against Rice lol.

A lot of our attendance issues have to do with what days and times we're playing on as well as the opponent. Give us a game against a decent named opponent on a Saturday, at 7Pm, when we have a decent record and we'll get between 22 and 30K. Change any of those items and we'll be at 15-20K.
I just think differently. You win a big game on the road against a national power on national TV and feel like the team has earned your respect and attendance for at least one game. It was pretty much the height of Graham's era and we had guys who were fun to watch. Heck, we converted on 3rd and 26 and then 3rd and 31 on consecutive snaps.

Listen, we could run our non-conference schedule and still only end up with 20k people in Chapman the rest of the season and lame-O Tulsa will have some excuse that Cheesecake Factory was running a special and that Texas and Arkansas actually suck so it's not a big deal.

I believe there is opportunity here for sure, but most of the things TU is missing all take man power and $. Being the smallest D-1 by enrollment makes it a tuff nutt to crack. To be fair let’s take the other two Oklahoma schools out when we compair. Over the past few seasons I have been able to attend several D-1 and D-1aa games.

North Texas-band was amazing and loud, video boards and big sound system, smoke, flames, fireworks. A patio bar and grill in the south end zone.

Ark State-band that covered every line on the field, student cheer sections located all over the stadium. Announcer hype man never let the crowd get quiet and also a great sound system for when the band was not playing. Not as expensive but had a lot of student envolvment.

UCF-all the above but about 20000 of the fans are students. Not really fair here and with North Texas as both schools are in the top 10 US colleges in total enrollment.

Other things I notice around the area is no TU gear for sale in any store in town and no media coverage. It’s so hard in a small state to compete with OU and OSU..... rant over

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT