ADVERTISEMENT

Official Houston game thread

They protect upper teams, just like in the pros they protect upper level players. They know where their bread is buttered, and that any conference wants upper teams protected.

Conference doesn't control the refs for basketball anymore. It's a national assignment thing. So blame the Big XII and the Big 10/SEC who I am sure work to get their personal choices and we get what's left.

Anyway for basketball write someone else now, I'm sure they will be just as unresponsive lol.

The issue is their is no accountability, I really think they should have to do a recorded debriefing after every game, where reporters and a supervising official ask them questions about calls.

A healthy dose of embarrassment as your answers get replayed on talk shows for WTF? Segments would probably correct a lot of this grand standing, which is what it is. Some refs might even leave opening the field up for someone beside the same 20 sixty year old men.

I believe you are incorrect on the conference. There is some sort of league management with officials. C-USA had Curtis Shaw, another official easily offended by fans (same one who ejected Sammy the Owl). The AAC has Mike Eades, who will be familiar to many fans. Every year there is some flare up with officials and a coach, usually in Big 10 or ACC, and that’s usually the person who resolves it. Like when King Karl Hess got suspended for picking a fight with Tom Gugliotta (and later fired for racially insensitive comments) or when our old friend Duke Edsall got canned by the ACC. There are things the league can do. They just don’t.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It’ll be hard for any conference to beat our refs ejecting both Haith and Hurley from a game for what at that point was barely more than politely arguing with each other. Grandstanding to the nth degree

So clutch Rachal. I've been hard on him this year for some bad passes and losing it when he dribbles, but he played tremendously tonight. Well done! Wish KES could of sealed it with that open 3 at the end so my heart didnt fluctuate so much but I'll take it!
There were a number of good offensive sets down the stretch where we just missed the open shots. I had no issues with KES taking that shot, or the one Ritchie took earlier and missed...the ball is moving and the shots are good open looks. As long as we keep moving the ball that way this team will be fine

It’ll be hard for any conference to beat our refs ejecting both Haith and Hurley from a game for what at that point was barely more than politely arguing with each other. Grandstanding to the nth degree

I also forgot that Haith was tossed at Houston last year over nothing, as were other players. There are some issues that don’t make sense with this league.

I believe you are incorrect on the conference. There is some sort of league management with officials. C-USA had Curtis Shaw, another official easily offended by fans (same one who ejected Sammy the Owl). The AAC has Mike Eades, who will be familiar to many fans. Every year there is some flare up with officials and a coach, usually in Big 10 or ACC, and that’s usually the person who resolves it. Like when King Karl Hess got suspended for picking a fight with Tom Gugliotta (and later fired for racially insensitive comments) or when our old friend Duke Edsall got canned by the ACC. There are things the league can do. They just don’t.
Refs are independent contractors and most are basically on retainer with particular conferences to call their games. If they aren’t calling games for That conference then they are free to offer services to other conferences. I think this year with COVID, things are a bit skewed more regionally so we are seeing refs from AAC, Southland, C-USA, and maybe some Valley who are based within a short drive of Tulsa. When we go in the road, we’ll get those regionally based refs. The refs individually are certified by an independent body contracted with the NCAA, sort of like FIFA and the way their refs are certified for certain levels of competition. Each league used to have a coordinator who would review game film for mechanics, accuracy of calls, and game control. Those evaluations would be used for postseason assignments/recommendations. The only thing I saw last night was an inconsistency in the lane. Seems like Houston got the benefit on both ends. Also Grimes and Sasser did seem to get away with a number of travels. The Euro step confuses refs and they stop watching the lag foot which frequently gets dragged. The other is the jump stop which used to be spelled out in the training and decisions videos as requiring the ball handler to land with both feet simultaneously...and last night Grimes, Mills, and Jarrett often landed with their feet in succession which is a violation.

Was on an airplane last night during the game, so I just got to watch the replay today. Big win!!! The thing that stands out to me is the improvement in the talent/athleticism that has been happening. All of our players looked like they belonged on the same court as Houston’s top 5 team. Hasn’t always been the case.

I also forgot that Haith was tossed at Houston last year over nothing, as were other players. There are some issues that don’t make sense with this league.
Missed my chance for an ankle biter sign.

Reactions: Gold*
Hess and Edsall were my least favorite refs. If you had one of them you knew there was probably a 75-90% chance of a loss.

Reactions: TU Sepp
I’ve been to conference tournaments where other fans heard us yelling at Edsall. They didn’t like him, either. I understand he is out of officiating due to a blood clot.

Refs are independent contractors and most are basically on retainer with particular conferences to call their games. If they aren’t calling games for That conference then they are free to offer services to other conferences. I think this year with COVID, things are a bit skewed more regionally so we are seeing refs from AAC, Southland, C-USA, and maybe some Valley who are based within a short drive of Tulsa. When we go in the road, we’ll get those regionally based refs. The refs individually are certified by an independent body contracted with the NCAA, sort of like FIFA and the way their refs are certified for certain levels of competition. Each league used to have a coordinator who would review game film for mechanics, accuracy of calls, and game control. Those evaluations would be used for postseason assignments/recommendations. The only thing I saw last night was an inconsistency in the lane. Seems like Houston got the benefit on both ends. Also Grimes and Sasser did seem to get away with a number of travels. The Euro step confuses refs and they stop watching the lag foot which frequently gets dragged. The other is the jump stop which used to be spelled out in the training and decisions videos as requiring the ball handler to land with both feet simultaneously...and last night Grimes, Mills, and Jarrett often landed with their feet in succession which is a violation.

Alright lol I went to look this up again because I was pretty sure I had this right.

I was off slightly, the conferences actually got together and formed regional groups with one official's coordinator. Each conference individually contracts the refs and coordinators and then the coordinator assigns the refs to games based on the region and who they have contracted for with idea of cutting down travel and avoiding fatigue. So there is essentially two levels to it and then the over all NCAA stuff. This may be even more geographical now with covid and apparently the conferences have been working on one testing/protocol standard in each group. To make it easier. I would assume it's probably like us, MVC, CUSA, Big 12, maybe big 10? Something like that. Apparently one group is like Ivy, BE, Patriot, etc

I was off slightly...
There is still a chain of command, no matter how convoluted it gets with refs working for other conferences. And the refs know the message anyway, it's implied. The ref wouldn't be working that long if he didn't know the script.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT