ADVERTISEMENT

Official FAU game thread

I figure SMU and Tulane, unless we really put a game together against one of them. And East Carolina will be a tough road game. That one is up in the air. Those are the three I see as the tougher games. But we could beat one of them, and lose one of our easier games. That's why I don't get up in arms about a game we should have won going south. The season can change on a dime as far as getting to 6 wins.
Agreed. I also think having Braxton back will really help going forward. Also hopefully getting shoulders back. I’m frustrated with Presley and his dropped passes, I did not see that coming.

Didn't watch.
Couldn't.
Seems that KW just ain't a throwing QB and Presley is a bust --- he cannot catch a football. That makes playing football really hard!!! Right???

**I think I'd just use KW in the Wild Cat going forward.

Reactions: dougheffking
Didn't watch.
Couldn't.
Seems that KW just ain't a throwing QB and Presley is a bust --- he cannot catch a football. That makes playing football really hard!!! Right???

We don't need a chubby 61 year old in the wild cat.

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
Didn't watch.
Couldn't.

Presley has at least 5-6 easy drops this season. Ridiculous.

Jeez Louise you guys are extremely hard on Pressley. He had a couple of drops, and caught four passes. Don't condemn the kid when he was our leading receiver in # of passes caught, and 2nd leading receiver in yardage gained. The only guys to catch more than one pass yesterday were him and Benjamin. D Williams didn't even catch but one pass. Is that his first passes caught? Can't remember if he caught one or two in other games. But this is his first game to catch multiple passes. He is improving. Give him a chance to get more sure with a few more games under his belt. He must be improving in practice, or he wouldn't have been given the increased # of passes thrown in one game. You know what Wilson says, he goes by practices, in who gets more involved in the game.

Reactions: loca2874
Maybe the one good thing to come out of that loss is solidification of who our starting QB will be going forward. Maybe... Really burns losing to PeeWee Herman.

Didn't watch.
Couldn't.

Don't stop not watching. KW is our coach, CW is the QB. I knew last game was an anomaly.

Reactions: loca2874
Maybe the one good thing to come out of that loss is solidification of who our starting QB will be going forward. Maybe... Really burns losing to PeeWee Herman.
Why would that solidify who our starting QB is? Braxton didn't even have a real opportunity to pass with the rain. Braxton only completed 3 of 8 passes. It probably just made it a bigger question mark. Yes Braxton will probably start next game without the rain to hinder his performance. But don't be surprised to see him not be the only QB who plays against Rice. The question about the QB is not over by any means.

Fans seem to always forget there’s generally a good reason a guy is named the starter. Braxton started game 1 because he’s better at this stage in his career. Brin started over Braxton because he was better at the time. Smith started over Brin because he was better at the time.

Reactions: drboobay
Fans seem to always forget there’s generally a good reason a guy is named the starter. Braxton started game 1 because he’s better at this stage in his career. Brin started over Braxton because he was better at the time. Smith started over Brin because he was better at the time.
I compare Williams now to Braxton versus Houston and think Braxton is the guy for now.

A good and complete game against Rice, from start to finish by Braxton, with few interceptions will more readily solidify our starting QB. But it won't be really be solidified until he does that for the next several games. But this game didn't solidify anything.

Wilson wants to see consistency. That doesn't happen in one game. Braxton had two interceptions in a very short period of time against a non D1 opponent. He has to show that was an anomaly. He hasn't had that chance yet.

Four wins left on our schedule. Let's hope we can corral at least 3 more.
Tulane is definitely the best team left on our schedule , they are all winnable
and yet all could be losses . The key component is you have to show up and
not be flat . TU cannot go on the road and muck around and give a
pedestrian effort . You cannot drive down the field and throw over the running backs
head in the middle of the red zone and lose points, you can't fumble the fake punt at the 50 yardline .
Instead of a possible 14 points on the first two possessions , Tulsa gives up 14 pts. and
has to play catch-up . The better the win record for TU the more opportunity we have
for a better bowl, TU got shafted in 2016 having to play in that scrub Miami Bowl with
Dane Evans . They deserved a much better opponent and bowl that year.

P.S. Pressley needs to watch the ball into his hands and quit looking at defenders...
slow it down . Receiver his his only chance for game time because YU is loaded
at running back .

I don't understand the game plan at all. In the 3 games we won, we threw 20, 20 and 18 passes but on Sat we for some reason decided to lean into the pass, with 28 throws? The D wasn't as stout as it has been and the run game was not great, but this still wasn't a high scoring affair, we didn't need to go score for score on every drive with them.

I don't understand the game plan at all. In the 3 games we won, we threw 20, 20 and 18 passes but on Sat we for some reason decided to lean into the pass, with 28 throws? The D wasn't as stout as it has been and the run game was not great, but this still wasn't a high scoring affair, we didn't need to go score for score on every drive with them.
Uh, did you not see that we could not run effectively against FAU? We don't have the speed type backs to get outside really. I think you will see more of Braxton moving forward because I think he reads that RPO (except he's not passing out of it) better than Cardell does and isn't afraid to pull the ball and go. He's also a more gifted runner than Williams with both speed and the ability to break a tackle. Braxton is also a bit more accurate with his passes and has less of a mechanical flaw in his throwing than Williams does which becomes more exposed when throwing on the run (Williams mechanics throwing on the run are a crap shoot...tough to figure out what the flaw is if he can't replicate it consistently. One issue on this throw, different issue on the next). I also think Williams gets flustered when we're trailing or really need to score and/or he's a RS FR and hasn't quite figured out how to prep for road games (he's been decent at home and bad on the road). Braxton looks like he has that part down. He didn't look flustered or out of sorts trying to lead a comeback in a ****ing monsoon. He has a mechanical issue in that he's releasing the ball too high and not driving throws in on the shorter throws. Almost every one was a bit high forcing our WRs to make difficult catches. Those throws will also get your receivers killed. Braxton needs to fix that. I will say he looked fully confident out there which I didn't expect after 5 weeks on the shelf.

Uh, did you not see that we could not run effectively against FAU? We don't have the speed type backs to get outside really. I think you will see more of Braxton moving forward because I think he reads that RPO (except he's not passing out of it) better than Cardell does and isn't afraid to pull the ball and go. He's also a more gifted runner than Williams with both speed and the ability to break a tackle. Braxton is also a bit more accurate with his passes and has less of a mechanical flaw in his throwing than Williams does which becomes more exposed when throwing on the run (Williams mechanics throwing on the run are a crap shoot...tough to figure out what the flaw is if he can't replicate it consistently. One issue on this throw, different issue on the next). I also think Williams gets flustered when we're trailing or really need to score and/or he's a RS FR and hasn't quite figured out how to prep for road games (he's been decent at home and bad on the road). Braxton looks like he has that part down. He didn't look flustered or out of sorts trying to lead a comeback in a ****ing monsoon. He has a mechanical issue in that he's releasing the ball too high and not driving throws in on the shorter throws. Almost every one was a bit high forcing our WRs to make difficult catches. Those throws will also get your receivers killed. Braxton needs to fix that. I will say he looked fully confident out there which I didn't expect after 5 weeks on the shelf.
The reality is, our offense isn't going to outduel most team in high scoring affairs. We win by controlling field position, relying on a defense that doesn't give up long drives and grinding out drives or hitting a long play on the run or the pass off the run. Turnovers are way worse than drives that fizzle. And we can't pass consistently enough to maintain a drive anyway. What's worse, an incompletion or a run for 3 yards?

Look at our first drive, 9 rushes for 51 yards and 2 incompletions, had it 1st and 10 at FAU 26. Incompletion and interception. In a 20-17 loss, would be nice to have the chance at that 43 yard field goal. Or the field goal drive, 48 yards running, 9 passing, a sack for -4. Pass played a role in 1 TD, no role in a TD and FG, and cost us at least a FG....

Leaning into the pass is fools gold for this team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT