ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinator

jerandlaur

I.T.S. Position Coach
Jan 11, 2007
Sonny Cumbie has turned down $4,000,000 over 3 years to be the OC for the Longhorns and NBCSports reports that Texas will now come after one of our OCs. Anyone hear about this?

Last edited:
Yeah - Twitter has been burning it up the past several days about it. We'll see what happens.

I think what's a tough sell is the fact that strong may not be at Texas past next season unless he just turns that ship around 180°

You hope Gilbert sees the fact that he has no one who can really throw the ball at Texas. The Longhorns with their current personnel package would be better off hiring Barry Switzer to be OC to run the wishbone.

The fact Texas and Charlie Strong haven't had success finding a good QB to match the type of offense he want to play. He should go to a speed offense and find a good drop back passer on the west coast to run the offense.

We've had inside info on this situation in a running thread since Monday in Hurricane Alley. Here are the links:

Thread 1 which includes breaking info from Wed night after Gilbert returned from the interview, as well as details of the interview and how it all went down, and who he met with when he got back to Tulsa

Thread 2 with new info on Thursday morning after things got muddied and Texas interviewed an additional candidate

Texas is a train wreck. No one will go there to be fired in a year, or less.

Hey guys, not to be argumentative or anything, but did anyone else think our offense this year was extremely simplistic and unimaginative? I'm not sure what the hell Charlie Strong sees that's sparkling to brightly in our offensive coordinator. We didn't have a single reversal, half-back pass, jet sweep, or anything that reeks of offensive coordinator scheming / design. I thought the team's success on offense this year was due to individual efforts by Dane, Key, and our running backs at various times. The last time I could actually SEE a fingerprint in our offensive coordinator positions was Gus Malzahn back in the day.

I'd give any edge on the coaching front this year to Monty for changing the culture and the players' willingness to compete. Had nothing to do with the OC, whoever this Gilbert guy is...

Twitter reporting both our OCs are gone?

I realize I am out of the loop in Houston but what were they actually doing? I thought it was clear Monty ran the offensive ship.

In any event, dear lord, Texas. Groveling in Tulsa.

So neither Gilbert or Mattox came close to calling plays. Mattox was O line. (!)

I'm not upset. I'm dumbfounded.

Reactions: URedskin54
Gilbert thought they offered $650k-$750k a year but they then said $520k. He said stick it. So they came back and agreed on $900k!! That's some fancy negotiating.

He wanted a 3 year deal and they wanted 2. Maybe it's 2 but with the money of a 3, which certainly doesn't give you much confidence in Strong if so.

Why is an OC who doesn't call plays worth that kind of $$$?
What is his involvement on the field if he's not even calling plays?

Texas is a train wreck. No one will go there to be fired in a year, or less.

Hey there, why so quiet all of a sudden?

http://texas.forums.rivals.com/threads/sterlin-gilbert-i-now-a-horn.134444/#post-3567695

http://texas.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-strong-era-is-all-but-over.133565/page-2#post-3567809

Also, just curious, but why the smack talk hours after it was apparent you were wrong? Desperately hanging on to contrary info?

Anyway, please do pay us a visit again!

Sounds like they will be paid for 3 years, regardless of if they are still at Texas.

You've come a long way from Darryl Royal, by the way, and not in a good way. Texas is still a train wreck. You ran off Mack Brown because he wasn't good enough, and replaced him with Strong who has been rumored to be fired this season or next. Good luck with your new co-OCs. Perhaps they'll learn to call plays on offense.

Is it true that Texas was trying to lure Saban as their first choice? And then Briles when Saban stayed put? So they were out of options when they got to Charlie Strong? A friend of mine told me that, but I have no idea if it's true or hearsay.

You've come a long way from Darryl Royal, by the way, and not in a good way. Texas is still a train wreck. You ran off Mack Brown because he wasn't good enough, and replaced him with Strong who has been rumored to be fired this season or next. Good luck with your new co-OCs. Perhaps they'll learn to call plays on offense.

Well, be that as it may, I've still gotten to enjoy watching my alma mater win a national championship in person within the last decade (along with many, many other great wins). We've hit a rough patch, no doubt, but we'll be back before too long. Don't you worry your pretty little head about that. :)

And do please come pay us another visit. We were just getting acquainted! :D

Is it true that Texas was trying to lure Saban as their first choice? And then Briles when Saban stayed put? So they were out of options when they got to Charlie Strong? A friend of mine told me that, but I have no idea if it's true or hearsay.

Hard to say exactly what happened with Saban. Some said it was never going to happen. Other people with inside connections said that it was close to happening but that Mack managed to sabotage the timing by disappearing to Florida to "recruit" after the coaches' convention that year (he was actually just avoiding a face-to-face with the new AD, who was ready to fire him).

Strong was our former AD's next choice, though. He was looking at Strong, Mora, and Briles. He passed on Mora, who then saved face by "withdrawing" his name from consideration. Briles wanted to be offered the job without having to interview, and Patterson said that wasn't going to happen. Strong was apparently first on Patterson's list, anyway (well, after Saban, but the efforts to lure Saban were already well underway before Patterson was hired, so he wasn't going to have much say there).

Texas needs to find a qb... In a bad way. Maybe they will give the reins to the freshman buechele

What the hell are u doing here, nattering on about all your program has done or not done with an endless supply of money? Go away. jeesus christ almighty!

People do not come to this board to talk Texas football. Not relevant here. Plenty of other places for that.

What the hell are u doing here, nattering on about all your program has done or not done with an endless supply of money? Go away. jeesus christ almighty!

Waaaaaah. Take it up with your own poster who felt compelled to visit our board and talk trash -- TU 1978. I only came here to pay him a visit and invite him back over.

U can't take a single poster coming over & giving u crap? After your program makes a substandard offer to our OC's? And then your pres comes crawling and crying to Tulsa, and makes a decent offer. Your coach, and our OC will be gone after next season any way. I'm just glad he got a three year guarantee. That way you'll be paying him and the last 3 or 4 coaches you've canned for a couple of years. Happy coach hunting next year. Hope u pony up for Saban, and he takes u to the cleaners. Oh and by the way, so glad TU'78 trolled u, See yaaaa!

PS Maybe Steve Spurrier will be looking for work next year.

Last edited:
All hail Royal lover, the king of trash talk, hah, hah! No comment on the coaching staff getting canned after this season. Thru wasting my time on him.

What "Royal" was inadvertently was that Texas can't produce a coach that will coach there. anytime they need a good coach they come to Oklahoma and hire ours with their oil money. 1st they hire former OU Sooner Royal and now they come to Tulsa to grab our OC's...

The mention of Royal reminds me of the 1976 OU-TX game. President Ford walked out to midfield for the coin toss with both coaches. The television mic picked up a fan yelling "Hey! Who are those two a$$holes with Barry?" Sooner fans in a nutshell.

I was just begging that Texas would become bowl eligilble.

This would have been a great year to play Texas in a bowl game.

Go TU!!!!

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT