ADVERTISEMENT

Odd comment by the Pope

I could not agree less with that interpretation of Walsh's blog.

But if it's intolerant to not want to support a candidate who worships money, power and self over all else than I accept that label.

I don't know if now I could make it any clearer that I do not support Trump. But there have been many people in history who have been called Christians who had such an attitude and many people who were not called Christians. Many kings have been called their Christian Majesty and wildly brutalized colonies . I think the problem with Trump is all the faults you stated but I don't think they should be equated with not being a Christian . I am sure there have been many heroic and self-sacrificing people of different religions . Again, my example earlier Mahatma Gandhi who gained independence for India by nonviolent means and set an example for Dr. King. Yet the former was I believe Hindu.

I must quit trying to use the voice synthesizer, my messages come out totally garbled.

Last edited:
Those people espouse Christian values. Donald Trump does not. It is ok for non Christians to not care about that. Matt Walsh and the Pope aren't suggesting you have to.

I just read the rest of the Pope's comments and holy cow, out of context amd much ado about nothing.

And I bet there are Atheists who reject that specific persona too.

Let me quarrel with you about a couple of words. Atheists means against theism. There is a huge difference between not being a member of a religion and being against religion. Wanting all religious references banned, The usual list.

The article also uses the word Pagan. That is as inflammatory as WATU calling all consevatives creationists.

You have probably by now figured out that I am not a creationist. Our founding fathers had been required to pay taxes to the Church of England whether they were that or Puritans, Quakers or like many among them Unitarians or even Deists. They used fuzzy words like Devine Providence. I'm sure the author of that article would have problems with many quotes from Jefferson. Washington was sometimes mentioned as a Deist. Scholars argue it both ways and George wasn't as open as Tom. It was the Age of Enlightenment and there was a lot of thinking out loud. But no one would argue against Jefferson being president. The reason is that Jefferson wasn't a bit like Trump.

Call Trump what he is: Trump. Someone who appeals to the lowest of instincts. Trump like all of us is not one dimensional.

I could not agree less with that interpretation of Walsh's blog.

But if it's intolerant to not want to support a candidate who worships money, power and self over all else than I accept that label.

Most presidential candidates do wait until they're elected before they begin to exhibit these qualities.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
By now, everyone is ready for me to stop. So here it is, my last post [unless there is another.]

Trump got the most votes in Iowa of any R. High percent evangelical Christians.

He will [unfortunately] do well in OK, AR, KS, NE. Not sure about MO because of more big cities. Probably win SC tomorrow. These states are the buckle in the Bible Belt.

So are these people not Christians, are they ignorant or what's the deal? The deal is that they are angry. Blindly angry. Angry about jobs [especially in energy], angry about....we all know the list. ObamaCare and illegal aliens.

Are they not Christians? Are they misguided by anger?

Now I am unaffiliated. But I'm not for Trump, but it has nothing to do with religion.

Maybe, just maybe all "religious" people aren't moral and all moral people aren't religious.

From the specific ones I know, Trump speaks to their fear, racism and homophobia.

So they are hypocrites IMO. That's unfortunately not a unique criticism to this situation.

They are not very different than when they elected Reagan or Bush. They just did not have Trump pandering to their worst traits. The morals of the general populace have never been that grand on the whole. But we have always put comparatiively decent candidates on the ballot up until now. We never gave them the choice of a wacko until recently, and the minor wackos that slipped through the cracks were not given the chance to go anywhere with their campaign. The media did their part to disallow a lot of the crap(Trump, Cruz, etc) that they now pump up.

The media can be blamed heavily for this, they had some morals in the past. They have now replaced those upstanding morals with a greedy hierarchy of profiteers in the managerial structure of the media. Regrettably it is the end result of allowing the media to become corporate. The Ted Turner's and Rupert Murdoch's were harbingers that it would grind down to the lowest common denominator of money grubbing news gathering. The media playing it's role as a part of our conscience, has been rapidly deteriorating. Just look at all the fluff headlines on CNN and the crap they pump out at Fox News. All the news gatherers and their executive management from the 80's are appalled at the crap they see today.

Reactions: WATU2
I don't understand.

How someone can claim to be a Catholic and a Democrat, when several of the main issues for Democrats is pro abortion and birth control. 180 degrees from the beliefs in the doctrines of the Catholic. church.

The Catholic Church is also anti capital punishment and generally a lot more pro helping the poor than republicans. No party has a monopoly on its doctrine. My Catholicism makes me a social moderate more than anything.

Frankly birth control is not anything you ever hear about from the church growing up in many parishes. It wasn't even brought up in marriage counseling. Our monsignor didn't have any criticism of us choosing not to have children.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Rep believe in helping "poor" people. They just think that the "poor" people should also demonstrate some self reliance.

Not even close to the satisfaction of the Catholic Church which clearly recognizes and desires to minimize the shortcomings of a capitalist society.

You wanted to know how Catholics could vote democrat. There's just one reason. The need for some redistribution of wealth because the church can't do it all. Capital punishment is another. Immigration is another. Abortion isn't the sole litmus test for many Catholics that outsiders would make it out to be.

Rep believe in helping "poor" people. They just think that the "poor" people should also demonstrate some self reliance.

You need to look at this from a historical reference point, back when JFK was in office, most Catholics were Democrats, for the very reasons BBjunkie states. Not until abortion became divisive was there any real split between parties for Catholics.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT