ADVERTISEMENT

Navy @ Tulsa Game thread

I think this staff is a little bit above average.... not spectacular. Good news.... we should have Monty for as many years as we want him. .500 type guy from what I've seen. I blame penalties and turnovers on lack of discipline. Lack of discipline is all coaching imo.

Reactions: TUGrad06
Only a few of the Navy players would have been offered FBS football scholarships. They have athletic ability but they are not a team of 3 star are better football recruits. They are a great team and that is due to coaching, discipline and execution.

Dane sucks. Ive never seen a QB get sacked as much as Dane.

Im ready for President.

How many holds have killed drives this season. At least Tulane sucks more than we do so hopefully we go to a bowl.

I don't particularly care what a 16 or 17 year old kid was rated when assessing their abilities as 20, 21, 22 year olds today.

Same as I'll say Shaquille Harrison is a better athlete now than nearly every player he'll face this year that was more lauded and highly rated than he was vs high school talent.

Talent develops, ya know

But that's not what the first comment was about anywho. It wasn't about Navy's athletes vs the world, it was about vs Tulsa's.

Feels like we've had a lot more than 4 penalties?! Stat just showed 4 for 44 yds?

We had a running into the kicker, a offensive PI, unsportsmanlike and at least a few holds?

Well, Dane was 31 of 36 for over 270 yards so I am not sure what more he could have done. Turnovers and poor line play hurt the offensive output tonight.

It's obvious we didn't play well tonight, but I think it's hilarious that's there's always some know it all who writes a mini dissertation about how the program is terrible and how this is the coaches fault.

I think this staff is a little bit above average.... not spectacular. Good news.... we should have Monty for as many years as we want him. .500 type guy from what I've seen. I blame penalties and turnovers on lack of discipline. Lack of discipline is all coaching imo.

U go bigzit, u r carrying Grad07's water bottle today. This post recorded for posterity's sake, for next year. We lose to likely the best team or close to it, in our conference, and your comment is he seems like a .500 coach, when we r fresh off a 2-9 season. He starts with a huge handicap, and pulls a .500 record his first year coaching, and your comment is he is a .500 coach. I'll catch u next year.

GH2 - I didn't read any posts about the program being terrible but if you believe the team looked disciplined and well coached tonight then okay.

agreed bigzit. i expected us to play better than this with an offensive genius coaching us now. Sure the defense is the worst...but our offense should be humming with atkinson, key, dane, and warren, langer, etc at RB. we have decent offensive talent and to only get 21 points is pretty piss poor. Dane isn't a terrible QB, but he's just ok. he has very little playmaking ability. even when the pocket holds for 3-5 seconds, he doesn't do much with it. he had a few good pockets tonight, scrambled outside the tackles and INTO the DE waiting for him while he's being blocked by our OTs...just not a very smart QB. good arm, below average smarts. ready for next year and hopefully a decent recruiting class to see what monty can do with a season under his belt. this year is over.

Blaming this or any of our losses on Monty and the staff is not right. We do have some good players but lack talent in important areas of the team due to Blankenship's recruiting:

Suits is a decent linebacker at best, but the rest of the LB's are small, slow, and not fundamentally sound.

Our secondary is absolutely atrocious.

Our offensive line is average.

Monty is addressing our need for linebackers with the current recruiting class, and the O-line with Rowdy Frederick and co., now need some more DB's.

We need more talent period. Monty will also grow as a coach after his first year as the head coach.

Rebuilding takes time...Yet we still have a chance to make a bowl.

My problem with Dane is that he walks into what seems like a ton of sacks and lacks mobility. The programs we are competing with have QBs that can run and throw.

At the end of the day Dane is 7-13 as a starter at TU.

Im not drunk but am dumb as dirt.

Dane is the best we have right now. 6 and 6 and a bowl game is a miracle season if we can pull it off considering how atrocious we have been. Remember we also lost our best player 4 games into the season.

An another topic why no Ramadi Warren at RB today?

That triple option is a beast to stop. Navy has that down cold. Only one false start the whole game for them, and not a single holding penalty. We had a chance early on in the game to capitalize on a couple of turnovers and 3 and outs by Navy, but it didn't happen. That was the ballgame at that point. Give the guys credit for playing hard right to the finish. I don't have such a nasty taste in my mouth when we finish the game with a 80 yard touchdown drive. Once our defense gets up to speed with our offense, we'll be the one with a 9 and 1 record.

That triple option is a beast to stop. Navy has that down cold. Only one false start the whole game for them, and not a single holding penalty. We had a chance early on in the game to capitalize on a couple of turnovers and 3 and outs by Navy, but it didn't happen. That was the ballgame at that point. Give the guys credit for playing hard right to the finish. I don't have such a nasty taste in my mouth when we finish the game with a 80 yard touchdown drive. Once our defense gets up to speed with our offense, we'll be the one with a 9 and 1 record.
The problem is though that our offense sputters far too often.

Reactions: XOut88
The problem is though that our offense sputters far too often.

Yeah, our run game wasn't there tonight. I think we had 8 yards of total offense at the half. Not going to win many games with those numbers. But our offense isn't primarily the reason why we've lost 6 games this season, I'd chalk up this as the first instance where the offense did less in terms of contribution than the defense did. I dunno, it was bad all around... I was just trying to find the silver lining if there was one

From watching the game in person, I thought Navy has similar athleticism to Tulsa, but they appeared a little older, stronger & extremely disciplined. Navy's triple option offensive execution is impressive to watch. They all know their roles & assignments & carry them out with minimal mistakes. It's obvious they've been recruiting personnel to play in this offense for quite a while. Their FB is huge, their entire offense, even the WRs, play very physical football.

I was even more impressed with their defense. They are very physical & swarm to the ball. You need to take every available yard quickly, because juking around just attracts more defenders. They also rarely miss tackles. They are a very disciplined, well-coached team on both sides of the ball.

We just didn't play a very good game. We had our chances early, but a couple of key drops & an early fumble kept us from taking an early lead & possibly making it a different game. It seemed all of our mistakes were big, maybe because Navy took advantage of most of them.

i don't want to discuss personnel, but I really think we will be improved, especially on defense, next season.

Now it's on to Tulane, & hopefully a win for bowl eligibility!

Dane is the best we have right now. 6 and 6 and a bowl game is a miracle season if we can pull it off considering how atrocious we have been. Remember we also lost our best player 4 games into the season.

An another topic why no Ramadi Warren at RB today?

I wondered the same thing about Warren.

The substitution / choice of players used this late in the season is puzzling.

At the end of the day Dane is 7-13 as a starter at TU.
Uhhhh ... most of those starts were while BB was still coach who even you admit was horrible as a head coach. Dane is .500 under PM even with a very substandard Oline and one of the worst defenses in all of college football. Is Dane a world-beater .... NO. But he is an above-average passer who give us the best chance to win right now. Again, the bulk of the criticism should be on the lack of defensive talent. Offense is not the main problem. Saying "Dane sucks" is ... well .... stupid.

We probably didn't see Ramadi because he fumbled both knockoffs to start the game. The first drive started at the two, and the second didn't Navy recover?

Yeah, our run game wasn't there tonight. I think we had 8 yards of total offense at the half. Not going to win many games with those numbers. But our offense isn't primarily the reason why we've lost 6 games this season, I'd chalk up this as the first instance where the offense did less in terms of contribution than the defense did. I dunno, it was bad all around... I was just trying to find the silver lining if there was one
The low yardage numbers in the run game are totally on the offensive line...there were no holes to run through. I witnessed our best O-Lineman (Stafford) milling around during one 1st half play and totally got the crap knocked out of him . This bunch definitely does not have that "Nasty Attitude" that some of our past good O-Lineman possessed.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Barrister arguing with computer screen names on Internet message board about 18-22 year olds is by its very nature dumb but it is also the cornerstone of Internet message board and should therefore be reverered as gospel.

Reactions: barrister1602
Just a few comments for clarification.

The "stand with opponent for their alma mater" tradition started with Army/Navy and is now exercised whenever the opponent sings after a game. Winner sings last. Army had a saying a couple of years ago on shirts that actually said "sing last". Didn't work out. Oh, and it is normal for players to remove their helmets during the singing of their schools alma mater. Somebody might want to work with the TU guys on that note.

TU is young and Navy is experienced. Navy has ten seniors ("firsties" or Midshipmen First Class) on the starting offense. One of the reasons Navy fans want so badly for this team to do something special is the stark realization that next year may be a little rough. I agree with some of the comments regarding coaching and discipline. I thought the final series of the first half was especially confusing. After almost giving up a touchdown via sack/fumble it might have been wise to run out the clock instead of rolling the dice.

The TU fans and tailgate crew were extremely gracious. One of the things I most like about being both a TU and USNA fan/alum is that both groups tend to be good sports and classy fans. The tailgates were welcoming to those wearing Navy gear and, overall, the TU fans made me proud to be one of you 99% of the time.

Thanks and BEAT ARMY!

Barrister arguing with computer screen names on Internet message board about 18-22 year olds is by its very nature dumb but it is also the cornerstone of Internet message board and should therefore be reverered as gospel.
Have an upvote sir. Well said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT