ADVERTISEMENT

Music.......sweet, sweet Music

Say what? Couldn't find either word in my Funk & Wagnels Wagnall's, even the Middle Ages edition. Did anyone ever listen to Herbie Mann? Always a great jazz floutist(look that one up), but he did a couple albums worth of'70s pop music arrangements that were great.
Calling him on his word usage, you oughtta be able to spell Wagenellie right. 😜

Reactions: quincy101
My wife hates the nasally delivery of Ian Anderson. That and the Olde English motif and minstrelly flutesomeness.

I on the other hand enjoy it all and come back to it periodically.
I always told my daughter that she would be on to something if she could play her flute while balancing on one foot.

She didn’t care for Ian’s style.

Reactions: drboobay
Say what? Couldn't find either word in my Funk & Wagnels, even the Middle Ages edition. Did anyone ever listen to Herbie Mann? Always a great jazz floutist(look that one up), but he did a couple albums worth of'70s pop music arrangements that were great.
Easy Listening cover of a great song,

I'm late to the party and probably one of the younger posters in this thread, but I have similar tastes in music as many of you. Unlike most of you, I don't have a single musical skill in my body, but I'm pretty good at making up lyrics while I'm drinking :).

I spent a lot of my childhood with my grandpa and grew up listening to Country music with him. I specifically remember listening to Cash, Roy Clark, Hank Williams, and Merle Haggard with him in his truck while running errands and helping on the farm.

My parents, especially my dad, love Southern Rock bands, The Marshall Tucker Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd. They also listened to Kansas, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, Bad Company, Boston, and many others that I can't think of at this moment all the time.

I have to pick up my son, but I have quite a bit more that sticks out and holds a special place in my heart and brain.

... TO BE CONTINUED ...

l am a big fan of most 80s music. My sister is 9 years older than me and when I was a kid she gave me the old cassettes she didn’t like anymore. Too many to name here. She also introduced me to Blues music. We used to go to a lot of Blues concerts in Tulsa back then. I know we saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Jonny Lang at least half a dozen times (two of her favorite bands). One of those concerts I remember we saw BB King which was incredible.

Other bands my sister introduced me to and I still listen to: Green Day, Cake, The Offspring, Nirvana, and Sublime.

She also introduced me to rap/hip-hop. It used to be my favorite genre but now that I'm older I can't stand it, except for songs that bring back memories.

These days I primarily listen to Folk and Singer-Songwriter type music. Both older and newer music in this genre.

All of the above being said, if I had to pick a favorite band of all time it would be Queen. I also listen to quite a bit of classical but I couldn't tell you specifics there. I enjoy it when I need to relax and/or focus on work.

I may be one of the only people in the world who doesn't like Bob Dylan.

Last edited:
I can't believe I forgot to mention John Mayer and Frank Sinatra. I can listen to the two of them and Queen almost every day and not get tired of the 3 of them.

My 3rd and 4th-grade sons introduced me to an artist named JVKE. I think he's only 21 but I really like his album. He blends quite a few different genres together in his songs.

I suspect that is a joke based on the wink but it went right over my head.

It did make me listen to Dust in the Wind just now though!
Just that it was part of his early folk heritage,(which you said you listened to) before he went 'electric'. It was considered to be one of the most popular traditional folk songs out there. I figured you likely meant modern folk, not traditional though. Things like "Fade Into You' and "Into Dust' by Mazzy Star.(Love Mazzy/Hope, grace and elegance.)

Last edited:
Reactions: cmullinsTU
Say what? Couldn't find either word in my Funk & Wagnels, even the Middle Ages edition. Did anyone ever listen to Herbie Mann? Always a great jazz floutist(look that one up), but he did a couple albums worth of'70s pop music arrangements that were great.
Yes I made up two words today. Highlight of my week so far!

Is that it for music? How about everybody's favorite guitar players? My top 3 would be: SRV, Hendrix and the recently deceased Jeff Beck, although the constant use of his whammy bar got a little weird, there's no denying his greatness. In jazz, Pat Metheny & Lee Ritenour. In blues, I love the guys that play way fewer notes, but those notes that speak to you & fit the tune, such as Little Milton, Eddie C. Campbell and many others.

I've got to mention an electric bass player named Jaco Pastorius. A jazz giant that could play anything on his ax.....anything. Paul McCartney ain't bad either.
SRV and Hendrix are definitely two on Mount Rushmore. I put Mark Knopfler and John Frusciante there as well.

Some of my other favorites: Clapton, John Mayer, Jack White, Lindsay Buckingham (weird playing style but really interesting), Brian May, Jimmy Page, Joe Walsh, Johnny Marr, Billy Gibbons, Tommi Iomi, Angus Young, Kieth Richards.

I also can't leave out George Harrison.

Never been a fan of David Gilmour.

Some younger guys that don't get the credit they deserve: Matt Bellamy (Muse), Dave Knudson (Minus the Bear), Shakey Graves, Bo Madsen (Mew), Matt Embree + Steve Choi (RX Bandits), Mike Einzinger (Incubus), Claudio Sanchez (Coheed & Cambria)

Last edited:
Tidbits:

I was in France when both Miles Davis & SRV died. The day after they died at least 1/3 of the country took the day off for their 'wake'. One other musician that I like but not as much as SRV or Miles Davis, will get the 1/3 off wake treatment will be Santana. That country knows how to show their love for musicians.

Jesus Chucho Valdes from the Cuban Jazz band Irakere will get quite the send off over there as well. Well loved.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it. Hope the turnout was ok.
The BOK was about 70/75% full. Most of the empty seats were backstage. And now I know what a 40 year reunion looks like - a $@!&load of old people.

Bruce played 3 full hours and barely took a break between songs.

Nils Lofgren is an excellent guitarist.

Last edited:
  • Wow
You skipped ECU for the Boss, shame on you. 😜
Was there a game tonight? I haven’t went to many since the CBI season. I spent 16 years coaching youth ball, which was just about enough basketball for me. Never got back into the habit of attending Tulsa basketball.

I'm late to the party
But always welcome. Glad to see another blues lover. I prefer Johnny Lang's guitar & vocals over Kenny Wayne Shepard, but both are great (white boy) blues artists. A couple more great caucasian blues guitarists are, of course SRV, and Eric Clapton. While I can take or leave EC's guitar playing, the last 20 years or so I would much rather hear him sing...a great voice that has mellowed into something special.

And another guitarist that, IMO, is vastly underrated is Gary Moore. He rocked hard late for Thin Lizzy but his first love is the blues. This guy could flat bring it.

Jimmy Page
Aston popped up on here too, also welcome. I see this guy's name and my 1st thought is always The Yardbirds. Was there ever a rock group that had better guitarists, one after the other, than Clapton , Beck & Page? I don't think so. Did anyone ever see a very strange movie called "Blow UP"? The only thing I liked about it was the Yardbirds' "Train Kept a Rollin" in the soundtrack. It rocked very, very hard.

I was in France when both Miles Davis & SRV died. The day after they died at least 1/3 of the country took the day off for their 'wake'.
Ah! the Frenchies, God Love 'em. They'll take a day off & hit the streets in the millions for any little thing. One might say that the real "day the music died" was when Miles Davis & SRV passed. Both giants of music. And speaking of France, Jim Morrison of the Doors, a group I absolutely loved, after OD'ing on the hard stuff, is buried in Paris at the Pere La chaise cemetary and his gravesite is visited every day since.

One more thing. On my first cruise aboard the carrier USS Kearsarge, the 2-star Rear Admiral that ran the show was named Morrison. Yes, that was Jim's father. Some might recall a line in one of the Door's tunes where Jim exclaims: "father, I want to kill you". Uh Oh!, Was there a little bad blood between father & son?

Last edited:
They don't hit the streets. They hit the back yards & Living Rooms.
Come on G$, you know better. For example, last week, an estimated 1 million hit the streets after Pres. Macron dared to suggest raising the retirement age from 62. Ha! I've seen school kids, adults, truckers...you name it, in the streets either celebrating something or mostly for political stuff that made them mad. And while not necessarily violent, they always manage to shut the country down for a while.

Come on G$, you know better. For example, last week, an estimated 1 million hit the streets after Pres. Macron dared to suggest raising the retirement age from 62. Ha! I've seen school kids, adults, truckers...you name it, in the streets either celebrating something or mostly for political stuff that made them mad. And while not necessarily violent, they always manage to shut the country down for a while.
I thought you wanted to start this thread for a respite from politics and TU basketball. I am talking specifically about the day after a musician died. And I am talking from first hand knowledge. I was there to see that there wasn't people in the streets. The party wasn't in the streets, it was in the gardens & LR's. Their might have been a few street parties in Paris, but nothing major.

Ah! the Frenchies, God Love 'em. They'll take a day off & hit the streets in the millions for any little thing. One might say that the real "day the music died" was when Miles Davis & SRV passed. Both giants of music. And speaking of France, Jim Morrison of the Doors, a group I absolutely loved, after OD'ing on the hard stuff, is buried in Paris at the Pere La chaise cemetary and his gravesite is visited every day since.

One more thing. On my first cruise aboard the carrier USS Kearsarge, the 2-star Rear Admiral that ran the show was named Morrison. Yes, that was Jim's father. Some might recall a line in one of the Door's tunes where Jim exclaims: "father, I want to kill you". Uh Oh!, Was there a little bad blood between father & son?
I’ve actually been to the Surf Ballroom in the tiny town of Clear Lake Iowa, the site of the final performance by the Crickets.

They have quite a shrine in place to honor the memory of Holly, Valens and the Big Bopper.

Interesting, did you ever get a chance to interact with him? He had an estranged relationship with them to be sure. But that was poetic as much as it was reality. That entire line was taken out of story of Oedipus Rex.(sex w/ mother included)

I'm a huge fan of The Doors!

I was fortunate enough to see Tom Petty perform live at the BOK Center not long before he passed. It was a fun concert.

Perhaps, my favorite concert was Blake Shelton at the Cain's Ballroom when his career was getting going. He may have had one album then, but he wasn't all that well-known. I'm not much of a fan of his music anymore, but the concert itself was incredibly fun, he was really interactive with fans, and he did a lot of great covers.

Interesting, did you ever get a chance to interact with him?
Yes, I had to meet with him when I got promoted from 3rd class Petty Officer to 2nd Class P.O. He gave me a chevron with an extra stripe and a certificate and we visited a little. Seemed like a nice enough guy, but I didn't dare mention that I really liked his son's r&r group.

Sorry G$, I kinda thought that comment on Froggies might refer to the musicians' deaths. Shouldn't have shot my mouth off.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
They have quite a shrine in place to honor the memory of Holly, Valens and the Big Bopper.
Richie Valens (La Bamba) and The Big Bopper(Chantilly Lace) were kind of one-hit wonders but I liked them both. But Buddy Holley's music is immortal. And just like The Rascals and Felix Cavaliere, millions of black music lovers thought he & they were black artists. That portrayal of the band in NYC at the Apollo Theater in Harlem really happened. The all Black audience went silent when these 3 white boys came on stage. Three tunes later, the audience was going crazy and dancing in the aisles.

In the movie, "The Buddy Holley Story" Gary Busey got an Oscar nomination for portraying Holley. And those 3 actors did all their own music. Now ,lets go way back (it's your fault Babe, you got me started on this). 50 years ago, Busey spent a lot of time in Tulsa starting his acting career, known as Teddy Jack Eddie. Another famous actor from Tulsa, Gailaird Sartain, had a late Saturday night show between breaks in the midnight movie. Sartain, Busey, Jeanne Tripplehorn(another great actress from Tulsa) & other locals acted out hilarious skits in the "Uncanny Camp Meeting & Film Festival" show, hosted by Dr. Mazzeppa Pompazoidi (Sartain).

If you've never heard of G.ailard S.artain, go immediately, do not pass go, to Youtube and search Mazzeppa Pompazoidi & prepare to laugh. You will immediately recognize a young Sartain who only did about 50 films as a character actor, not to mention a regular on Hee-Haw. Sorry I digressed from music (again), but this piece of Tulsa show biz history is too funny to pass up.

If anybody likes Shakey Graves, then they should check out Paolo Nutini's first album, These Streets. Similar sound. Great album.

It might take most of a half-pint to listen to that voice. On the other hand, he might be the GOAT of songwriters.
His voice is precisely why I’m not a fan. I do agree his lyrics are undeniably good.

I’d prefer to read them over listening to him “sing” them.

And she was joined by Gailard's buddy Sherman Oaks (Jim Millaway) who was married to my cousin at the time.
Sherman Oaks was kind of the show's "straight man". Although he could not help laughing all the time himself. he's the guy who set up S. Artain's and Busey's craziness.

Sherman Oaks was kind of the show's "straight man". Although he could not help laughing all the time himself. he's the guy who set up S. Artain's and Busey's craziness.
I seem to recall that he and Gailard also did some writing for TV shows in the 80s.

If you've never heard of G.ailard S.artain, go immediately, do not pass go, to Youtube and search Mazzeppa Pompazoidi & prepare to laugh. You will immediately recognize a young Sartain who only did about 50 films as a character actor, not to mention a regular on Hee-Haw. Sorry I digressed from music (again), but this piece of Tulsa show biz history is too funny to pass up.

After the Uncanny Film Festival and Camp Meeting had its run on TV, Gailard and friends had a short lived radio show on KAKC. He would have Busey and Millaway on regularly and the occasional guest like Leon Russell.

One night, he had a series of jokes that fell flat. He decided to take calls from listeners and at the time KAKC had no way of delaying the calls in case of errant or deliberate foul language. Gailard asked one caller, “what do you think of tonight’s show?” The listener responded, “Not worth a f***!” As the rest of us sat there stunned, Gailard hung up the phone and responded quickly, “Not worth a duck! He said not worth a duck!”

The engineer and I were tasked with creating a tape delay system to be used on future shows and it was a real Rube Goldberg worthy creation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT